Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Volo's Guide to Monsters Question

I am thinking of getting this on Roll20 but I have noticed that it is only available for use in Roll20.  Forgive me if this is a dumb question but how would I access it if I just wanted to read it? I am new to Roll20. Thanks!
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
It says that it will unlock new items in the  Compendium so I'm assuming you should be able to just read them over there, as well as in game where they will appear as handouts. 
Thanks for your answer.  My primary worry is that I will end up having to buy a hard copy as well in order just to read it as opposed to using it for games in Roll20.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Franky H. said: It says that it will unlock new items in the  Compendium so I'm assuming you should be able to just read them over there, as well as in game where they will appear as handouts.  That's right. You'll be able to read the books contents via our Compendium. A purchase of Volo's unlocks these entries on your account.
Thanks!

Edited 1476982180
Will the compendium contain pictures of the content as well? Currently it just appears to be text.
Gid
Roll20 Team
The Volo entries will have images, yes, as well as dedicated token art for the monster entries. Since Volo's is licensed content, we're able to utilize the art that WotC provides for that book.

Edited 1476983015
Ravenknight
KS Backer
That's great! ...(could we get the full monster manual as well??)
So will it be more like reading a pdf file then?
So basically, it's NOT like the module in that it won't let you use the content in your campaign unless you start an entirely new campaign, right? If I have to start a new campaign just to access this content, that's a deal breaker.
Gid
Roll20 Team
If your campaign has the 5E Compendium attached to your campaign, then you'll automatically have access to Volo's content after purchase. With the exception of the seven lair maps, all of the book's content is in the Compendium. When you purchase this item, it unlocks readability of that part of 5th Edition Compendium. The beast lair pages we're setting up a different method to let you essentially transmogrify them into your campaign without being a Pro user.
Kristin C. said: The beast lair pages we're setting up a different method to let you essentially transmogrify them into your campaign without being a Pro user. Now THAT, I like ! if only we can do that to some of the other maps in the other modules (storm king's thunder et. al.). I made the mistake of buying a module w/o realizing I couldn't just incorporate that stuff into my existing campaign. Unfortunately, I won't buy further modules via roll20 until I can.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
As a pro subscriber, you can use the  Transmogrifier to copy any elements of a module based game to your own game.  If you have Storm King's Thunder, just create a game based on the module, then go to your regular game and use the Transmogrifier to copy elements you want into your own game.
Richard H. said: Thanks for your answer.  My primary worry is that I will end up having to buy a hard copy as well in order just to read it as opposed to using it for games in Roll20. I generally do end up having an electronic and printed version.. Just easier to read and reference at times.
Thanks for your reply Warren.  I have found the posts reassuring enough that I am going to go with the Roll20 version.

Edited 1477356812
I came here looking for answers to questions others have asked. Thanks for the Info The Aaron. One question not answered is will you guys make the other source books available for purchase as well for the Compendium. The full Players handbook, monster Manual, all the spells...I would gladly purchase those for my account to make things easier on myself and my players.
I have a question, about Volo's guide. If I buy it, can I drag and drop the token and it will have already all stats of the monster, like HP, CA, ability description and an NPC sheet that I can just hit the macro button and cast the ability like in the pre-made adventures? 
Kristin C. said: If your campaign has the 5E Compendium attached to your campaign, then you'll automatically have access to Volo's content after purchase. With the exception of the seven lair maps, all of the book's content is in the Compendium. When you purchase this item, it unlocks readability of that part of 5th Edition Compendium. The beast lair pages we're setting up a different method to let you essentially transmogrify them into your campaign without being a Pro user. Raphael M. - based on the above I think so, yes.
Raphael M. said: I have a question, about Volo's guide. If I buy it, can I drag and drop the token and it will have already all stats of the monster, like HP, CA, ability description and an NPC sheet that I can just hit the macro button and cast the ability like in the pre-made adventures?  In short, yes!
I'm wondering how this book will be as well. Would I be able to read the lore/story pages that are part of the physical book in some way, or is this product the statted tokens/compendium pictures. For instance, the information about the kraken society, or the culture of Mind Flayers. Would that be included, or not part of the roll20 product?
Gold
Forum Champion
Daniel S, yes, it is as Kristen C. of the Roll20 Dev Team described earlier in this thread. You'll be able to read the books contents via our Compendium. A purchase of Volo's unlocks these entries on your account. ... If your campaign has the 5E Compendium attached to your campaign, then you'll automatically have access to Volo's content after purchase. ... When you purchase this item, it unlocks readability of that part of 5th Edition Compendium.
Sorry but odd question. Preordered Volo's it the 4th now, went into game settings and attached 5th edition compendium to both of the games I am running. but no access to Volo's and it still showing that it unlocks on the 4th of november even though at time of posting this it 7:20am nov 4 2016
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I would assume the licence becomes active at a certain time from a certain timezone. The Dev team will be able to confirm once the west coast of the states wakes up to it's morning coffee but I would assume it to become available within the next 6 hours or so?

Edited 1478261745
Well, really it's been Nov. 4th for 8 hours here on the east coast. Glad I didn't stay up, expecting it to be released at 12pm pst. Would be great if they gave us a drop time. 
Yeah that's odd Fantasy Grounds got theirs unlocked at midnight.
Never a phrase you want to hear about the competition.  But I trust we will be up soon. Jeremy R. said: Yeah that's odd Fantasy Grounds got theirs unlocked at midnight.
If purchased you should see it in the compendium now. It's in the miscellaneous section. <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Index:Miscella" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Index:Miscella</a>...
Greetings all, our launch target was November 4th at 9 AM PST. Sorry if that wasn't made clear. We'll do a better job in the future about being specific about the approximate time we expect things to go live instead of just the day. That said... Volo's Guide to Monsters is available now! In order to streamline things for the Developers, we are moving all questions and bugs to this thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-gu" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-gu</a>... Have fun!