Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Storm King's Thunder Official Bug Thread

Gid
Roll20 Team
Here's the official thread for reporting any bugs or issues you come across while playing the Storm King's Thunder conversion. If possible, if you find multiple things at once, please post them as a list in a single post (it makes it easier for me to keep track of them all).

Edited 1472812296
Not necessarily a bug, but my maps are all stuck at low-res, while they load fine for someone else on the same Wi-Fi as me. Any ideas? EDIT: Weirdly, the maps load in Safari, complete with enemy tokens, but then of course I can't use vidchat... EDIT 2: Works in Firefox as well. I wiped my browsing history and tried Chrome again, but no luck. I'll just use Firefox when I play with my group =P
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thanks for the heads up, Ivan. Was your fellow player who was using the same WiFi also using Chrome too or were they using one of the other browsers? I'm glad that there's a workaround so you can still play, but I completely understand having browser preference. The maps in SKT are enormous  and it was the main reason we pushed that mini-update last month to optimize handling of large campaigns.Even after the update, I do have to wait a bit for the maps to pop into full res on Chrome. Thank you for the feedback and we'll look into it.
The other player was using Safari. It's the only browser she has, but since we're playing next to each other, she just speaks to the rest of the group through my computer's mic. I tried leaving the maps to load on Chrome, but no matter how long I waited -- even stepping away for 15-20 mins and then coming back to check -- they were stuck at low-res with no enemy tokens on the board. With Firefox, everything loads in relatively quickly.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thanks, Ivan. I'll do a browser test on my end to see if I can get the same issue to happen on my end over WiFi. I suspect that if it's taking too long to pull the images in Chrome and over that connection, you hit a point where Roll20 times out and no amount of waiting will bring anything else in.

Edited 1473027401
I am suddenly unable to roll anything at all, nor type in chat. I tried opening other campaigns and they function just fine. I tried copying my current Storm King's Thunder campaign, and I get this error: Something seems to be wrong with the above roll -- it failed verification. Also, when I roll, the message " Rolling... " pops up properly, but nothing gets added to the chat window.  Any advice for this? I have tried disabling all of my API scripts as well, but no success. EDIT: I have fixed the problem. I needed all players to leave the session, allowing it to reset and refresh the chat. Rolls are working now. Hope this helps if happens with anyone else.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Huh... I'm glad you were able to get your campaign free of that issue, Trigshot. If that happens again, and if you can, try to snatch up a console log. I don't know if that was due to Storm King's Thunder, or hinting at something larger. Thank you for the report!
I'm new to using a pre-made module like this, but I noticed on some maps some of the tokens are "faded";i.e. visible, but I as the DM can't move them or access them in anyway. Other tokens on the same maps are fine, though. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with what layer I'm on or anything like that. For example, the map with the dryads in the trees..(sorry I can't remember which one). The dryad tokens are visible in the four trees, but I can't do anything with them. The other monster tokens I can manipulate. As I said, I'm pretty new to this, so I'm sure there's something easy I'm not seeing or doing. I don't have the "dynamic lighting" upgrade or anything like that, so maybe I need a more advanced version of Roll20, lol. This is the first module I've ever purchased, because I wanted to see how easy it was to run on the platform. So far, it's a bit overwhelming! Thx, JTS
Silvyre
Forum Champion
JTS , it sounds like those Tokens are on the GM Info Layer . Try switching to that Layer and moving them to a different Layer (e.g. by right-clicking on them).

