Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Video Chat Official Bug Thread

Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The Roll20 Video Chat system has officially launched and is now default on all games! If you have any bugs to report related to the new Video Chat system, please use this thread!

Edited 1480451079
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Cant see anyone else beside my self and hear noone. :( Edit: Works now.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There was a minor hiccup keeping people from connecting, it should be fixed now.
Now I know this is not a bug but I really miss the little green pulse when people would talk when using just voice chat.  Does anyone know a way around this?
so does the whisper function not work when using "voice only"?
My players cannot mute me (the DM) - Is this intentional? Becasue I am in the same room as one of my players (my wife) and not being able to mute each other is a problem. 

Edited 1480469850
J.D.
Plus
Whatever updates have been done to the video chat is not working fluidly as it used to.  Audio is lagging really bad now and wasn't like this before.

Edited 1480469042
Apart from not being able to mute the GM (my husband), which means that he's VERY loud in my ear and I hear myself as an echo (we used to be able to mutually mute each other to avoid self-echo and loud partner), the audio in general is very patchy. We play our games on Tuesday nights so we've basically had to call our game tonight because we simply can't communicate effectively. 
The OP in this thread says that the new AV system is the default, which indicates that there are other choices. But our GM says there are no other choices in the setup anymore so the AV system that we were using is no longer an option. Can't we at least choose to leave the new default and use the old system that actually let us play our games? We did try using Google Chat to run the game, but that was even worse than the new AV system. 
I agree with Heather A, we tried the new system a few weeks ago when it launched and it didn't work for ANY of our players so we simply reverted to the old OPenTok system which worked 100% fine for us (if it ain't broke....) Now I'm worried that the game we have this Saturday won't work because I can't use the old system anymore. So+1 to the Devs  to re-enable the choice of A/V systems.
So the old system is gone completely? My players and I preferred the old system because of the ability to see how loud the background noise is and to see if someone has the mic turned on or off. If its at all possible, could we get the old system back for those who prefer it?
Yet another 'Pro' account here asking for the option of the old chat interface.
Voice chat is the only reason we use Roll20, I have a player overseas that has to use a VPN, the old system worked great, most of the time. I appreciate the new features and they sound great but don't do us any good if we can't do the basics. 
Got together for a game tonight and couldn't get voice working on Firefox or Chrome, with a USB mic or a headset.  Verified the devices via Skype, but that wasn't an option for playing.  We really need workable voice.  Please fix, and restore the OpenTok in the meantime.

