Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] Sheet Style 1, Bugs+Suggestions

I prefer the layout of the first style of GURPS character sheet, however having used it as a player and now as a GM there are a few bugs or features that could make it better. I wanted to post in case someone with the time, know-how, and desire wants to fix them.  The 'Point Summary' on the 'General' tab sums up points spent on attributes. It does not sum up points spent on traits and skills. This should be simple math? Add up all the advantages, disadvantages, and racial traits and put the total in the appropriate box. Repeat for skills. Only thing I can think of is maybe the different tabs can't talk to one another? Reason: the first thing any player comments on when showing them this character sheet is how it doesn't add up the skills / traits. Some have refused to use it at all because of this. The workaround is to add them all up yourself and put the resulting number in the box on the General tab. It's easy to miss a skill here or there if you have a lot of them.  On the 'Combat' tab, under 'Ranged Attacks', several of the entries are set to accept integer numbers only. They pop up with an error if you put a decimal (but you can ignore it) and won't accept text at all. This doesn't work for all GURPS ranged weapons. Take Shotguns as an example, whose 'Rate of Fire' (RoF) might be 3x9. You can't put 27 because the 3 and the 9 are important individually in different situations. Recoil is another one, designated for example as '1/5'. The 1 and the 5 are each important in different situations and the box won't allow a /. Reason: while able to be worked around (I'm using a . to replace x and /) it would be more GURPS compliant if these boxes accepted text. As far as I can tell these numbers are for reference only and not used in any math. If they were being used in math (maybe for API users or advanced macros outside the sheet) you may have to have 2-4 entries just to represent one shotgun.  On the 'Wealth' tab the 'On' tick box doesn't toggle. It appears that the intent is you can designate what you're carrying and only the ticked items will be added to the tally at the bottom. However, since you can't toggle the box this feature is broken.  Reason: bug fix On the 'Skills' tab there is a button at the far right that you can click to roll that skill. This should be moved to the left where it is easier to click. I've had several players roll the wrong skill because they lose track of which row is which skill by the time they get to the right.  Reason: convenience
Hey there. I just submitted some fixes for the style #2 sheet. I can take a look at these, except for one. Tim R said: The 'Point Summary' on the 'General' tab sums up points spent on attributes. It does not sum up points spent on traits and skills. This should be simple math? Add up all the advantages, disadvantages, and racial traits and put the total in the appropriate box. Repeat for skills. Only thing I can think of is maybe the different tabs can't talk to one another? Reason: the first thing any player comments on when showing them this character sheet is how it doesn't add up the skills / traits. Some have refused to use it at all because of this. The workaround is to add them all up yourself and put the resulting number in the box on the General tab. It's easy to miss a skill here or there if you have a lot of them. The reason being, Repeating Sections. Without a script sheet worker, this is impossible because those fields are repeating sections. The only way to solve this without that is to make a finite number of them that can not be increased or decreased, which, probably won't work for the game. If you have any other things you'd like addressed or issues to work on, feel free to PM me. I'll pull the code tonight, but I wouldn't expect any changes prior to 12/19/16. I may be able to get them through by Monday, but it depends on how much work is needed.
Cool, thanks for the help. As you identified limited skills / traits wouldn't work well for GURPS. The only work-around I can think of would be a drop down where you select specific ranges. Such as "Skills 1-10 ; 11-20 ; 21-30; etc" but that is janky. In the same game I played a character with somewhere between 25 and 40 skills and another guy had a character with less than 10 so it can be very variable. 
Yeah, unfortunately, you need a script to autopull repeating sections because they may or may not exist. That's actually the root of the problem in the wealth section also. Even if the checkbox worked, which, based on the language left in the sheet description, I guess they were coming back to it eventually (?) but, it still wouldn't do anything to your total weight without a script worker. I did manage to fix the other issues though. If you'd like to come take a look, you can find me here.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
SFX You da man!! You helped on both GURPS sheets - another Gold Star for you! Mike
I'm not a sub, so forgive me if I don't understand how the sheets and helper scripts work, but looking through some information it looks like the following: <script type="text/worker"> on("change:repeating_item:attr_weighttotal", function() { for(var item in repeating_item) { totalWeight += item.attr_weighttotal; } attr_total_weight.value = totalWeight; }); </script> ... would work. Am I wrong? 
So I decided to sub at the Pro level and take a look... after a couple of days of messing around, I figured out how to get the items weights and costs to total up. I submitted a pull request and merged. I don't know how long it takes for the update to show up though.