Edited 1473120156
Gid
Roll20 Team
What Silvyre said. Some of the tokens are on the GM Info Layer so you can drop them mid scene so as not to spoil the surprise for your party. I do get what you mean, JTS, about this module being very overwhelming. It's the largest conversion we have ever done. It's massive on content and massive on scale literally because it involves giants of all stripes. Just keep in mind that this is an adventure that spans level 1 to 10, so you and your party will be digging through this adventure for a good long time. Hopefully once the shock of how big this module is fades and you play a session or two with it on the Roll20 platform it will feel less overwhelming. You can also cut down on some of the sheer number of Pages and Journals by archiving them until you're at that part of the adventure. When you archive an item, it goes into a storage bin which you can retrieve later. See:  How To Archive Pages and  How to Archive Journal Entries
Noting that it looks like the character sheet is defaulting to the variant encumbrance rule. A strength 10 character is reading as encumbered at 50 lbs., when the standard rule should give him a carrying capacity of 150 lbs. I haven't determined if it's affecting the macros for calculating speed or rolls. This may or may not be intentional.
Thanks for the quick response, I get it now...I have to change the layer first, and then right click on the token to move it another layer... The module looks great and I'll be eager to try and give it a run...
Dynamic Lighting performance issues are resulting in the map scrolling, zooming, token movement, etc being very jerky.  The things that seem to make this worse are: multiple light source tokens, multiple tokens with "has sight" (which the SKT creatures have enabled by default), presence of multiple DL polygons (like all the rocks in Nightstone), and using light sources instead of just global illumination. What can we do to improve performance?  (Other than turning off dynamic lighting all together.) Also - why are the rocks spotted with dynamic lighting circles, but the buildings themselves aren't?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Sredni Vashtar said: Dynamic Lighting performance issues are resulting in the map scrolling, zooming, token movement, etc being very jerky.  The things that seem to make this worse are: multiple light source tokens, multiple tokens with "has sight" (which the SKT creatures have enabled by default), presence of multiple DL polygons (like all the rocks in Nightstone), and using light sources instead of just global illumination. What can we do to improve performance?  (Other than turning off dynamic lighting all together.) Also - why are the rocks spotted with dynamic lighting circles, but the buildings themselves aren't? Most of the maps in SKT use global illumination. The only ones that don't have unlit caves or cavern grottos as part of its design, where there are four in total: Dripping Caves, Eye of the All-Father, Deadstone Cleft, and Iymirth's Lair 2. As you mentioned, Has Sight, seems to be the one feature that causes these maps to bog down considerably. With the Dripping Caves, I turned all the Has Sight for commoner's tokens, save for Morak, off, and the map processes far better. In our previous adventure, Mines of Phandelver, several GMs spoke up asking for NPCs to have Has Sight enabled by default. The sticky wicket are the sheer size of these maps. For instance, Deadstone Cleft's cavern dungeon spans a footprint of 800 by 1,140 feet! Some things that can help with map load: Disabling Has Sight on NPC tokens, Enable Only Update on Drop on the Page Settings window, and enable Global Illumination for the four maps that don't have it on. While you lose some of the feel of dark dungeon delving with that last one, it will hopefully make it easier to manage your battle maps. I'll check with the coders about whether there's some optimization that can be done regarding tokens with Has Sight enabled, as that appears to be the principle cause of bloat. Your observations on how Nightstone's DL were drawn are absolutely valid. Looking it over, there are circles used for the boulders (circles shouldn't be used for dynamic lighting), and the buildings should have perimeter walls.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Dustin M. said: Noting that it looks like the character sheet is defaulting to the variant encumbrance rule. A strength 10 character is reading as encumbered at 50 lbs., when the standard rule should give him a carrying capacity of 150 lbs. I haven't determined if it's affecting the macros for calculating speed or rolls. This may or may not be intentional. I'll check with Phil on this. The character sheet used in Storm King's Thunder is the official Roll20 5th Edition OGL sheet.
Hopefully the right place but the compendium has spells that are not 5e compatible (the description of Animal Friendship) or is missing some spells, such as Dissonant Whispers are the Friends cantrip.

