Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] Doors and Dynamic Lighting

Hey so I was wondering a thing.  I love building fun maps for my players, and I adore the dynamic lighting system. However, when they open a door, it takes a concerning amount of time to go to the layer the door is on, move it, go to the lighting layer, delete the line, redraw the line, go back to token layer......... I've seen in other scripts that it is possible to relate objects to one another on different layers. Could I do this with lighting lines and a token, maybe? I'd like to be able to simply move the door and have the lighting update with it, if possible. Halp!
This is not really relative to your question, but I find it easier to just move the dynamic lighting line only instead of the line AND the door object. Let your players use their "theater of mind" to open the door.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
There are quite a few scripts that can make handling 'doors' easier, e.g. Door Controls DynamicLightRecorder Path Splitter
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I tend to draw the DL for doors in a different colour, it makes them very easy to find. And otherwise I do the same as Kyle.
+1 for Matt's Door Control script. Love to give the players the ability to open and close doors by themselves.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Silvyre said: There are quite a few scripts that can make handling 'doors' easier, e.g. Door Controls DynamicLightRecorder Path Splitter My 3 favorite API Scripts. Really, the only 3 I use on a regular basis.
From what I've read, DynamicLightRecorder is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you so much for pointing me to this!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Awesome! Good luck!
Oh hey quick question: How do I get a script from github to my game? I might figure it out by the time you answer, but it never hurts to ask, right?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can either copy paste the code into a new script on the API page or, if it is one-click enabled, just select it from the drop down menu on the API script page of your campaign.
Awesome. You guys have been a huge help. Thanks!