Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Building my own entire campaign from scratch

Hey, everyone, I am fairly new to Roll20 and I am currently playing pathfinder. I'm enjoying it immensely and as an amateur writer, I've had a bunch of idea for my own campaign/world. getting straight to the point the question I want to ask the more experienced players out there is how much information should I supply as a creator? 
Gold
Forum Champion
It varies, some games have a voluminous quantity of information. See for example the 5E Module Storm King's Thunder, many 1000's of words in hundreds of characters, handouts, and maps: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/25/mo" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/25/mo</a>... It's always your call as a Game Master, supply the amount of information that entice the Players and make it interesting while giving open-ended options for players to play, investigate, and decide for themselves!
Well the more non critical information you share with your players the more immersed in the world they are likely to feel. Depending on the theme, setting and scope of the campaign you may wish to include things like, major locations, a world history, factions and faction info, artifacts and legends that are widely known, race info [things like culture, major cities, dealings with other races ect] and widely known creatures and people. Of course if you are good at improvising then you can just hand out info as your players ask/need it. Hope that helps a little bit, if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to attempt to lend a hand, just PM me. As always happy gaming.
thanks for the replies guys, your answers are very helpful.&nbsp; so far I've&nbsp;been setting up the country, I guess you'd call it, and separating it into all the different regions naming them, providing info on the climate the terrain what resources can be found there and what towns, cities, and villages can be found in each region. then providing a couple paragraphs of backstory on each town/city with info on population, the races that live their places and people of interest in each place.&nbsp; As for the main story for the players, I haven't really decided on that at all yet apart from the starting point. my main focus has been on the backstory of the country as a whole, The humans are currently waging war against any non-humans (their&nbsp;main focus being orc's). by order of the Jarl, the armies are marching through each region destroying and killing all non-humans they come across. the idea is to induce fear in the players to teach them combat isn't always the answer and to encourage problem-solving. the group I'm currently running the game for are completely new to the game and focus more on gaining XP and loot then the actual story going on around them.&nbsp;
You can always do a sandbox campaign, they require more set up but can be very fun, you basically just set the world in order then drop in players and see what happens. It requires you to fill in more of the world but you don't have to write any large scale stories for the game [that does not mean you can add big events though] and because the game is player driven [and the story is emergent] players will lean on the different hooks you provide. But of course this may not be best for your group but it may be worth a shot, another idea, if you are trying to have your players lean toward non combat solutions, is to provide a few quests that either can't be completed with violence or violence would instead make things much worse. Well a least those are a few of the tactics I use in my games.
Rog
Marketplace Creator
Ahhh I remember my very first campaign. It seems like just yesterday! All I did was make up the first village and a few npcs and town buildings and improvised from there. It was extremely fun and relaxing to let yourself go and not have to research huge amounts of information, or generate it yourself. One thing that will actually help a great deal is if you let the players know that you HAVEN'T figured out the greater sum of the world and they'll usually (usually) be nice and just go with the flow!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Do you have questions relating to the logistics of building your campaign within the Roll20 framework, or should I go ahead and move this to the Off-Topic locker? :)
Depends on your characters. Some few will LOVE the added detail. Others will never look at it. I've included the history of my world in great detail. Only excluding bits where its not common knowledge. I then tell the players "This is a wealth of knowledge that you could get with a cursory search or a library, a visit to the local sage, etc. Its up to you to decide what your character knows. Anything beyond this handout is going to require a knowledge history check"
GenKitty said: From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Do you have questions relating to the logistics of building your campaign within the Roll20 framework, or should I go ahead and move this to the Off-Topic locker? :) I don't see how this is off-topic. I could see why it might not belong in the Specific Use section. Off Topic would be akin to...."So captain hook is great! I'm giving away captain hook T Shirts!" Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm sure you will but I thought I understood the distinction but you saying this makes me question that fact.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
If the discussion could just as easily be about a different VTT or playing at the kitchen table, then it is off-topic for our forums.&nbsp; I haven't seen anything specific to Roll20 in this thread, thus far.
sorry i didn't realise i had posted this on the wrong forum feel free to move to the correct one :) thank you everyone that has replied its really helped i will definately&nbsp;take all your advice on board for my campaign :)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/gamemasters