Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Oh boy! brand new to everything about this!

Edited 1471939321
Ok so.. I've never been interested in D&D until I stumbled upon a video on youtube of Vin Diesel playing some D&D with Matthew Mercer's Critical Role. Suddenly a spark went off in my brain and i was scouring youtube for Critical Role. Upon finding it i've watched a full episode a night since then and as writing this just got done watching episode 41. This is literally the only experience with pen and paper RPGs. i've never RP'd before in my life. I'm usually an MMORPG player but dont RP in them. I did pop onto roll20 because of a comment on a CR episode and made my account and went through the whole tutorial on how to use the VTT. So basically what i'm asking is if anyone would be willing to have me in their game?  I'm looking for a D&D 5e game, fully voiced as well. I dont want to be reading a chat box while playing because i have a feeling that would completely destroy my immersion. The tutorial said something about Roll20 having face cam and microphone support which makes me think while playing there will be an area on screen where all our face cams will show up? that's incredible! So basically im looking for a group of people who is willing to fully voice and face cam RP a campaign of D&D 5e similar to how Critical Role does, just over the internet instead being as i dont know a single person in real life who does this stuff. Edit: My availability would be like 10:00pm eastern standard time and later. Id say the latest i could play a game would up until about 4:00am - 5:00am. A few posts i've seen say i should post at least a little bit of what kind of character i want to play as and i've given it some thought. I really love dwarfs but i can't do the accent so that's out the window. i really like tieflings but it seems EVERYONE plays tieflings so that out the window. so therefore i think i'll just be a human if possible and class wise, i would LOVE to be a warlock or a necromancer. that's not set in stone, but just what i was thinking about. i dont even know if necromancers exist in the D&D world, but if they do.... hell yea! Sorry for rambling!! 
Hey, if you're willing to have me I'd be more than willing to join or start up a group! In the interest of full disclosure, I've never done tabletop roleplaying either. The extent of my RP experiences are a handful of threads on a few different sites and a bunch of RP storylines among online friends of mine, so I do get the basic logistics of "this is your character, act as he/she/they would act," and the various trials of organizing RP among a group of online people. But I've never done a "proper" RPG with character sheets, dice rolls, and all that. That said, I've found the concept super interesting since my earliest days of online roleplaying, and just getting into Critical Role is what's finally making me take the plunge to find a group, same as you. As for the Roll20 setup, I'm cool with trying out D&D5e, and I do have a headset that I could use for campaigns. I don't have a webcam right now unfortunately, but it's not something entirely vital to the RPG and I may buy one if I end up having fun. Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested in working something out. Would be fun to finally give this game a shot :)
of course, sounds great. im not saying a webcam is necessary, voice only is fine too. as long as i dont have to be reading a chat box lol. we need to find us a DM who can help us learn. i like the idea of having other players who are like us and brand new to this that way im not the only one learning how to do this stuff. doesnt put pressure on me as much. being the only newbie in the group can kind of put pressure on you i would imagine. I say we give it a little time and see if this thread gets any more replies. maybe someone who's willing to help us get this set up will be interested :) Do you think we should set up a "star a new game" page or just keep this thread active?
Keeping the thread active and  making a "start a new game" page might be beneficial. Better chance of reaching people in case maybe everyone don't always check the forums, and I know the "new game" page also has the option of specifying a specific start time which is nice. May be less of a challenge finding people with similar schedules if everyone knows right upfront, you know? But I mean this was your thread and idea so that's really your call.

Edited 1471938650
Ok i made a LFG page but then a mod messaged me and told me i did it wrong (i think) and that people can just join in what i made and mess with stuff so i deleted the post. I've been scouring Roll20 for a game lol
Bumpidy bump bump! :D

Edited 1472058741
So I have a Pathfinder game getting ready to start on Saturday that I won't mind having two people join. Everybody but one is brand new to rpgs, so you wouldn't feel left out, and you'll have free access to the core rules (the whole book by the way, not just a couple of pages). The only thing is that it starts at 5 EST if that's doable.
I can't speak for Curtis M. obviously, but that would be perfect for me actually! I have Saturday off this week, and so long as I can find the core rules for Pathfinder online before then I can maybe even prep a character before then.
Gold
Forum Champion
Curtis M. said: Ok i made a LFG page but then a mod messaged me and told me i did it wrong (i think) and that people can just join in what i made and mess with stuff so i deleted the post. I've been scouring Roll20 for a game lol Not sure what happened there, but it sounds like you may have posted a game-join link on the forum, instead of your game's LFG link. On your Game Details page, as GM, you can Enable the LFG listing for your game. &nbsp;Then go to your LFG and copy the link of that, to give out on forum. Wiki docs to help, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Looking_for_Group#Create_L" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Looking_for_Group#Create_L</a>...
It'll be a recurring game Marilyn, so if you're up for that, then just let me know. I'll send you a message and we can get you going for creating a character. Sound good?
oh wow looky at all the replies :D so pathfinder huh? hmm im not sure on the differences that makes me a little nervous TBH. well.. im nervous about any of this.. really nervous. but watching critical role, the group mentioned a couple things about pathfinder that makes me a little bit iffy. maybe we could get together and go over what its all about? im definatly interested dont get me wrong. idk why im so nervous haha makes no sense its just a game!!!
It would still depend on the time you could make it. It would start at 5 pm EST on Saturday.
&nbsp;im pretty sure i could pull that off. yall using skype? i'd like to learn more about this
Discord if you have that. Send me a message, the both of you and we can go from there!
well yall were talking about some random stuff there looks like it wasnt pertaining to the topic of thread? we've only been talking about getting groups together for some D&D in a LFG forum. lol
Kyle S. said: It'll be a recurring game Marilyn, so if you're up for that, then just let me know. I'll send you a message and we can get you going for creating a character. Sound good? I'm cool for a recurring game. I would like to mention upfront though that I don't have a fixed work schedule, so if 5pm EST Saturdays is going to be the regular meetup time every week/biweekly/whatever that might &nbsp;be tricky for me sometimes. That said if days and times are a little flexible down the road and you're okay with that, then I'd really love to join in