Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Request] DM Alert

I'd like to have a script where there is a way for players to toggle a light on and off so that their party and the DM can see that they are trying to get involved in whatever is going on currently. It will help players who have trouble speaking over players or when there is one player talking over everyone. It seemed easist if a player toggled on their light that it would just reference the color of their player token and dice. Either a checkbox or a script command that turns the light on and off would be easiest and was hoping for a visual indicator that either attached to the chat in it's own window or able to be moved around in a separate window. Not sure of the easiest way to do this. Here is an image of what I envision the indicator bar to look like .
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There isn't a way for the API to affect the UI, but I have some ideas. I'll see if I can get you something simple shortly. 

Edited 1483402440
Thanks! Wasn't sure if there was a way to do it with the UI or not. Maybe something to modify the player's token so it could do something similar while giving a chat message that it was turned on/off. Adjust the tint of the token to match their dice/token color maybe. I'm not completely sure of what possibilities are out there as I just started using the API in my games. I'm running your GroupInitiative script and it's great.
Gold
Forum Champion
Wyladar said: Wasn't sure if there was a way to do it with the UI or not. Maybe something to modify the player's token so it could do something similar while giving a chat message that it was turned on/off. Adjust the tint of the token to match their dice/token color maybe. I'm not completely sure of what possibilities are out there as I just started using the API in my games. I'm running your GroupInitiative script and it's great. All of those ideas --- Tint their Token (on/off with 1 macro button), give their token a big colorful Aura (on/off), adding-removing a certain status marker or color-bubble on their token, and also simultaneously sending a message into chat ("Frodo Is Ready!" / "Frodo is finished.")... could be done with The Aaron's existing API script called, Token-Mod, and putting that API trigger into a Global Macro which is given to All Players. This could give the players a macro button at the bottom of the screen to toggle into "Ready" mode, or turn it back off.  It wouldn't do anything to highlight the PLAYER avatar at the bottom of the screen, but it would be able to highlight their character-token and send Chat alerts easily.  You could also add Special Effects on their token with the /fx macro commands (such as making the ready-players glow with a fire burst). But I would advise to wait and see what other ideas Aaron may have for a different approach.
Gold said: Wyladar said: Wasn't sure if there was a way to do it with the UI or not. Maybe something to modify the player's token so it could do something similar while giving a chat message that it was turned on/off. Adjust the tint of the token to match their dice/token color maybe. I'm not completely sure of what possibilities are out there as I just started using the API in my games. I'm running your GroupInitiative script and it's great. All of those ideas --- Tint their Token (on/off with 1 macro button), give their token a big colorful Aura (on/off), adding-removing a certain status marker or color-bubble on their token, and also simultaneously sending a message into chat ("Frodo Is Ready!" / "Frodo is finished.")... could be done with The Aaron's existing API script called, Token-Mod, and putting that API trigger into a Global Macro which is given to All Players. This could give the players a macro button at the bottom of the screen to toggle into "Ready" mode, or turn it back off.  It wouldn't do anything to highlight the PLAYER avatar at the bottom of the screen, but it would be able to highlight their character-token and send Chat alerts easily.  You could also add Special Effects on their token with the /fx macro commands (such as making the ready-players glow with a fire burst). But I would advise to wait and see what other ideas Aaron may have for a different approach. Absolutely!
I hadn't even thought of lighting up the player avatars down below. That's a great idea as well.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The only thing on the player avatars that could be affected is the player color. My API heartbeat script does that. However, it could be disruptive if they are drawing or rolling.  You could use TokenMod to change properties on a token, but that might interfere with other things and may not be immediately noticed. Likewise, a whisper to the GM could get buried in other text.  I like the idea of this script as it presents the opportunity for some cloak and dagger between players as well. It reminds me of a game for a convention I put together a decade ago or so. :) There are a few options I had in mind. 1) Have the lights you mentioned be placed in a special handout. The API would change them on and off as needed and you'd just have to have that handout open and sized as desired. You could even pop it out. I'd just have to have the script remind you to open it when a GM joins the game as the API can't open it for you (but can give you a button to click to do it). 2) I could have the API create a special macro button to put in your macro bar and have it change names as people flag their need. I'm not sure if I can set the color of the button, but I'll look into it.  3) I could have the lights displayed in a whispered chat message whenever they change and again after every so often/every so many chat messages.  4) I could add a special entry to the turn order and pop it up when players raise their hands. Some protection could be provided for not doing that if it's in use for another purpose.  Anyway, that's off the top of my head. I like 1) the best, but what do you think?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: I could have the API create a special macro button to put in your macro bar and have it change names as people flag their need. I'm not sure if I can set the color of the button, but I'll look into it. Unless the API was updated and the documentation was not, we don't have access to macro button colors.
The Aaron said: The only thing on the player avatars that could be affected is the player color. My API heartbeat script does that. However, it could be disruptive if they are drawing or rolling.  You could use TokenMod to change properties on a token, but that might interfere with other things and may not be immediately noticed. Likewise, a whisper to the GM could get buried in other text.  I like the idea of this script as it presents the opportunity for some cloak and dagger between players as well. It reminds me of a game for a convention I put together a decade ago or so. :) There are a few options I had in mind. 1) Have the lights you mentioned be placed in a special handout. The API would change them on and off as needed and you'd just have to have that handout open and sized as desired. You could even pop it out. I'd just have to have the script remind you to open it when a GM joins the game as the API can't open it for you (but can give you a button to click to do it). 2) I could have the API create a special macro button to put in your macro bar and have it change names as people flag their need. I'm not sure if I can set the color of the button, but I'll look into it.  3) I could have the lights displayed in a whispered chat message whenever they change and again after every so often/every so many chat messages.  4) I could add a special entry to the turn order and pop it up when players raise their hands. Some protection could be provided for not doing that if it's in use for another purpose.  Anyway, that's off the top of my head. I like 1) the best, but what do you think? I like 1 the best as well, probably 4 as a good second
I use the sound FX script. I had a mute player and gave her this macro: /me ?{Say_Something|um} !sfx song:Bell action:play unique:true volume:60
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Brian said: The Aaron said: I could have the API create a special macro button to put in your macro bar and have it change names as people flag their need. I'm not sure if I can set the color of the button, but I'll look into it. Unless the API was updated and the documentation was not, we don't have access to macro button colors. Yup, that's precisely the digging I'm referring to. :)
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Brian said: The Aaron said: I could have the API create a special macro button to put in your macro bar and have it change names as people flag their need. I'm not sure if I can set the color of the button, but I'll look into it. Unless the API was updated and the documentation was not, we don't have access to macro button colors. Yup, that's precisely the digging I'm referring to. :) I thought I have seen colored macros.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Right, the Buttons can be colored, but the API doesn't have access to set that coloring. =/
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Right, the Buttons can be colored, but the API doesn't have access to set that coloring. =/ So... go work on that GM layer label script.... circle back to this later (and make sure Russ's recyle bins are propperly stored. Oh... and tell Brian to not be such a font snob.)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Hahahah! So much inside humor, you're going to break the internet. :)
Personally in my games i just use a simple macro like /em tries to speak up. Works pretty well for the intended purpose ;)
What about just having a Handout for each player that says something like "I would like to say something or perform an action".  Then when the player needs to interrupt, they open it in the journal and press "Show Players"?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Players aren't given the option to Show Players on a handout.