Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Pathfinder 3.5 Goblin Bard

Hey all i have a goblin bard currently running through rise of the runelords ... kinda like.... well a goblin. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for making him better I just reached level 5 but here is the build currently, it's myth weaver . Our group currently consists of a human barbarian whose both tank and straight up damage, a human cleric who focuses on healing and a elf druid whose kinda playing a summoner type character basically putting a bunch of targets between us and the enemy. I was going to take two-wand technique but I am unsure my dm will allow 3rd party feats. I'm leaning toward kinda specializing in wands but i don't think it will be effective in the long run since wands can only run to cl4. I think my character is becoming the ranged dmg skill hero as i lack the strength or size for straight up melee. thoughts?
well instead of two wand technique i could take skill focus (umd) that would put me at +19 for umd checks means that all i have to do to succeed at activating a wand is roll a 2 or higher my other options could be taking precise shot to help out my ranged attacks and i haven't really looked into bardic performance feats as of yet.
Lorically... Goblins really aren't the type of creature most people want to interact with pleasantly. I mean, it's your world and your say, but goblins are maniacal murdering machines and most civilizations struggle to keep them away.
Waffles said: Lorically... Goblins really aren't the type of creature most people want to interact with pleasantly. I mean, it's your world and your say, but goblins are maniacal murdering machines and most civilizations struggle to keep them away. yup Ziggy has already been dealing with that issue but this is a campaign already in progress can't change my race type now still looking for bard build suggestions based on his current skills and feats save the 5th level feat which i can still change
I'm saying, a bard may not be the best option. A rogue would be pretty excellent, though, especially for the intimidation factor. Your call. I can't provide much bard build advice to a goblin outside of stick to the controller spells, invest in stealth, and try to stay out of sight as much as possible unless fascinating people by doing things people don't usually expect goblins to do. Like juggling. Also, disguise skill is your friend.
As a bard you generally aren't going to be a damage powerhouse. Your spells, even personally cast ones, are never going to have the DC or level of a dedicated caster, you don't have the BAB and melee skills of a dedicated melee character, and you aren't OP like a dedicated hybrid character (*cough* Magus *cough*). That being said, as another already commented, your AOE buff spells are really useful with your party makeup. I would focus on defense since you already have a high Dex and small size and then focus on having as many buff and debuff abilities available as possible. Wands with a DC aren't worth the investment in my opinion, unless you're carrying around a wand of fireballs just to deal with a bunch of weak enemies (like a bunch of goblins! He he). I've never seen a bard with a staff (or seen a bard staff) but I'm sure there's some supplement with one out there so I suppose that's an option...but still, bard spells are not really designed to do a bunch of direct damage. In combat, your role is to quickly determine the threat level of the encounter and buff accordingly. Easy fight? Bard song will do it. Tougher fight? Throw in some haste, maybe heroism on your barbarian, possibly freedom of movement (scroll?) if the fight looks like you'll need it. Then find the biggest threat and "crowd control" them (to use MMO terminology). Maybe fascinate, maybe hold person/monster, maybe hideous laughter, maybe (at higher levels) irresistible dance (arguably the strongest bard spell, although weaker than it's 3.5 brother). Although it may be tempting to shoot straight for the caster enemy it's usually best to CC the brute/tank enemy since casters tend to have high will saves and melee enemies typically do not. Only after all this is done should you consider casting an offensive spell, using a wand outside of those two purposes, or firing a weapon. It may not be that flashy but it's really effective. Keep in mind there are ways to make a bard combat oriented, this is simply the most common type of bard (and the way you seem to be building yours). You should also be an out-of-combat powerhouse, utilizing knowledge and communication skills. You have craft wondrous item and I'd recommend building or buying a hat of disguise as soon as possible. It won't interfere with your headband of charisma (different slots) and will help negate a lot of your goblin penalties in social situations if you look like, say, a halfling or elf instead. And finally, I'll say what we've all been thinking...kobold bards are better than goblin bards. The Deekin legend lives on! =)