Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Using Mike Schley Maps

Hello all, I've bought a couple of the map packs from Mike and have loved the quality of the product, but like a lot of folks here, have struggled with getting them aligned correctly.  I've worked out a way that works pretty quickly for me and figured I'd share it to maybe help someone down the road keep from pulling their hair out the way I did trying to get this to work.   First off, to do this, you will need both the grid and no-grid version of whatever map you're planning to use. If you bought the packs from Mike, he sends them as a PDF file full of images. Grab a copy of GIMP if you don't have it, it's free.  Open GIMP, drag the PDF into the GIMP window, then select the page(s) you want to export from the list, make sure you set the "Import pages as" to "Images" (it defaults to layers), leave the other options at default, and hit the Import button. In a couple of minutes it will open a window for each of the pages you selected.  On each of those windows, right-click the image, select File->Export As, and save them as your favorite image file type. I use jpg and that seems to work fine with Roll20. Once you have the map images, create a new page and set the size a bit larger than you think the map is, in grid terms (squares or hexes, not pixels or inches). Then, import the grid form of the map into the map layer of the new page, make it a drawing, and zoom to 200% on it.  Right-click it and use the "align to grid" tool on it to resize it to match the size of the grid in Roll20. You might have to do this a couple of times to get it close. All we care about here is getting it CLOSE, we don't need it to be exact.  Once you have it close, resize the page so that it matches the current size of the image, in grid terms. Then, delete the image and import the one without a grid and resize it to fit the grid. There you go, you now have a map with a grid that fits and works, easy as can be, and no twiddling required.  Since I started doing it this way I haven't run across a map that I can't get close enough to work with just a couple of alignments. Hope it helps. Robert
Gold
Forum Champion
Good tip, I like your method of using the gridded map version to get a close fit, and then placing the Gridless version so that only the Roll20 Grid will be creating... grid lines, and it will look good and be quite close to intended measurements.