Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ruler doesn't match grid scale

Ok, so I have my grid units set to 1=5 feet. The scale of the grid is set to .5. But the ruler tool is still reading the same as if I had never changed these units. No matter what I change these units to the ruler always comes up measuring the same. Is this normal functionality, a bug, or am I missing something?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Ethan, Do you mean that with the grid scale set to 0.5 the ruler is not telling you that each grid square is 2.5 feet? If this is not what you are asking, just ignore my following ramblings. The grid scale doesn't have any effect on the measurement size of the grid, it just makes it so that you can fit more grid squares into fewer pixels (e.g. 0.5 scale would make each square 35px X 35px). If you want to change a square from 5 feet to say 400 miles, then use the grid units area. Hope that helps, Scott

Edited 1474897764
Nevermind... Now I'm the one who misunderstood what you meant.

Edited 1474900484
Scott C. said: Hi Ethan, Do you mean that with the grid scale set to 0.5 the ruler is not telling you that each grid square is 2.5 feet? If this is not what you are asking, just ignore my following ramblings. The grid scale doesn't have any effect on the measurement size of the grid, it just makes it so that you can fit more grid squares into fewer pixels (e.g. 0.5 scale would make each square 35px X 35px). If you want to change a square from 5 feet to say 400 miles, then use the grid units area. Hope that helps, Scott Thanks Scott. Unfortunately, no matter what I put into the grid units, 5, 20, 100, the ruler still measures each square I have on my map as 2.5 ft. This is with the grid units set to .5. So it's as if the ruler is using the "real world" scale of Roll20 (like if I used an actual ruler on a table top - wouldn't matter what I claimed my grid represented, my ruler is still going to show an inch being an inch, if you take my meaning).  I want my grid squares to each equal 5 ft and have the ruler reflect that.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
try it with the grid scale set to 1. Also try changing the unit from feet to something else and see if it does it then. But this otherwise sounds like a bug with roll20.
Ok, I'm not sure what happened but it appears to be working now. The grid is set to .5, and so the units need to be set to 1 unit = 10 to have my grid squares equal 5 ft. I may be crazy, but earlier I couldn't get the ruler to show anything different. Any way, all appears normal now. Thank you so much!