Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New video chat is using too much bandwidth

Hello, In my game, i'm the Game Master and there are 6 players. At my home, i don't have a huge xDSL bandwith (3054 kbit/s down, 406 kbit/s up) and so far we have been able to play with the old OpenTok video chat. Sometimes, i had to close my own camera share but still the audio was good.  yesterday we have tried the new video chat and well it was a disaster : video was ko and audio was very bad. I tried to lower the video bandwidth (up to the lowest quality) but it never changed the issue. At same time I had a realtime bandwidth statistic graph and what I saw on it is that it's the "up" that is the overloaded when the video/audio is working bad. And while with openTok, it's most of the time below the bandwidth limit, with the new video chat it's always upper and it does not change when i reduce the video bandwidth. My questions are : - are there any way to optimize the video bandwith use by roll20 with the new video chat ? (if not, then i cannot use it) - is the old video chat going to be supported in roll20 for a long time ? (i hope so unless the new video chat is optimized) Thanks

Edited 1478319440
Gid
Roll20 Team
We won't phase out OpenTok until we feel Roll20 WebRTC has proven to have the same functionality as its predecessor. I'll bring this up with our Developer next week who's been beating our toolset into shape to see if he has any recommendations/suggestions. Meanwhile, if OpenTok is the principle working VOIP option for you and your group, by all means stick with that until we can get back to you on this. Thank you for giving our new tool a try and filing this report!
Thank you Kristin for your answer and for your support :-) If it is useful for your Developer, I can do some benchmark of our use of roll20 during our next session (next thursday) and give you screenshots of bandwidth statistics when using OpenTok / Roll20 WebRTC so that your Developer may see the difference of bandwidth for us.  Note : myself and the 6 players are all located in the same region (west of Paris, France) Have a nice day
Gid
Roll20 Team
That's really helpful to know, Ghorin. Thank you. We've noted issues with the tech and parts of Europe, but usually it's been with groups where the party is spread out globally (ex. one player is in Europe, while the rest of the party is in North America, etc). Having a group isolated to only one European country might be a could case example to possibly figure out what's going on.
Hello, We had this evening (french time) our next session of The One Ring with Roll20 and before starting playing, we have done some bandwidth analysis of openTok / Roll20Beta WebRTCs and with differents parameters (video on/off, number of players, quality of video bandwitdh). You can see below a graphical display of my bandwidth use and our analysis (in 7 seven differents steps). Our configuration : - 1 Game Master (myself) with xDSL connection (max download 3054 kbit/s, max upload 406 kbit/s) - 3 players at the start, then 5, then 6 - We are all living in the same area (west of Paris in France), not all with the same internet provider - 6 Windows / 1 Linux, 5 Chrome / 2 Firefox Our testing session :  Our analysis on number of players : - With Roll20Beta, having 3, 5 or 6 players (and thus more audio/video sources) has no impact on the bandwidth, it keeps the same high level and it's highest than my max capacity and thus gives bad quality of audio/video. Moreover having the upload overloaded has an impact on the download also. See steps 2,3, 4 (for high upload = low download) and step 5 (for the contrary) - With openTok, even with 6 players it's working fine and we are below my max capacity (not far but below). See steps 6, 7 Our analysis on the parameter "video bandwidth" (for Roll20beta only) : - having the highest level or the lowest level of that parameter has stricly no impact :no change at all on the final quality, it's always bad. See steps 1, 2 Our analysis on "no video" parameter : - on Roll20Beta, we see that the upload is getting low but the audio quality was still bad, strange ! See step 5 You can also below the network analysis of one of the player. That was after the session, we were him and I connected for more testing. I hope it may help you in getting Roll20Beta webTRC more optimized as we have seen again this evening that it's consuming more bandwitdh than openTok and that it is a problem for players with "not-so-large" xDSL connection. If needed, we may do some other test, don't hesitate to ask us what test would be useful for you. Bye Ghorin
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you for that anaylsis. I passes this forward to our dev who's been hammering away at Roll20 WebRTC.

Edited 1480636031
Hello, I saw tonight that the openTok has disapeared. So no choice anymore. And the result is clearly bad :  - with openTok (previous sessions) : i was able to use audio + video with 6 players. Some days i did shut down the video in order to put priority on audio quality but then the audio was fine. -  with roll20 Web RTC (tonight) : i didn't even tried to use video as the audio alone was using all my upload bandwidth and quality was bad Is there any way to have better bandwidth optimization ? It's not normal that audio is so bad while having no video. Do I have to switch to hangout ? That would be sad. I hope you'll find some way, Roll20 is a really good tool :-) i wish you all a nice night
Gid
Roll20 Team
We're currently still doing a lot of tinkering to improve its optimization. Especially now that it is our only WebRTC option. I would recommend following the input on the official bug report thread for Roll20's WebRTC:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4306335/roll20-video-chat-official-bug-thread" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4306335/roll20-video-chat-official-bug-thread</a>
Thank you, i'll stick now to the thread you give&nbsp;