Edited 1473263437
Gid
Roll20 Team
We're currently developing a patching system for our modules so a GM can bring in updates without requiring recreating a campaign simply to enjoy any fixes made in the future. We went about editing the Dripping Caves map's dynamic lighting to help minimize load times. We identified the issue with that map was the amount of detail to the DL drawing, so a less version using less walls was redrafted. This should help running that page signifigantly. This change is on the live version of the module and now available when you make a new copy of the module. The encumbrance calculations on the Roll20 D&D 5th Edition OGL character sheet are completely optional and don't affect any of the rolls and macros linked with it. They can be disregarded entirely if you choose not to use them.
Visbulme said: Hopefully the right place but the compendium has spells that are not 5e compatible (the description of Animal Friendship) or is missing some spells, such as Dissonant Whispers are the Friends cantrip. The Compendium can only contain content that has been released by Wizards of the Coast via the  SRD . None of the things you've mentioned are part of that, so roll20 can not put it in the Compendium unless WotC update their SRD to include them.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Visbulme said: Hopefully the right place but the compendium has spells that are not 5e compatible (the description of Animal Friendship) or is missing some spells, such as Dissonant Whispers are the Friends cantrip. Not quite the right place, Visbulme, but that's alright. This thread is for reporting on specific issues with Storm King's Thunder, our recently released D&D module. That being said, when you mean not 5e compatible, do you mean that the Compendium does not match some of the rules in the 5th Edition D&D rulebook? The Compendium is currently using the 5th Edition OGL, which has some items intentionally missing from the D&D rulebooks as they're IP of Wizards of the Coast (for instance, you won't be able to find an entry on displacer beasts or beholders) and not legally available as part of the open game license.
Cannot seem to find any information on this, but what sheet is SKT coded for? Set to OGL right now seems to be okay for the NPC side of things. But for players...the sheets are a mess and sections run into each other. Set to the Community Sheet, only about 1% of the stats and info are loaded...basically just the NPC name. And the Shaped, 85% is filled in, but the important, and most time consuming part is neglected, the spells. All sheet options are default set to roll whisper to GM which is a pain having to manually set to be a non hidden roll. My players are currently using a legacy shaped sheet version 16th January 2016 from a game a made a long time ago and so far was the best version of the shaped sheet I have found.
The Young Green Dragon has no Token. The White Dragons don't have cold damage in their bite. Both easy to fix, but better to fix globally.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Christopher K. said: Cannot seem to find any information on this, but what sheet is SKT coded for? The official OGL by Roll20 Character Sheet. But for players...the sheets are a mess and sections run into each other. What is your browser's zoom level set to? In Firefox and Chrome the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-0 will reset the zoom level to default (100%). Could you please try out Ctrl-0 and let us know if it helps? If not, you might try working through our guide to Solving Technical Issues .

Edited 1473289457
Christopher K. said: Cannot seem to find any information on this, but what sheet is SKT coded for? Set to OGL right now seems to be okay for the NPC side of things. But for players...the sheets are a mess and sections run into each other. Set to the Community Sheet, only about 1% of the stats and info are loaded...basically just the NPC name. And the Shaped, 85% is filled in, but the important, and most time consuming part is neglected, the spells. All sheet options are default set to roll whisper to GM which is a pain having to manually set to be a non hidden roll. My players are currently using a legacy shaped sheet version 16th January 2016 from a game a made a long time ago and so far was the best version of the shaped sheet I have found. OGL is what all the roll20 WotC modules are designed for. The designer of the Shaped sheet has set up a partial conversion in the sheet (as you have found), but he is currently away for the next 2 weekends and so he is unable to continue working on the conversion atm. Community will likely never work with the modules as the creator is no longer updating the sheet.
I've been working with Shaped and for non-pcs, it's working pretty well. A lot of the dragons had issues with attacks, but I just had to drop them back on the sheet from the SRD and delete the duplicate traits and legendary actions.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I don't know if this would be considered a bug or a feature suggestion, but a few of the maps' dynamic lighting layers have a few holes where I am not certain there is supposed to be. This is me being REALLY picky; the module seems amazing otherwise. In Nightstone, the palisades have small gaps in between them and the towers that don't block vision. This may be intentional to allow players to sneak up and peek through those cracks, but the text doesn't mention this (in fact it says they're sealed with tar), and it creates a lot of visual noise in all other cases. I feel there should be vision blocking poly surrounding the sidebar locations, like the temple, stable, etc, as players who are outside of the village can see into that section when they're not supposed to, especially since the titles of those locations are on the map layer and not the DM layer. For example, while inside the temple, you can see out into the words "Nandar Keep" Lastly, the rocks use a circle vision blocker, despite that not being supported in Roll20. I'd also say that those probably don't need vision blocking as the text says they have a 3 foot diameter. They add a lot to visual clutter for the player. I haven't looked at many other maps with vision blocking, and this is the first module I've used for Roll20, so I don't know if these are the norm. I understand it's especially difficult, being constrained to the map images provided, so you guys did an amazing job with it. I can't express how hype I am to run it!

