Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

How can a d&d 5e module be made

I have a few adventures that could or dont need to include world info that I would enjoy fleshing out in detail to add as modules on the marketplace.  They would be based off the 5th edition game rules but without getting permission from wizards of the coast since I know I won't. How can I put anything out that wouldn't be copyright material or the like?   Can I even reference that the dm would need the core rules books in my story? Does it need to not include any of their monsters? Where would I learn any of this? Any help would be great and also i hope I put this in the right section, I always feel I can't find the right areas on the forum for my questions so sorry in advance.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I would recommend emailing the devs with your questions as they have the most experience with building 5e modules at the moment. Contact them at <a href="mailto:Team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@roll20.net</a> and see what they say.
Thanks I really couldn't even figure out that to start.

Edited 1472133219
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
General rule of thumb that I go by is to build a module like you would for someone that would be running it at a convention. You use the core rules of what system you are building for, no 3rd party info, no house rules, etc.... You create all journals and handouts that will be needed for the game. Create all your map pages including tokens preplaced. Make sure those tokens are properly setup and linked to the appropriate sheet also. Give the GM enough room to tweak anything (s)he wants but provide the enough information that someone should be able to open the module and run it as is. On top of all that, you have to be sure you own all IP of the art used (that includes maps, tokens, and any design work). That is all I know about off the top of my head but talk to the devs and they will point out what you need to do and need to have.
I was wondering about the possibility of converting their old 4e Dark sun into 5e and having it as a module on here. Not sure how to go about doing that with WoTC and roll20.&nbsp;
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pord said: I was wondering about the possibility of converting their old 4e Dark sun into 5e and having it as a module on here. Not sure how to go about doing that with WoTC and roll20.&nbsp; You would not be able to do an official module published by Wizards. You would only be able to do a custom module (which could be set on Athas).
Thank you Pat S. for the link to the Roll20 Team. That was exactly what I needed and really just didn't understand that was the direction I was going. I found all the answers I need now. &nbsp;I'll be getting some major work done soon and I will definitely have some great modules for everyone in the near future.

Edited 1472162710
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That is great to hear and if you have specific legalese questions (IP ownership and such) please contact the devs.