Edited 1480499258
Roll20 WebRTC is pretty broken for me.&nbsp; When using Chrome I observe the following: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4244318/camera-f" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4244318/camera-f</a>...
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Having never previously gotten the new chat working I was relieved last night when it seemed to be working fine, in fact the players were remarking that it was clearer than ever... I personally could hear them at first but they couldn't hear me, I fixed this by restarting my computer which worked... hooray. We did end up having a delayed start since when I changed ANY settings (I'm the DM) it refreshed everyones session which had the knock-on effect of failing to connect to some people upon the reload. In the end we resorted to discord :( Next week should go a lot smoother as I'll have all of the settings in place before hand and everyone should log into, and connect, as they come in as opposed to having to reconnect to a full room? Does the session really need to refresh when the DM changes their personal settings (receive and send preferences for example)? I can understand it for video quality and actual chat system but when it is a thing that only affects the client side input/output it seems odd to refresh EVERYONES session for that?
When set to "receive nothing" I am hearing people talking. Also, when I whisper someone with voice I cannot un-whisper them and get stuck in a perma-whisper until I reload the browser window. Maybe fix the bugs before releasing as the only option available. We will be switching to Skype or Discord for audio until things are fixed.
Hey everyone, Just wanted to pop in and say that our current goal is to get the new video chat feature working as well for everyone as OpenTok was. Unfortunately we are at a point where it was simply not possible for us to keep offering both. We want to have a lot more control over the video chat experience, as well as be able to offer new features like moving the videos around, popping out the video chat into a new window, video chat whispering, etc. In addition to maintaining two codebases, we can't offer both because our deal with OpenTok was structured such that we simply can't afford to offer it as merely a backup option. Underneath the hood both OpenTok and the new system use WebRTC with a relay provided to connect people who can't make a peer-to-peer connection. So in terms of feature requests (like seeing who's talking and how loud they're being so you can identify the person with the loud background noise) we will be able to add those no problem. Keep giving us feedback on this and we'll start sorting through the issues with some answers here soon.
Thank you Riley, it is nice to hear the whys. &nbsp;Giving us back the features like the green pulse when a person is talking, easy mute function (used to be able to just hit space bar to mute when icon was targeted), and muting anyone that you need to even the GM would be great steps in the right direction for us. New functionality always takes getting used to and as long as we all commit open communication we can move into this new function. thank you for listening to us.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
John said: Now I know this is not a bug but I really miss the little green pulse when people would talk when using just voice chat. &nbsp;Does anyone know a way around this? This is definitely something I can add to the new system, as soon as I fix some of these bugs. C David D. said: My players cannot mute me (the DM) - Is this intentional?&nbsp; When you say they can't mute the DM what do you mean? Does the volume control just not show up, or does it not work? This is definitely a bug, and not one I've encountered before so I need specifics.&nbsp; Carey said: Roll20 WebRTC is pretty broken for me.&nbsp; When using Chrome I observe the following: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4244318/camera-f" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4244318/camera-f</a>... The whole "black bar" thing is something I've been looking into for weeks now. Luckily, while it's ugly on your screen, it's totally fine on everyone else's. The bar only shows up on your local video window and not the video stream that everyone else sees. This is going to be difficult for me to fix, not that I won't try, because it doesn't happen on any of my computers and it only happened once on one of the devs computers then magically disappeared. The diagnostics you gave in the other thread will hopefully help. That's very thorough, thank you.