Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5E Shaped Character Sheet] Way to Whisper in Class Actions?

Howdy guys... Question about the 5e Sheet... is there a method to do a whisper/gm roll for a Class Action, able to be triggered by the Class Action through the "Show Output Options?" Example... say I have a Wild Magic Sorcerer player who casts a spell, which could trigger their Wild Magic Surge. I'd like to roll a d100 every time they cast a spell for me to determine if their Wild Magic should flare up or not. I'd like to only see this as the DM. Now, I can do this everytime myself as a DM, but why do the work? Is there any way to automate this roll so that only the DM can see it?
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Would you want the rolling player to see it as well? If so, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard. If you don't want the originating player to see the roll, it'd require some API shennanigans.

Edited 1474739542
Franky H. said: Would you want the rolling player to see it as well? If so, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard. If you don't want the originating player to see the roll, it'd require some API shennanigans. Ideally, they (nor anyone else) wouldn't see it. I am also thinking of another use for a particular cursed item that might randomly trigger a negative effect when an attack is made. If the player saw the dice roll, they'd ask what it was doing on their roll. If, as the DM, I alone am privy to it, I can (seemingly randomly, making it hard to identify there even is a curse) dole out the effect. 
With roll20 (and no API), the player making the roll will always see the (whole) output, so it's kinda difficult to do if you want to be the only one to see the thing. The closest option that I can think of would be to add a button to every spell (attacher) that whisper the roll to the dm, and click on that every time needed. You still need to do it manually, but at least there is a reminder, and it's not taking room in your macro bar. What you could maybe do is hide freetext (look in the option tab) and then set the roll as a freetext. The only drawback is that it will hide all freetext. But that will still not be perfect for your cursed weapon unfortunately, because whatever you do with the macro of that weapon is gonna be in the character sheet of the player holding it, so he might randomly see that something isn't right (for exemple by adding another weapon). If your player is not paying attention to that kind of things/does not really know how the character sheet work, then it might be good.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ya, alzam outlined the technical challenges quite well. Unfortunately roll20 has no mechanism to hide certain parts of roll templates just for the gm.
I figured as much. Thanks for the espouses guys!