Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating Custom Dice

I tried searching for specifically what I'm looking for, but I couldn't find it in the forums, probably my failure to be able to search thoroughly enough. However I really need the answer, so I'm just going to ask. I'm making my own homebrew game for a friend and myself, and it requires the use of custom dice. Rollable tables just weren't good enough for me, so I really wanted to make use of the API stuff. The problem is I know nothing about coding or scripting. Basically I just need to be able to have dice with custom pictures, not unlike HeroQuest, rather than numbers. Is there a script already out there that someone could walk me through on what I need to change to use my own art, etc? Or if someone is willing to show me to an easy to understand guide on how to write the script myself? Any help is really appreciated, time is becoming a factor.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
There are quite a few API Scripts that have been written to accomodate special dice-rolling rules, and I know there are users here in the API Forum who would be happy to help you adapt one of these scripts (or write your own) to suit your needs. To start, I recommend outlining all of the mechanics you want to include within your dice-rolling script. If you additionally took some time to check out the dice-rolling scripts in the Roll20 API Repository , and choose a script that seems like it incorporates any mechanics that are at all similar to the ones you'd like for your own script, that would bring you a lot closer to the completion of this project. Good luck!
Well I don't really need it to do anything special other than displaying pictures for die roll results other than numbers. I imagine it's probably pretty simple to do. The special dice APIs I've seen seem to include other mechanics, so I'm not sure what I need to take out or include to make it work right.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
It might help to know what you envision this script doing that Rollable Tables cannot.
Well I guess in a way I'd just like to use something basic to get an understanding of how to build an API script like what I describe, and then perhaps later go back and add more functionality to it after I see something really basic like what I described.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If all you need to do is roll pictures instead of numbers, rollable tables are the way to go. No scripting required.
I guess this sounds silly, but I hate the excess text that gets posted with rollable tables. Is there some way to only display the results without saying which table got rolled and all that?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Aphrodisia said: Is there some way to only display the results without saying which table got rolled and all that? There's a sort-of advanced "trick" that can do this, which is outlined here . e.g. [ [[ ](<a href="http://www.speedymath.com/images/dice/" rel="nofollow">http://www.speedymath.com/images/dice/</a> [[1d6]] -border.gif)
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Another option would be to use rollable tokens, randomly selecting the image to display on the tabletop instead of displaying the image plus text in the chat log.
Rob
Pro
Sheet Author
i managed to make a custom template do this