Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th ed ....tryin to get in a game

Any suggestion for me?  I have been filling out application left and right trying to get into a game. I keep getting the questions for selecting down to the finals picks but can't catch a game. I really want to play and can't find a local one so this is my only option. Any help would be great. Thanks
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It takes time and patience. Just remember that roll20 has over a million members and is international. It takes time to find a group. Keep using the LFG forum and the LFG game listings to find games you find interesting and post to them.
If I were to have any suggestion, its this:  Start networking.  Instead of looking out for full time campaigns that can span months if not years, try and focus instead on meeting other players.  Reputation can go a long way in this community, and if you develop the inter-personal skills to become a little effective at it, you will find that other people will start inviting you into games you didn't even know were going.  Typically when you first start out, it can be a bit difficult as many struggle just to get a game off the ground, with players either falling out of interest or just having general real-life interrupt their ability to show up to a session. Campaigns are typically looking for people who are referenced by other players who can make the time commitment.  Many GMs tend to go through large lists of players and the time and effort they put into making sure the group works out is hard enough, so a recommendation from a current player tends to go a long way. Most of all, dont give up.  You'll find once you do get in a game, if ya made a good impression, you could expect to keep in contact with those players, and maybe in time get a few invites looking for you before going onto LFG.  ;)
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
To add to Derek's post, a good idea that I've seen mentioned before is apply for one-shots or short modules first. Many GMs have mentioned in similar threads that they use these as proving grounds for their longer campaigns.
I would recommend to get this to reddit for more open discussion. I can only give you advice on how to improve, try giving us some examples of your applications in already open games or a summary of them. Only then we can have a clear picture of what is going on and give you more concrete advice than just "be patient".
Michael L. said: Any suggestion for me?  I have been filling out application left and right trying to get into a game. I keep getting the questions for selecting down to the finals picks but can't catch a game. I really want to play and can't find a local one so this is my only option. Any help would be great. Thanks I'm in the same boat with you on this one. I have sent out multiple applications with detailed character race, background, why i would like to join the game and even as far as weapons and specifics of the character. However, not one group, who are saying they are looking for characters, has responded with as much as a Thanks, But no thanks.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
JB B. said: Michael L. said: Any suggestion for me?  I have been filling out application left and right trying to get into a game. I keep getting the questions for selecting down to the finals picks but can't catch a game. I really want to play and can't find a local one so this is my only option. Any help would be great. Thanks I'm in the same boat with you on this one. I have sent out multiple applications with detailed character race, background, why i would like to join the game and even as far as weapons and specifics of the character. However, not one group, who are saying they are looking for characters, has responded with as much as a Thanks, But no thanks. I know as a GM, I don't look for characters when recruiting as they will be built in the game so it reflects the world specifics, the group needs, and any houserules I use. I rather hear more about the player than the character. As a GM I want to know more about the gaming experience, not required in my games but it gives me a point of perspective on what the player does or does not know. This your chance to shine and sell yourself, not sell your character because characters come and go.
As someone already mentioned you should do some networking. You could try DM'ing a few one shots, it's a great way to meet other players and maybe you'll find someone else that is willing to DM for you. Good luck.
Duncan S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I agree with James - Start by offering to DM a one-shot. Perhaps when you build a group for the one-shot you are DM'ing, have players agree to DM their own one-shot in return!