&nbsp; Ziechael said: ...when I changed ANY settings (I'm the DM) it refreshed everyones session which had the knock-on effect of failing to connect to some people upon the reload. The "whole group reset" should only happen when you change the Video Tech option, and not when you change your broadcast/receiving settings. If this was happening it's a bug that I will look into. Andrew S. said: When set to "receive nothing" I am hearing people talking. Also, when I whisper someone with voice I cannot un-whisper them and get stuck in a perma-whisper until I reload the browser window.&nbsp; I just looked into the receive nothing issue and it seems to be an issue with the underlying library we are using to connect with WebRTC. I'll have to figure out a work-around to make sure that receive nothing actually receives nothing. I will look into the whispering stuff, but some extra info will help. When you are stuck in whisper, does the whisper button just not work at all or does it look like it works but you just can't hear everyone else any more. TL;DR These are the bugs I'm working on. If I missed something, let me know. Not being able to mute the DM Black bar in your local video window. Whole group reloading when DM changes any settings. "Receive Nothing" still receiving audio. Getting stuck in whisper mode
Thank you Phil and Riley for looking into these issues. &nbsp;To piggyback some additional info to C David D's prior comment about muting him when playing. &nbsp;He and his wife are in the same room when we do our online game, as a result, she gets the feedback echo on her end unless she mutes her husband's mic. &nbsp;With the old system she was able to do this, but last night it was no longer an option. &nbsp;This was just one of the myriad of issues we were experiencing which we ultimately had to cancel our session simply because we couldn't overcome the technical bugs of using the new A/V system. &nbsp;We also experienced seeing "connection failed" error messages above our player avatar windows from time to time which was new and very frustrating to deal with. &nbsp; &nbsp;
J.D. W. said: Thank you Phil and Riley for looking into these issues. &nbsp;To piggyback some additional info to C David D's prior comment about muting him when playing. &nbsp;He and his wife are in the same room when we do our online game, as a result, she gets the feedback echo on her end unless she mutes her husband's mic. &nbsp;With the old system she was able to do this, but last night it was no longer an option. &nbsp;This was just one of the myriad of issues we were experiencing which we ultimately had to cancel our session simply because we couldn't overcome the technical bugs of using the new A/V system. &nbsp;We also experienced seeing "connection failed" error messages above our player avatar windows from time to time which was new and very frustrating to deal with. &nbsp; &nbsp; To elaborate on the muting: She could not even control my volume, the bar would appear when she held the pointer over it, but she could not slide it at all. On my end, I could mute her, but I noted that the "whisper" function unmuted everyone when turned off for one player even if they'd been deliberately muted (which made that feature unusable for me).
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
TL;DR These are the bugs I'm working on. If I missed something, let me know. Not being able to mute the DM Black bar in your local video window. Whole group reloading when DM changes any settings. "Receive Nothing" still receiving audio. Getting stuck in whisper mode "Receive only video" also receives audio, probably the same issue as item 4.
When I select from broadcast&nbsp;to others or I want to receive from other tabs I have no audio or video at all.
Jens A.
Pro
API Scripter
We tried the new system just now and intermittently different players could not see each other, so that suddenly player A couldnät see or talk to player B and vice versa, but both could talk to and see player C. It was cleared with a reload by player A and/or B but occurred a few times during a one hour session.
Thanks Riley and Phil. We hope to have a nicely functioning system again for our next game. :) To further elaborate on the muting issue I was experiencing with my husband Dave&nbsp;(the DM), I was able to mute and unmute other players with no trouble (so it wasn't user error ;) ). But when I tried to do the same for Dave it did nothing at all. We also experienced something akin to Jens' problem above. Rather than disappearing entirely, we had intermittent problems where Player A and B would freeze and go inaudible to each other for a while, and then come back. I also had "connection failed" or "disconnected" tags appear on various players' icons at various times, although sometimes I could still see and hear them with those tags showing and other times I could not. I use Chrome on a Windows 7 platform.