Edited 1473347353
My players and I are currently unable to view or edit any character sheets. Every time I select a character to open, I'm shown a blank form. When I click "Edit," I get a message that says "ERROR: Unable to find character to edit." This holds true for NPCs and enemies included in the module as well. We're scheduled for our first session in less than 12 hours -- any ideas about what's going on? EDIT: I tried going into another one of my games and editing characters there, and I'm able to open and edit them in that game. So it seems like it's a SKT-only issue, as far as I can tell.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Robert D. said: The Young Green Dragon has no Token. The White Dragons don't have cold damage in their bite. Both easy to fix, but better to fix globally. It looks like something about our Compendium isn't carrying over the additional elemental damage of the white dragon's bite. The cold damage is listed in the Compendium entries, but when you drag it to craft a new NPC with it, that element doesn't copy. I made a ticket to review that. And thanks for catching that about the green dragon. I'm holding off on tinkering/correcting the module further until we have the patching system in place, but I am compiling a list.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Mik H. said: I don't know if this would be considered a bug or a feature suggestion, but a few of the maps' dynamic lighting layers have a few holes where I am not certain there is supposed to be. This is me being REALLY picky; the module seems amazing otherwise. In Nightstone, the palisades have small gaps in between them and the towers that don't block vision. This may be intentional to allow players to sneak up and peek through those cracks, but the text doesn't mention this (in fact it says they're sealed with tar), and it creates a lot of visual noise in all other cases. I feel there should be vision blocking poly surrounding the sidebar locations, like the temple, stable, etc, as players who are outside of the village can see into that section when they're not supposed to, especially since the titles of those locations are on the map layer and not the DM layer. For example, while inside the temple, you can see out into the words "Nandar Keep" Lastly, the rocks use a circle vision blocker, despite that not being supported in Roll20. I'd also say that those probably don't need vision blocking as the text says they have a 3 foot diameter. They add a lot to visual clutter for the player. I haven't looked at many other maps with vision blocking, and this is the first module I've used for Roll20, so I don't know if these are the norm. I understand it's especially difficult, being constrained to the map images provided, so you guys did an amazing job with it. I can't express how hype I am to run it! It's okay to be picky. When we get critique, we use this information to better craft future module conversions. I previously did some repair work on the Nightstone DL map as another user brought to my attention the circles being used. I completely forgot that the text describes these boulders are only 3' in diameter. If you're exclusively going by the art, they look like they're diameter is closer to 5' and presenting more of an obstruction than they really do. That's also a good point about the Nightstone sidebar. It should get some dividers in the same fashion we handled the Svardborg Lodges map. I'll revisit this once we have the patching system in place. If you see anything else off, please continue bringing them up in this thread.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ivan B. said: My players and I are currently unable to view or edit any character sheets. Every time I select a character to open, I'm shown a blank form. When I click "Edit," I get a message that says "ERROR: Unable to find character to edit." This holds true for NPCs and enemies included in the module as well. We're scheduled for our first session in less than 12 hours -- any ideas about what's going on? EDIT: I tried going into another one of my games and editing characters there, and I'm able to open and edit them in that game. So it seems like it's a SKT-only issue, as far as I can tell. I made a copy of your campaign and I'm seeing the same issue. In my case, when I click OK on the error message, if I wait a half minute, the sheet finally loads and all the journal entries are then editable. Do you ever get to that point where the journal entries eventually load?

