Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interest Check: Looking for Players and GM for Burning Wheel

Edited 1474654012
Hey everyone, I'm a pretty experienced role player with most of my time focused on D&D5e and Pathfinder. I recently discovered Burning Wheel and thought it would be fun to learn and play. I have zero experience with the system but have been reading the books and watching the Roll20 twitch series. Days that I'm available are Wednesday or Thursday evening around 6pm till 10pm EST. Any interested players or GMs can respond here and we can also discuss potential setting and number of lifepaths. Thanks in advance Thomas
Hi Thomas, I've played BW briefly about 6 years ago maybe and posted looking for people for BW, Torchbearer, or Mouse Guard recently.  Your desired time slots work perfectly with me actually too.  I'd love to get in on something if we can find enough interested people.  Keep me in the loop please! :)
Will do! Thanks for showing interest!
I have never played burning wheel but I am a semi-experienced Pathfinder  player. If you're still looking for players I'd be interested. 
Ok, looks like we've got three folks interested in playing. Anyone out there familiar with the system and able to GM?
Hey Josh, do you have the BW rules?  Have you read any of it?  It's pretty complicated, but it's a neat game.  Pretty different from Pathfinder though (I've heard that's sort of a 3.75?).
What is the standard number of players in a Roll20 game?  I've watched a bit of Torchbearer, Mouse Guard, and Burning Wheel archived Roll20 shows on Youtube and it seems like 3 is normal, but that seems pretty lean.  4-5 seems better, but not sure how much more chaos that adds to a video chat type game, plus the possible speed issues.
4-5 is an average yeah I'd say so. And for burning wheel I don't know we would want to go larger than that.
Yeah, I think 4-5 is a great number if we can find folks.  Would you guys want to do audio or video too?  I personally like the idea of video (assuming my 2012 Macbook Pro can handle it!), facial expressions and gestures can be useful in RPing I think. C
Yes! I want to play, I've heard about this game for a while but, no one is running one in my groups. I would be sticking to voice, I have no issues with video but I usually have a very dim lit environment so a camera isn't going to pick up anyway. Since this game revolves heavily around the PC's telling the story by their beliefs, storytelling telling is a big part of this. You don't have to be a scholar to play but when you create your character I suggest you create something very similar to yourself or something you know you are good with, for instance if you pick a chaotic good and you aren't interested in doing the "right" thing the entire time, you are going to eventually get bored with the character. We can use the roll 20 microphone system it works pretty good, or we can use discord if you just can't get Roll20 to work. 

Edited 1474930093
I'm also available on Wednesday's at the same time the original poster is, I can't do the game on Tuesdays I have prior obligations.  Also from what I've read and look into it, this game can become very serious pretty quickly, considering we the PC are creating it. The GM will not be creating the environment, we will. Now granted this is traditional rules, the GM is really the person that makes life just hard and challenging. There is a rule called "let it ride" So if you roll something if you pass you or failed it's on you. There are no second chances, so if you decide to get the drop on a guard and you fail, it's on you. Now, you can roll again if failure drives the plot (if you are going to die in combat)  Now, when I say this game is fully involved, you decide EVERYTHING, from child birth until Game one. It's amazing, it will take a couple of day's to create the characters or just one really involved session. I would prefer mature players (inexperience is fine) just no one younger than 18.  The reason I say this, if you bring this world to life you will have to really go through everything and Combat, and I mean... everything... If you understand what I'm saying. So whatever you do in this game, however you act, your choices, you can't change them, it's just like real life, the stats don't go up every 10 sessions, It's based on a very real standing as well. So if you are looking for something Stat heavy don't play this. 

Edited 1474930408
This game is really like a novel, the game rewards on you on how good you can play the character, not the stats and being just a damaging character. You will know ahead of time most of the times what is gonna happen before you roll against something. So I suggest someone have the book and really know it if they are going to be doing this. This game is design is very interesting, the attack system is a whole other beast, as well I haven't even gotten started telling you how that goes haha. Well I've rambled enough, but if you guy's really want to play I'm certainly interested this is right up my alley, and I REALLY want to play because I love to role play. Haha
Burning wheel is much easier  to manage with fewer players. I would recommend a maximum party of 3 for your first game. As a GM you have to keep track of a ton of stuff about your players in order to reward them properly.
Thanks for the insight.  I'm not in charge of the game, but it seems a lot needs to be sorted out if/when we have a GM.  Still holding onto hope.
Well if you guy's find a GM, just send me a message. I'm open to play the game. 
Sweet, hopefully Thomas will add you to the placeholder for the group then :)

Edited 1475453624
So is this game/idea stalled out or are there still players pursuing this?