Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Idea/Request?] Map Export

Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
Hey All, Has anyone tried to do this? I painstakingly created a huge town map with loads of detail using tiles from the marketplace, only to find that it completely killed several of the slower computers trying to load it. I've realised that I'm better off doing most of the map in Inkscape or Gimp and importing it as a flat background JPG, but  I can't quite face having to redraw it from scratch. In principle, I'm guessing that it ought to be possible to dump the whole map layer as e.g. SVG and then load it in, but my experience with SVG is limiting to debugging things that don't work the way I expect in Inkscape + I'm not enormously excited about the idea of trying to work with it without at least a proper XML proper library. Before I have a go, has anyone already done something like this? Does anyone have anything I could use to help? Are there any webservices that I could use to do some of the heavy lifting maybe? My initial thought was probably to dump the core data as JSON and then write an offline program that can actually use an SVG library to make things a bit easier... Cheers,
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Translating from SVG to drawings is actually pretty easy. The path data for Roll20 drawings is basically in SVG format so you should be able to just minimally transform it and concatenate it all into a handout, then copy it to a text file and add the right SVG headers and a .svg extension. That's something I can help you with if you don't need it until October...  :)