Edited 1473351265
No, not yet. I also keep getting the red box "server interruption" message, though this isn't happening when I connect to my other non-module campaign. Do you have any idea what we can do to counter this issue and play? EDIT: Everything just popped into place! Chat's working, characters are editable, and maps are loading. What sort of wizardry did you guys pull? ;)
Gid
Roll20 Team
To get the server interruption message, it means that Roll20 is having trouble keeping a consistent connection with your client. Which is more common when working through a wireless connection. It's possible that this is happening for this particular module because of just how much content is in this one. After digging through this some more, I noticed that you don't have the Roll20 5th Edition Character Sheet integrated in the campaign. I assume this was an intentional decision (correct my if I'm wrong there)? There's quite a few errors popping up which I suspect has something to do with remnant attributes left over from the character sheet. Though this issue still persists regardless whether the character sheet is in the campaign or not. I made my own personal copy of SKT and encountering this issue too when I create a character. I'm going to talk to the coders to see what might be causing this.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ivan B. said: EDIT: Everything just popped into place! Chat's working, characters are editable, and maps are loading. What sort of wizardry did you guys pull? ;) We didn't actually do anything...yet. What likely happened is that your campaign fully loaded after waiting enough time. This isn't ideal so I'm still going to talk this over with the other Devs.

Edited 1473352443
I do have the character sheet included in the game -- we're using the "5th Edition (OGL by Roll 20)" sheet. I just verified this by checking in my game settings. The campaign module seems to be working fine for now, but please do let me know what's up with the character sheet stuff. I'd been reloading the page over and over again, and it wasn't just being dysfunctional for me. When it worked, it worked at the same time for everyone. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on behind the scenes and making it all finicky. We're definitely using the right character sheet though, as 4 of my players have already finished doing their characters in the game, complete with sheets. I didn't choose a different one other than the default one that's preselected with the module. Two of them imported their characters, but we'd used the same sheet in our original "practice" group as is being used in SKT.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Okay, it may have just been an issue when I copied your campaign to analyze it. The character sheet must have popped off in the process. This is a campaign loading issue due to campaign size. Storm King's Thunder is a heavy clunker. We probably need to include a "Loading..." message in this case. When you load your campaign, how long does it take for your journal entries to appear, open one, and then eventually switch from being blank to being entirely filled?

Edited 1473353828
Now, the entries are loading immediately. This is also the first time we've run into this problem. The weird thing is that it was happening not just for me and my wife, on our home Wi-Fi, but also for my friend at work, where the internet should be top-notch. When it worked for us, it worked for him as well. I'll close my campaign, open it again, and see how it is. I'll update this post shortly. EDIT: Map and Journal are loaded, but characters are blank and unable to be found again after I click to open them. Maybe it just needs to sit for 5-10 minutes, but this has never happened before since I installed the module and have been dicking around with it to prep. EDIT 2: Yep, it's good now. I guess it's just a loading issue, but since you were able to replicate the same error when you copied my campaign, do you think there's something wrong with my group specifically?
Gid
Roll20 Team
That is a pretty long load time if it's taking longer than five minutes to get your character sheets up and available. Load times are always going to be longer over a wireless connection, but that's still quite long. Do you know how long exactly it took to have your journal entries displaying? I don't think there's anything in particular wrong with your campaign. I have a wait time of 17 seconds over my connection on my own copy of SKT when I load the campaign and try to immediately open a journal entry. For you, I suspect it's a matter of how big the campaign is and trying to combat a wireless connection, which are always slower than being directly connected.

