Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Observer v0.1.2 -- Visibility manager for your Streaming Camera Player, or Control management for your in person games!

Edited 1476800169
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Observer v0.1.2 Update v0.1.2 -- Added some logic to force the vision to update when changing controlledby. &nbsp;Fixed a typo. I threw this together to allow GMs to designate a Player (probably an alternate account) to be an Observer. &nbsp;Observers are kept on the ControlledBy list for all characters that have something else on that list (PCs). &nbsp;In situations where those characters are on the VTT, Observers can see from all of them at once, giving your Stream or in person players a view of the whole party. Additionally, when the Turn Order is up, the view is restricted to only the current token. &nbsp;This can be configured several ways, including being turned off. Commands !observer -- Show help and configuration options !observer --add &lt;Player&gt; [&lt;Player&gt; ...] -- Adds the specified players as Observers. !observer --del &lt;Player&gt; [&lt;Player&gt; ...] -- Removes the specified players as Observers. Configuration Options Initiative Restriction &nbsp;causes the visibility of observers to be restricted to just the token whose turn it is, when the Turn Order is displayed. Initiative NPCs &nbsp;allows the observer to see from the perspective of NPCs when it is their turn and Initiative Restriction is on. With this setting off, vision will return to a "whole party" view during NPC turns. Initiative Tokens allows the observer to see from the perspective of Tokens with no Character when it is their turn and Initiative Restriction is on. With this setting off, vision will return to a "whole party" view during Characterless Token turns. For in person play, you like want the last 2 turned off. &nbsp;For streaming, you might want to have something interesting to show your viewers that the players don't get to see... This script supports GroupInitiative changes to the Initiative order and will detect when the !eot command is run in order to update the view on turn changes (TurnMarker and the like). General Notes When the turn order is on a Custom turn Marker, the view returns to a Whole Party view until it moves on.&nbsp; You will likely need to ping pull the view for your streamers, but players can move it themselves.&nbsp; In some cases, the view of the Observers doesn't update until something changes on the VTT. &nbsp;I was mostly able to mitigate this, but if it doesn't seem like it updates, just move something.&nbsp; Happy Rolling! Git:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ob" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ob</a>... Support my work on If you use my scripts, want to contribute, and have the spare bucks to do so , go right ahead. However, please don't feel like you must contribute just to use them! I'd much rather have happy Roll20 users armed with my scripts than people not using them out of some sense of shame. Use them and be happy, completely guilt-free! Disclaimer: This Patreon campaign is not affiliated with Roll20; as such, contributions are voluntary and Roll20 cannot provide support or refunds for contributions.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
This will be extremely useful. Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yup. I made it for Keith's podcasting game originally and it grew out of that. I was just reading HB's Face2Face Dynamic Lighting Helper script and realized I've basically written a different implementation of nearly the same idea, though coming at it from the other side. :/ &nbsp;Still, I think both have merit...and hopefully I'll not suffer the Badgerwrath!!! &nbsp;=D
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: &nbsp;I'll not suffer the Badgerwrath!!! &nbsp;=D lol
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Added to the wiki&nbsp; Using Roll20 while Playing In-Person
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
(Excellent... that badgering is the gift that keeps in giving!)
My god, you have outdone yourself Aaron. I wish I knew what gifts to bring when following those three stars to Bethlehem...&nbsp;
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So glad you've finally gotten that pesky house move out of the way... *cracks whip* Now get back to work writing scripts to make my &nbsp;life easier so that I don't have to learn to do anything for myself! I'm sure when I woke up this morning I heard the distant sound of unicorn hooves... just sayin'
This is genius The Aaron you are truly remarkable, thanks again!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Hahaha. Yeah, thanks. It's nice to ease back into it. I feel a little bad about writing something so close to one of HB's scripts (I blame the now close proximity! =D), but it was fun to write and should be useful. Not a bad way to get back to it. I am going to borrow his brilliant strategy getting the visibility updated, or something like it.&nbsp; Let me know if you have any problems or feature requests. Time to start rustling up a unicorn...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks again, Aaron. Great tool!