Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The app is not accessible to screen reader users

The editor has some issues that prevent me, as a blind user of your website, from participating in games: The icons in the toolbar are not labeled. Instead, I see them as "T", "I", and so on. There is no accessible way of choosing spots on the virtual tabletop. As a side-effect, there's no way of completing the tutorial. I'll be fine with not being able to draw stuff, but the essentials, like being able to view the virtual tabletop, are not done at all. Please make your application accessible so that I can use it, too. I'll <3 you for it. In fact, if you want me to test and provide more detailed feedback and actionable steps, I can do that (I'm a web developer). Thanks.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I know there are other blind (or legally blind) players on the site. I think The Aaron GMs for a game with one, he might be able to weigh in on the subject. I'll send him a PM with a link to this thread and maybe he can help you. =)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
We have tried to make the PF sheet text reader friendly.  If you manage the time/effort, we would love to hear your opinions in the  [PF] Pathfinder Sheet Thread 5 and/or private message.
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
i have tried testing it with NVDA and could not even load the site, i might not have had it set up correctly. As Vince says, if you play Pathfinder or know others who do that use screenreaders, we would like feedback on the sheet and on the rolls it creates in the chat window. We've made some aria regions and labels on most of it, but simply don't really know what else we should or can do.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I have a blind friend (some slight vision in one eye) that I've run games for and co-GM'd with. I've also run a three session game with another member of the community to help him get a feel for the interface. I'm no expert, but I'm happy to help if I can.  What screen reader are you using?
The Aaron said: I have a blind friend (some slight vision in one eye) that I've run games for and co-GM'd with. I've also run a three session game with another member of the community to help him get a feel for the interface. I'm no expert, but I'm happy to help if I can.  What screen reader are you using? I'm all for that free session idea. I'm using NVDA and VoiceOver on Mac.
chris b. said: i have tried testing it with NVDA and could not even load the site, i might not have had it set up correctly. As Vince says, if you play Pathfinder or know others who do that use screenreaders, we would like feedback on the sheet and on the rolls it creates in the chat window. We've made some aria regions and labels on most of it, but simply don't really know what else we should or can do. I unfortunately don't know anything about PathFinder, but your efforts to make an accessible sheet for one of the most popular systems is really commendable. If I do end up playing a PathFinder game (or I manage to learn the rules) I'll definitely leave feedback.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The random letters that are used for our icons are like that because that's how you set the specific icon for the icon library we are using, Pictos. I'll be honest, I haven't done any work for use by a screen reader so this is new to me. Is there a way I can give "alt text" for the element that would be read instead of the random character? I know this is just one tiny fix and there are probably tons of issues, but this would be a simple step I can take sooner rather than later and it's at least in the right direction. 
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Phil B. said: Is there a way I can give "alt text" for the element that would be read instead of the random character? I know this is just one tiny fix and there are probably tons of issues, but this would be a simple step I can take sooner rather than later and it's at least in the right direction.  Adding the aria-label  attribute to the element should be enough. As I understand it, aria-label on an arbitrary element acts similarly to the alt attribute on an image.
Phil B. said: Is there a way I can give "alt text" for the element that would be read instead of the random character? As Brian said, you should add an aria-label to the element. Be careful though; it needs to be in the lowest level in the DOM tree. So if you have an icon inside a span inside of a div inside of an unordered list, the span must have the aria-label set to the label. Let me know when you make the change; I'll check it out with multiple screen readers and give you feedback. Plus, I'll have a more careful look at the HTML source to give you real examples and actionable steps. Thanks for this step – no matter how tiny it is!
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Just to manage expectations, this is probably not something I will have time to take a look at right away, as much as I would like to. I am one of only 3 developers, and am currently in the middle of another project right now. Once I have finished with this project, though, I will push to do some of this clean-up next.