Edited 1480549520
Phil B. said: TL;DR These are the bugs I'm working on. If I missed something, let me know. Not being able to mute the DM Black bar in your local video window. Whole group reloading when DM changes any settings. "Receive Nothing" still receiving audio. Getting stuck in whisper mode Fixing those would be nice, but the big one for me is no sound at all under Roll20 Video Chat system (I don't have a camera on this machine). I tried current Firefox and Chrome, ensured drivers were updated, tried different microphones (USB and wireless headset), changed video bandwidth to various values, reloaded the page repeatedly, rebooted the machine, tried your troubleshooting steps, etc. - everything I could think of for almost three hours. I see no whisper option when choosing a player's avatar, or any clickable options (mute, volume, etc).&nbsp; Clicking my own seems to toggle mute for me (can't verify as no one can now hear anyone, muted or not). Your first post said that the new system is now the default, but you simultaneously removed OpenTok completely.&nbsp; Please allow OpenTok as an option just until you fix the major problems (i.e., no sound at all) with your new system.&nbsp; The Roll20 site is unusable for us in the meantime.
If it is at all possible, could you structure it to where the players picture is full when they have their mic off, and black tinted when they have their mic on 'Voice only' for easily identifying of who presently has their mic on. Part of the old system I preferred.&nbsp;
Initiative rolls for 5th edition D&D don't account for dex bonus. The hover over of the initiative roll reads "1d20 + selected|Initiative_formula + 0"
We don't use video but whenever I whisper someone, all the players icons/portrait &nbsp;go black. Have to reload to get them back.
I'm having video / audio lock up with the Roll20 Video chat for players/GMs using Firefox. Details here: &nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4284387/camera-feed-locking-up-in-ff-using-roll20-beta-webrtc/?pageforid=4284387#post-4284387" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4284387/camera-feed-locking-up-in-ff-using-roll20-beta-webrtc/?pageforid=4284387#post-4284387</a>
C David D. said: My players cannot mute me (the DM) - Is this intentional? Becasue I am in the same room as one of my players (my wife) and not being able to mute each other is a problem.&nbsp; I also had this problem, I couldn't mute the GM in a game (I'm the GM but I have a separate player account logged in for broadcast purposes) so I was getting mad internal echo. Also, I was noting when I muted players (one account has everyone muted so there's not a feedback loop), whenever they would mute themselves for whatever reason and when they unmuted themselves to join back in, it overrode the mute/volume settings I had set for them, meaning the echo would come back.
One or Two of my players can only hear/see me and themselves. &nbsp;The rest can't see/hear those players. &nbsp;This only happens with the new system and it's been happening since beta. &nbsp;The whisper is not on. &nbsp;Please help me. &nbsp;We have a game in 5 hours!
Ari K. said: One or Two of my players can only hear/see me and themselves. &nbsp;The rest can't see/hear those players. &nbsp;This only happens with the new system and it's been happening since beta. &nbsp;The whisper is not on. &nbsp;Please help me. &nbsp;We have a game in 5 hours! I'm having this exact same issue. &nbsp;However, they can't hear one another and each other's video streams freeze. &nbsp;Only way to fix is refreshing the window I've found. &nbsp;Happens randomly and only in Firefox for us at least.
Had major issues with the session this evening. Normally, I run one Chrome window as GM (titles only with no video or audio sent or received), while simultaneously recording another window fullscreen on a second monitor (with full audio & video chat). This worked flawlessly with OpenTok; however, tonight, whenever I'd switch the settings on one of the windows, the settings on the other window would be affected, and players would lose my video. I eventually had to use a separate "observer" account and use different browsers for the two configurations to get my video and audio to show up. One of my players was also having all sorts of buffering issues connecting, and had to revert to audio-only to avoid lots of buffering (also not an issue with OpenTok).
A little more information on the issues I've had with the new video system not working at all: I switched to Chrome again and saw a security alert icon in the upper right that warned of a suspicious script that had been blocked. When I overrode that, I got sound working again. &nbsp;The certificate for Roll20 appears to have an issue, and perhaps because of that the script for the new video is being blocked as a suspected risk. &nbsp;This may have been the same issue with Firefox but I haven't seen an alert there (other than the site no longer being https). &nbsp;Hopefully this will help debug some of the issues people have been having. I would still appreciate OpenTok being available until these issues are corrected, the site is too fragile to depend on at the moment.
I just wanted to add my voice here. &nbsp;The new chat made our game unplayable last night with constant connection and a/v issues (We saw most of the problems already detailed here). &nbsp;We switched to google hangouts and there were no issues after that. &nbsp;It seems like the new chat just isn't ready for prime time yet and the old tech should be available until it is.&nbsp; I appreciate all the work you guys are putting into this platform. &nbsp;All the past changes have been positive and it continuously improves. &nbsp;This new chat tech has been the only setback for our group. I have confidence that you will get it all worked out and it will be better than before.
Well, this was a weird moment to login and post, considering I'm one of the players in K P's campaign. Last night was rough. I want to add to Bill H.'s issue regarding the script. When I tried to switch from Chrome to Firefox last night, I was constantly getting pop ups that the a "script" had stopped working. If I chose to wait, it would just crash the browser, and, of course, if I stopped the script, it would hang, as well. So it certainly seems the browsers are having problems with the actual script (whether it is an actual bug, or a security risk), and that is causing huge issues. I like the promise of the new features, and when it works it has been great. The problem right now, though, is that it doesn't always work and that is causing problems when trying to have an uninterrupted game session.
I used it in our game last night for the first time. It ran smooth without errors. All the features worked for us, whisper, moving the windows, muting. Previously we always used Google Hangout for voice and video during our games. One feature I would like to see is more control on where how the voice is output. In Google Hangout, and most video games, player voices should come through the headset and music, SFX come through the PC speakers. I wasnt able to do that in Roll20.

