Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Solution to the Soundcloud Issue

Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Hi.  I hate posting this in this forum, but under the circumstances I think it might be the only way to get this out.  I do have a possible solution for Roll20 that would allow users to upload their own music while absolutely, 100% protecting Roll20 from any kind of DCMA blowback. Namely, you can allow Roll20 to work with a Cloud Storage service, like Google Drive, which already supports remote streaming. This way, people can upload their own music, but are merely streaming it from their own, personal, non-Roll20 accounts.  Google Drive basic is free so everyone can use it, and for even a couple dollars you could have a huge library there, so I think it covers most people's needs. In the current climate another streaming service will not solve the situation, nor will a handful of Roll20's own sounds.  DCMA stuff is getting too rampant, and if you've been following what's happening at YouTube, you'd definitely see that the climate is changing with these kinds of services, rapidly; they want to bring everything into the "mainstream," and not care about anything else. The shame of this all is I had planned to upgrade both my Roll20 and Soundcloud account this week, as I'm finally back to GM'ing something and would love the additional features for Roll20, and because I've been super happy with Soundcloud as a service, but this really dampens things badly; so much of the atmosphere came from suitable music.  I don't think some of these companies (Soundcloud, not Roll20, you guys are blameless in this) understand you have to give a little to get a lot. Sorry again if this is the wrong forum for this message.

Edited 1474925001
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Robert R. We're asking that all discussion regarding SoundCloud take place within our sticked thread in the General On-Topic forum: In Regards to SoundCloud Please feel free to repost your thoughts within the above thread. Thank you!