Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mara x Miro, 2nd of Calistril

Mara looks out at the haunted island she looked out upon so many times before. Where it once sat silent and foreboding, now it was a bustle of activity. There was construction taking place, for some new magic college. Mara looked down at her hands, feeling the flames dancing beneath her skin. Now determined, she begins walking out to the island, looking for someone in charge.  After some searching, and asking around, she eventually approached another halfling. He was darker skinned than her, and scarred, but she had been told he was the most skilled in magic of all the Sandpoint Heroes. Tapping on his shoulder, she says, "Excuse me? Are you Miro? I'm hoping you can help me understand some more about my magic."
     Miro sets down a ledger on a box and turns his eyes the younger halfling.  A smile breaks the serious demeanor of his face.  "While I can not say I know everything little one.... I can do my best to help you.  You must undastand I am quite busy at the moment.  So explain what help you are looking for?  He asks quietly. (He still does not know she is in the party)
Mara nods. "Of course. I don't know if this is something you can help me with immediately or at all, but I suppose I was hoping you could help me take control of the power within me. I'm sorry, I'm a bit nervous. Just, everytime I get upset or excited or... feel anything too much, my magic manifests. And since I only have fire magics, it's dangerous. I want to be safe to be around, for my sister and for everyone else, and... well, here I am. Can you help me?" She breathes in deeply then lets it out, trying to calm herself before Miro answers. The air around her is dry again, and she can feel the fire trying to escape. Focusing, she pulls it into her core, molding it into a ball of white heat. Looking back up to the other halfling, she smiles a bit uncomfortably.
     Miro looks at her comically.  "Come now little one... if you do not perform the sylables and gestures then surely nothing will come of it.  Ignitus magicarum simplistas is a simple spell... it may shine brightly but is relativly harmless."  He ruffles her hair just abit and makes an attempt to turn around to attempt the final needs of the college that he may set out with his friends again.
Mara stares stupidly as Miro begins to turn. "Igni-what? What are you saying?" She shakes her head. "No, that's not right. There are no words! It just, it just happens. Like, here, I'll show you!" She raises her arms in front of her, palms facing up. She closes her eyes concentrating as hard as she can. As white pentacles form in the air above Mara's palms, the air around her begins to heat up. Flames sprout up and then surge to be contained within the circles drawn over her hands. Soon enough, two blue flames hover in front of her the air crackling and shimmering from the heat. Sweating, she opens her eyes and looks a bit glassy eyed as if someone hit her over the head. As her eyes find Miro however, the clouds disappear from her eyes, gaze sharpening. "See? No words! I can just control them-" Her face spasms as she struggles with the fire, now beginning to fluctuate. "No, come on..." she mutters. The flames begin growing, their twin bodies seeming to lose coherence.  A panicked look plasters itself over Mara's face. "Ah shit shit shit shit shit, why now, I thought I had this." Clenching her teeth, she glares at Miro. "I'm sorry, just one second, and I. Will. Have. This. Under. Control!" She snarls out the last words, slamming the flames into each other. Their fiery bodies add to one another, but Mara seems to have a modicum more control. The flame stops spitting, and slowly condenses. After what seems like hours for Mara, but no doubt are only seconds to Miro, she finally reduces the flames to a tiny little bean. Then it winks out of existence. The white pentacles disappear but black burn marks etch the marks into the skin of her palms still.  "So," she pants out, "Think you can help me?"
Miro stands both impressed and astonished for but a moment before his visage takes on a calm and knowing smile.  "Control is a word used loosely young one.  While I can not promise you with definity the help you seek I have an idea or two to help that with training will work.  On the short term however I would recommend a move verbal display and explanation until such a time as you are in comfortable control of your abilities.  It is unfortunate howeva that I am not sure how long we will have together. I am one of the heroes of Sandpoint and i am not sure how much longer we will remain here.  I can howeva scribe you some notes to practice in my absence."  He says with a smile.
Mara stands up straight. "That shouldn't be an issue. I'm going with you. What should I work on first?" She looks down at her hands and frowns at the burns. "You think I should talk while working the magic? But I don't need to... won't it distract me more?"
Miro cocks his head at be response.  He grabs his chin in contemplation with a small frown on his face.  His worry lines growing deeper and deeper as the days go by.  "Are you not alitta young to be facing giants?  What will your family say?"
Mara's eyes hollow out. "That's the reason I'm going. I don't have parents to object. My sister hasn't spoken in the weeks since." She refocuses. "I can't let it happen to anyone else. If the giants are not stopped, it will. Again and again. I can't know I could have done something, and not."
    Miro raises his hand in a defensive palm up fashion. "Calm your self little one.  I did not know. I undastand your feelings.  Of course you can come wit us.  As for your power I have a few ideas.  One you say they flare with your emotions.  It is not much differant than a Madge must control his when working spells.  I will help you to masta your emotions.  Next when attempting to explain your abilities.  Tell them do not show them.... At least till you have mastaed them.  Finally we can practice fine tuning them on our travals togetha.  I will also ask Pilar to research cases silmila to your own in are absence.  Worry not young one... We will get you taken care of."
Mara nods her head once. "Thank you. Master? Should I call you that? If you're to be teaching me? Also, who's Pilar? I heard Mr. Vrinn mention her too, but I forgot to ask about her then." She goes to rub her hands together, but sees her palms and grimaces at them. "Right. Tell, don't show, next time. That makes sense."