Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Tokens- what are you looking for?

Edited 1477521084
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
Hello everyone, I'm a new artist on the site, looking to create hero and monster top down tokens. I'm currently working on a pretty big pack of 100+ player characters for dnd/pathfinder and general fantasy for the roll20 site. As I started writing out and defining characters I wanted to create, I looked at classes, races, and genders. I'm hoping to have a strong mix of human, elf, dwarf, dragonborn, orc/half orc, tiefling, halfling/gnome, drow, eladrin and aasimar, with equal focus on genders.  My main question to you all is are there any characters that may be under-represented that you'd like to see more of? Narrowing down classes and weapons while providing a strong balance of characters is definitely tricky. I could see half giant or saytr characters, etc. but I don't know what everyone likes to play. After this pack I plan on doing a couple of big monster packs, and will be looking for feedback on that too! Thanks, Zeshio
I think Tieflings  and Goliaths seem thin on the gound.
Yep, as Andrew A, just said - Tieflings, Goliaths, and my favorite - Dragonborn.  I am also not aware of any top down tokens for the elemental races.  Also though, we have a shortage of some basics such as a swarm of snakes.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Warforged?

Edited 1477581073
Aarakocra, I want to make a birdperson, oh and also I have had hankering to make a Modron PC.
Goat Games
Marketplace Creator
Funny enough, Fat characters in general, we only see very fit character tokens. I would love fat or very thin characters! I very like weird and unheroic characters that climb to fame. Not all mens are tough as ogres and womens good looking!
Tengu (birdmen) tokens. There's like... None. Also very few Kitsune (if any), and like zero grippli (frog people).
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
MAHJIK user said: Funny enough, Fat characters in general, we only see very fit character tokens. I would love fat or very thin characters! I very like weird and unheroic characters that climb to fame. Not all mens are tough as ogres and womens good looking!   This actually popped into my head, I am planning on fat men and women.  I think it adds kind of this cool larger than life idea to the character. I will look into the others, obviously I forgot Warforged. I might split this into 2 packs just with the amount of designs I'll be making, but I am very excited. I will play around with the others suggested as well, frog men, elemental races, etc.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Unusual race/class combos. Tiefling cleric. Elven barbarian. Etc
I would love to see more humans.  Especially ones that are culturally unique. Make some that look like Celts, Romans, Numidians, Normans etc.   These can be used in fantasy and historical games. Or just as different flavors of town guard if they players get too murder hobo-ish.

Edited 1478274589
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Centaurs . There are so few and almost all of them look so limited. Most ony have a spear or sword or combination, hardly any show armor and/or equipment, bows (large ones), etc.  plus they do not fit a Hex grid map properly. Dragon-Blooded  (from GURPS) (a.k.a. Dragonborn from D&D) Throons (from Arduin Grimoire)   Mermen (from GURPS Merfolk - male version of Mermaids) Also: multiple postures and weapons (or equipment) of the same token. Example: Basic Human fighter wielding multiple different weapons and in postures of Standing (given), Standing without weapon sin hand, crouching, sitting, kneeling. prone (face up), prone (face down), crawling, and riding (an animal such as a horse). In GURPS, postures figure into the game..  Basic tokens with Two-Handed weapons, Rapiers (single and dual wielding) - no 'class' determined like for RPGs that do not use the class system. Fantasy characters with guns (Muskets, Pistols) Just to name a few. I also agree with Joseph Z above about Town Guards and such.
Franky H. said: Unusual race/class combos. Tiefling cleric. Elven barbarian. Etc Seconding the unusual race/class combos.  Dwarf tokens IME are almost exclusively heavily armoured warriors of some kind.  I play a non-d&d system called Shadow of the Demon Lord where goblin wizards and orc rogues are not only viable but fairly optimized. Halflings, gnomes and genasi/elemental characters are lacking in general.  I am currently playing a halfling warlock in a 5e campaign.  Half of my halfling tokens are bards and rogues, and I have 1 each of monk and psion (?!).
I'd really like a set of dieselpunk characters and dieselpunk robots (or non-Victorian steampunk). How much would it cost to commission some of these? 
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
Thanks everyone. I do have 5 dragonborn made already, I'm trying for a mix of fighter/archer/mage/rogue with most classes. It is tough sometimes to move away from those stereotypical icons, like the axe dwarf warrior!  @mike w., I haven't thought about hex icons yet, I follow the d20 size guidelines but if you posted hex sizes and angles I could probably try to play with those down the road. The style of grid makes icon creation considerations different. Centaurs sound cool, perhaps I could fill out my first or second set with some minotaurs. @wilson, It depends! I would want to get an idea of how many icons you're looking to make, and would need to see some pic inspiration and the specific icons you're looking for. I will PM you. I have 27 icons made so far, and shooting for 50 for my first pack.  Thanks!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Zeshio I wasn't looking for Hex Icons, (that is something I hope Roll20 will add to the status icons and thus will not need multiple posture tokens) - but for now I was I was looking for different posture poses of the same token. All, except for crawling and prone, would be a single Hex in size. The Centaur would be 3 hexes long. Thanks for respondoing.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
If you ever decide to go beyond fantasy characters I would love to have some; WWII American (Army - Infantry, Paratroopers, etc), German (Heer, Fallschirmjager, Luftwaffe, etc), British (Infantry and Commandos), and Russian soldiers as well as peasants and partisans (French and Russian). There seems to be only one publisher of these types and that run is very very limited. Modern American, German, British, and Russian Army and Special Forces soldiers Vietnam era: American(Army and Marines, special forces), Viet Cong, NVA, and Russian solders. Again there are some out there but so very limited. I would also love Star Trek (Not just Federation but Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc). I know I know, stop stop stop - lol Mike
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
Mike, great idea. I'm actually into modern military and gun stuff, so that sounds like a fun project. I'm not quite sure about the Star Trek as far as the copyright, but I could make similar icons. I honestly wish i could just make icons for my real job!

Edited 1479356616
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Wow that would be great. I am currently running or planning to run the following games using GURPS; WWII game of German Fallschirmager (paratroopers) on the Russian front. US Army and Special Forces in Vietnam. Combined Allied special forces (US, British, German, and yes even Russians) in Iraq and other hot spots in the world. Fantasy game that uses the Throon I mentioned previously. A GURPS After the End (Fallout).game. and last but not least, Klingons in a Star Trek game It would be nice to take advantage of a Rollable Table of the same token in different postures. I too wish I coudl do this as a real job. I look forward to whatever you come up with. BTW in your example, the only thing I do not like is the apparent base or shadow that is at the bottom of the token, other then that well done. Mike