Edited 1473355598
I can't say exactly, as I'd navigated to some other tabs while the game wasn't responding. When I went back to reload it for another try, I saw that it was working. I'll keep my fingers crossed for our first SKT game tomorrow. Thanks for spending so much time looking into this problem for me.
This isn't really a bug just something that's difficult for me reading the adventure. In The Masters Vault free adventure, when you scale the handout windows the text will reformat so its readable scrolling. In the Storm King it does not. So when reading a chapter or having a window open to read to players its super wide and you have to scroll right and left instead of just down. Any way to change this so no matter what size my window is the text will format so its ALL visable in one screen??
Gid
Roll20 Team
That doesn't sound like something we had intended when making the module. Can you supply a screenshot of what you're seeing, Greg?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Greg C. said: In The Masters Vault free adventure, when you scale the handout windows the text will reformat so its readable scrolling. In the Storm King it does not. It sounds like you're using Window Popouts within your SKT game. Window Popouts handle wordwrap differently than the widgets, as you've described.
I suppose this isn't strictly-speaking a bug, but is there a player-friendly version of the map of the North? The page with the map seems like it was intended to be a DM map and is not a map I would want to show my players. It shows the locations of every single major plot point, including the lairs of every major antagonist. Finding these hidden lairs is supposed to be a significant arc of the adventure. 
Gid
Roll20 Team
Jordan P. said: I suppose this isn't strictly-speaking a bug, but is there a player-friendly version of the map of the North? The page with the map seems like it was intended to be a DM map and is not a map I would want to show my players. It shows the locations of every single major plot point, including the lairs of every major antagonist. Finding these hidden lairs is supposed to be a significant arc of the adventure.  Unfortunately, that is the only version of that map we have. My recommendation for using it with players is using Fog of War or dynamic lighting to only light up the immediate area around the party.
The Stone Giant Statue's token isn't set up (it's the wrong size and its HP and AC aren't set up, nor is its nameplate.) The Stone Giant of Deadstone Cleft's toke has no AC.
Was Rock Catching removed from the Stone Giant's on purpose? It looks like the new options just add to the stat block. They don't seem to replace Rock Catchin, unless I'm missing that somewhere.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Robert D. said: The Stone Giant Statue's token isn't set up (it's the wrong size and its HP and AC aren't set up, nor is its nameplate.) The Stone Giant of Deadstone Cleft's toke has no AC. Thank you, Robert. I'll add it to the list of corrections we need to make Robert D. said: Was Rock Catching removed from the Stone Giant's on purpose? It looks like the new options just add to the stat block. They don't seem to replace Rock Catchin, unless I'm missing that somewhere. Rock Catching should be listed under Reactions of the NPC sheet.
Gold
Forum Champion
Hello! Question here, after consideration I think it is intentional and not a bug. Is it meant that 5 handouts are not categorized in nested subfolders under Player Handouts, and all the other handouts are categorized there? Under Player Handouts, there are 2 nice subfolders, "Creatures & Monsters", "Scenes & Locations".  After the last of those, at the bottom I find 5 more Handouts which are not in either of these 2 subfolders, and I wonder what is the reason for that? (Golden Goose Coin, Harshnag, Harshnag's Map, Hydia, Queen). The contents of those Handouts is generally most similar to the contents of the Scenes & Locations (basically they are cut-scene pictures or illustrations with no text, that the GM will remember to pop-up for the players at the appropriate time). My guess is perhaps those 5 handouts were not considered 'Monsters' or 'Locations' (since they are more like a coin and a map which are objects, and 3 people who are NPC), is that the correct reasoning?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Gold said: The contents of those Handouts is generally most similar to the contents of the Scenes & Locations (basically they are cut-scene pictures or illustrations with no text, that the GM will remember to pop-up for the players at the appropriate time). My guess is perhaps those 5 handouts were not considered 'Monsters' or 'Locations' (since they are more like a coin and a map which are objects, and 3 people who are NPC), is that the correct reasoning? Pretty much that. Those were the five items that didn't really have a concise subfolder "home" for them, but we didn't want to leave them out of the campaign.
Bugbear javelins marked as 2d6 instead of 1d6.
Quick question.... when will we know when the updates are made?
Gid
Roll20 Team
The way we're designing the update patch is that after a correction has been made, the next time you visit your copy of a marketplace module, you'll get a popup message asking if you want to accept new corrections. Once we have that code ready to launch, we'll make the corrections to the module and I'll post a patch list when it's all done.