Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e Shaped] Stop automatic updates?

Just curious, is there a way to stop getting updates to the shaped sheets and just go with an older version? My players and I have been having problems with the shaped sheets ever since 5.x.x and although I love the sheet, I'd much rather have a stable version and stick with it rather than essentially playing with a live beta or developer's version that keeps changing on us every couple of weeks. It's really annoying when we log in for a session and have to spend half an hour re-building all the spells and features that mysteriously disappeared during an update, then constantly have bugs and glitches throughout the session. Sure, the sheets might look nicer and have more features, but even if they worked we'd still rather just have one sheet and keep it.   Is there perhaps a way to run a legacy 5e Shaped sheet? That would be an option I'm sure I would not be the only one to appreciate.
If you subscribe as Pro-User, you can choose the time of the update. You just take the version you want from git. Free and Plus subscriptions are on the update line of the selected character sheet.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As Findulas mentioned, there isn't a way to stop automatic upgrades. If you're experiencing issues the best way to ensure they're solved is to log them on the  issue tracker . The upgrades are designed to not require any effort, but aren't always perfect. But having to rebuild as you describe should'nt be required at all.
Luckily, I have an old campaign using the Jan 16, 2016 build of the sheets, which we never had any problems with. I'll just switch our campaign over to that one. I'd rather not spend my weekends being a beta tester and recording script errors. That sounds like the opposite of what I actually want to do when I'm playing D&D. Plus, we've basically gotten to the point where all my players are keeping a second character sheet off of Roll20 because the shaped sheets are so unreliable.   My diagnosis: too many updates. Instead of pushing an update every time you find a small problem, chase down the issues and release the small updates in an unstable build. Let the Pro users have access to the unstable build, and when the issues are resolved, release it as the new stable build. That way, casual users may have to deal with some minor problems from time to time, but they don't have to deal with a whole host of new problems ever time a new feature gets introduced.   This is how the vast majority of software is maintained. 

Edited 1481446465
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's exactly the process I use, but people who pay for a subscription are no more likely to enjoy testing either. Things aren't quite as simple as you suggest. Beyond that the amount of actual bugs that currently pop up are rather few. Nothing like the amount you've suggested.

Edited 1481643122
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andrew L. said:  Let the Pro users have access to the unstable build, and when the issues are resolved, release it as the new stable build. That way, casual users may have to deal with some minor problems from time to time, but they don't have to deal with a whole host of new problems ever time a new feature gets introduced.   This is how the vast majority of software is maintained.  That's what we do. but almost everyone says the same as you "that's not how I want to spend my time" so we volunteers have to spend a ton of time testing, and we don't always know the vastly different configurations of data people have out there. A few power users help us test but that's it. Lots of people are more willing to complain than to help test.