Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Editable Index Cards and Roll20

I'm thinking about how to use Roll20 and its background image canvas for deploying and handling index cards with Aspects during FATE games. The capability of writing on index cards ("tokens" turned into images) is there, but right now I can't figure how to arrange an index card template with editable text : I'd like to be able to dynamically adjust the text in midst of the game without needing to delete the former text and adding the new one before grouping it again with the image each time. Grouping both card and text is important if you want movable index cards along the tabletop. But once you place text with the Text tool, grouped or not, it's no longer editable. I'm aware I can create these index cards with external apps (Photoshop, MS Word) for getting JPG files ready to be dragged and dropped into the +Roll20 page canvas, although I'd like to see if there is a way of handling this from within the very VTT. Any ideas?
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can edit text by double clicking on the text while using the select tool. I use this regularly in my games to edit text. - Gauss
Gauss, Oh, let me check that!
That is right, but I can't edit text if it has been grouped along with the index card image ("token"). For being able to edit it (by means of the double clicking you mentioned), I need to select and Ungroup; and after editing, to Group again, which is a bit bothersome.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can edit it by holding down the Alt key and then double clicking the grouped object you wish to edit. Note: this will not work if the grouped object is already selected. Procedure: Hit ESC or click on 'nothing' (somewhere other than the grouped object you want). Hold down ALT and double click on the grouped object you want. Edit the object. - Gauss
It's a bit fiddly in practice but it works. Thank you!
Gauss
Forum Champion
NP Axel. :) - Gauss
I'd also love to be able to rotate grouped tokens, for handling these index cards in a more dynamic way. My intention is to place them above cool image backgrounds and such.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Rotation of an entire group is not possible that I am aware of without rearranging the elements of the group. Rotation and movement of individual elements within a group is possible by using the Alt key as I have shown above. - Gauss
You are right Gauss, I was only making a comment without trying to make a strong point. The capability for being able to rotate grouped tokens has been requested in other threads.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhhh, ok. I didnt catch that. - Gauss
Yes, rotating groups could be used, for exemple, to rotate a vehicle with passengers (imagine a fight on board of a drakkar that must be pivoted for exemple, or a chase between canoes with a few figures onboard,...).