Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GuloxLilly, 17th of Abadarius, Way back to Sandpoint

Gulo sat cross legged by the fire, looking at the charm the child had given him, he rather liked the color pink, the color of dried blood, perhaps he would get a a pink suit, yes, in sandpoint. Then he thought of how he would repay the young wizard for such a charm, he looked over to her "Lilly, how much do you know of my people, Hobgoblins?"
The young human girl wrings her hands with the effort of deep thought. Her eyes are cast skyward as if a star would send the message to her. She worries her lip with her teeth before looking at Gulo with a gentle shrug. "Well...goblins are mean, I guess, and they'll eat your face and they live in sewers and they, um, are short like me."
"Yes those are goblins, but I am a hobgoblin. I can tell you the story of how hobgoblins came to be, it is one rarely told to non hobgoblins and I myself have only told it to one other, would you care to hear it?" he says, his voice solemn and serious.
Lilly's eyes brighten and she hardly contains her bounce as she moves closer to Gulo in order to give him her full attention. "I wanna know! Please tell me!" she begs thought her voice is more happy than pleading.
Gulo nods, gesturing for the child to take a spot by the fire before he begins his tale, as he goes on he becomes more animated, standing and making great gestures as it goes on "Long ago, when the world was young Moloch took note that all the other gods had agents on the living world, the elven gods had their people, as did the gods of man and the gods of dwarves, even the orcish gods had their crude creations, but Moloch, for as great and powerful as he was, had none. He sought to remedy this and looked to the mortal races to see which he would take as his own, but all disgusted him, yet in the goblinoids he saw promise, the bugbears were strong and cruel and knew the ways of hunting, but were savage and petty, while the goblins were frail and weak but made for it and cunning and trickery So he took the best of each race and threw them into his foundry, and adding his own infernal blood forged the two races into one, and named them Hobgoblins. he looked upon his creations and declared "Go forth in my name and wage great wars the likes of which this plane has never known, prove to me that you were worthy of creation!" this is what all hobgoblins live for, for when we die we will stand before the Ashen Bull, and should he find us worthy he will reforge us again as great devils and we will serve in his great army." when he is finished he sits back down, catching his breath and wiping the sweat from his brow.
Lilly remained still, awestruck. "What's a Malluck?"
Gulo smiles "Moloch, the Ashen Bull, the Great Forgemaster and General of all of Hell Legions, and master of the Hobgoblins."
Lilly nods. "have you ever met him?" she asks curiously
"If only I we're so lucky, but our war priests dedicated a statue in his honor." he knells down, drawing in the snow "He is a massive being in full black spiked armor with massive horns on the helm, from every space in the armor spews forth great fire!" Gulo stands back up, pantomiming swings "In one hands he wields a terrible sword called Ramithaine and in the other a battleaxe called Goreletch! No one what he truly looks like under his armor, but I like to think he modeled hobgoblins after himself." he says rather thoughtfully.
Lilly rests her chin in her hands as she observes Gulo's art. "He sounds scary Gulo. What if," she begins, concern on her face. "What if he wants to eat my face?"
"Moloch has no mouth, so it is logical to assume he has stomach, so no need to eat you. Neither are you a worshiper of Moloch, so your soul belongs to your gods, not him." Gulo said rather matter of factly.
Lilly considers this for a moment then nods. "That's okay then. Sometimes I like Desna but sometimes I like Shelyn and then sometimes I like Abadar but then there was Sarenrae and Ukawada like her." She shrugs. "Maybe little girls don't have to worry about the gods because maybe gods don't worry about little girls. Gulo, do you have a little girl?"
"No, I have no children, thou hobgoblins do no have families, so it no loss." 
Lilly fiddles with dirty fingers, picking at a scab or her cuticles. "Do have a girlfriend? Is she pretty?"
Gulo thinks for a moments "There is Synovia, Gebri, Sadie, all of whom I would call "pretty" by their perspective races standards, so I have three girlfriends, if you count dead ones."
Synovia, who has been listening to his story, raises an eyebrow at the mention of her name in the context of being his girlfriend.
Lilly smiles and giggles behind her hands. "Have you kissed them?", she asks softly moving nearer to Gulo. He behavior suggests that she has entered into scandalous territory.
Gulo looks over to her "You are my friend, and I have more then enough of you to confirm you are a woman, so you are my girlfriend." He says matter of factly.
Synovia face palms
"No, why would I do that?" Gulo thinks for a moment before saying "What does girlfriend mean, exactly?"
Lilly stares at Gulo a little dumbfounded. She pursed her lips and looked back at Synovia. "I dunno. Maybe a girl you like and you want to marry and have babies with...Maybe, I dunno."
"That is a very good explaination, Lilly." She says with a smirk.
"Oh, then I have none, nor will I thankfully ever, and if you are lucky you will never be cursed by such a terrible thing."
Lilly frowns and considers Gulo's art on the ground. She looks back at her father and brothers who are talking around the bonfire. "Yeah. I don't wanna die like Mommy. It's too sad," she says finally.
"Quite, I have seen how such things drive even the sound of people into madness, best to stay focus on your craft, Saida z."