Edited 1480716841
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've been working my butt off since this blew up and have made some really good progress and am hoping to have that progress on the dev server before the weekend, and if that goes well then out to everyone else asap. A majority of the issues, and time I was spending trying to fix them was stemming from the code library I was using to handle the meat of the WebRTC connecting. I had picked a library that was very "hand-holdy" to start with because I knew nothing about WebRTC and was looking for "easy". It turns out what we are trying to do with our chat is nowhere near "easy" and I need quite a bit more control over everything than the old library would allow me. So, I have basically scrapped that part and rewritten it from scratch with new library that gives me all of the control I need to successfully integrate it with the Roll20 app. On top of fixing some of the issues I listed above already, the new code finally allows me to do one very cool new thing. Give you a "reconnect" button that will kill you chat and reload it in a matter of seconds rather than having to reload the whole browser page. As on top of being able to change your settings on the fly, this alone should give you an easy workaround for 90% of issues while I finish getting the app into perfect working order. I will post again when the new stuff is on dev. Thank you for your patience, I assure you I'm working every day until my brain melts to get the chat back to a place where I'm happy with it!

Edited 1480716588
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Waiting with bated breath before our next game... Thanks for the work Phil.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Keep up the great work!

Edited 1480725224
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The updated code is now on dev. This should fix: Not being able to mute the DM Black bar in your local video window. (maybe? I don't know what is causing this in the first place, but I've rewritten all of the back-end so it might have fixed whatever the issue was) Whole group reloading when DM changes any settings. Broadcast settings not working correctly. I did not get a chance to look over the "getting stuck in whisper mode" bug, but you should be able to use the "Reconnect" button in the settings to fix it in the mean time. I changed enough code, it might have just fixed itself, but I'm not convinced. The new Reconnect button will fix a lot of issues. If you're having trouble connecting to someone hit the button, if that doesn't fix it have them hit the button. This fixed things like disconnects or weird connection issues or volume/whisper control issue almost 90% of the time in my own testing and it works without having to reload your whole campaign. If you still have any of the above errors, or you run into some new ones, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am determined to make this new chat the best it can possibly be!
Thanks for all your hard work, Phil. I'm sure you've been dying with all these reports coming in. I know you only hear from some of us when something is broken, but we really do appreciate having Roll20 available for our games. I'm looking forward to trying out the improved A/V soon. :)&nbsp;

Edited 1480759738
Just tried it again, and still no sound in Firefox (still showing a security issue with the site certificate script, preventing HTTPS connection). &nbsp;While it had been working last night in Google Chrome after I accepted "load unsafe scripts", it no longer is. &nbsp;No sound at all. &nbsp;PLEASE bring back OpenTok until you get this fixed and tested.
Hello Phil, I had opened another thread for bandwidth issue with the new Roll20 audio/video chat. At my home I have a xDSL connection with about 370 Kb/s for upload (40 KB/s) and 3265 kb/s for download (408 KB/s). With OpenTok, I was able to play (as Game Master) with 6 players with correct audio and video). Sometimes, I had to close my own "send video" (but still receiving the players videos) in order to have correct audio quality. And when i looked at my router network statistics, i could see that the use of upload bandwidth was far lower when the video was off for me. Now with the new audio/video chat, the audio and video are worsts. 2 days ago, even with video off, the audio was bad. And when i cut off the video off for me, i see no difference in the upload bandwith and the sound is still bad. You can see details in the previous thread (with network statistics graphics ....) if it may help you for optimization :&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4203584/new-video-chat-is-using-too-much-bandwidth" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4203584/new-video-chat-is-using-too-much-bandwidth</a> Have a nice week-end
Not sure if this is a bug or a lack of a feature as I haven't tested in a group yet. Before, when I logged in on my own, I'd be able to see my own webcam feed. Does it now require at least 2 people for this to occur, or am I experiencing an issue? Thanks
Hi all. &nbsp;Love Roll20! &nbsp;Having no indication anymore of who is talking on the voice chat is quite the nuisance. &nbsp;Please resolve. &nbsp;Thanks!

Edited 1480799213
Hello, We are a 6players group, impossible to heard all of us, always a pair that didn't receive sound form the other. we try deconect/reconect, switch to Chrome/Firefox ... no effect
Well, it's working better than the beta! It is at least marginally functional for everyone, which is better than it used to be, where it would work for two out of the 7 of us. We have one player whose volume we cannot change.&nbsp; The lack of indication of who is broadcasting/speaking is kind of a big usability problem for us. If you could add that back in it would be great! As GM, I can't whisper with players who aren't broadcasting audio. That seems kinda broken?