Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What level are your characters?

Duncan S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'm interested to know what level most player's characters are at? AND/OR do you like to start at level 1 every now and then for a new group or module/campaign?

Edited 1483578332
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I'd imagine that starting from 1st level is probably a safe bet for a Marketplace module.
Nibrodooh
Pro
Sheet Author
Depends on the system and theme of the campaign. While playing pathfinder I will start campaigns at level 4 usually, but will occasionally start at higher levels (~12) if I am running a one shot where a more "heroic" feel. In 5e I will usually start at level 1 for a campaign, and with heroic one shots i would run around 8 (but have not yet run any). New systems I try I usually prefer to run games at first level so that complexity can be layered on gradually instead of all at once. 
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
My 13th Age Alliance games are at 6th level because that's what Ironfire part 2 is designed for. Next is Tides of Fate at 7th level, then Dungeon Moon at 9th level. Then I start a new game for the next season of 13th Age Organized Play.
Gold
Forum Champion
I like a long term epic campaign (could be a series of modules) that goes from Level 1 up to Level 7-10 or possibly even higher. I've managed to play or GM a couple of these long-term adventures so far since Roll20 started back in 2012.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The module I've put on the Marketplace is from Level 1. But as it is coming out in volumes, you could start at Vol2 if you wanted... but the first volume is a handy way for players to get used to working together.  Plus depending on the GM it could be a launching point for a different storyline to the one I am working upon.

Edited 1483618374
Ink Dungeons
Marketplace Creator
I'm not a very experienced D&D player but I'm finding that finding a group that works well and stays together for very long is tough to find. In respect to characters, I see level 1-4 typically before GM fatigue happens or a badly balanced encounter hits and the party is wiped. (Like I said, I'm pretty new to roll20 and still trying to establish a group) And I find a lot of games start at level 3. I think I'd rather start at level 1, but level up faster. I kind of have this theory that for PC excitement and engagement PCs should level up after X sessions equal to their current level. So spend one session at level one, two sessions and at level two, and so forth. Just some random thoughts and what I'm seeing as a new player/GM. The first game I GMed I followed the DMG 100%... realized levelling up without milestone rewards or is unbelievably slow. Like I mean, if you just give out xp for surviving monster encounters by some means, level 1 will easily take 10-15 hours lol Must give out bonus xp. Totally fell into a rant, sorry sorry lol
I start campaigns at first level, but my campaigns last a long time and later I generally bring them in a bit below the lowest level character. One of my games has been running for 24 years, another just hit 3 years and my "baby" game is at 1.5 years. It does become a challenge to prepare for characters that would be gods to first level characters.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
We usually start at 3rd level, just to hit the archetypes. We have 4 DMs in various campaigns, all of which started with 5e, and the highest characters are around 11-12th level.

Edited 1483760318
I second keithcurtis. I always start my games at level 3, since monoclass characters get their first real peak there, and at this point you can actually start out with a viable multiclass concept to reinforce your character backstory. I also find that starting at level 3 gives the players more to play with in terms of their backstory and the arising RP-opportunities, since you could reasonably asume that a 3rd level character has some stories to tell about his previous adventures.
I usually start at lvl 1
Current campaign AD&D blend of 1e and 2e,  PC's all started at 1st and most are between 10-11 now.  All games are Homebrew and in a realm we've been playing in since 82 or so.  I expect, as DM, most of them will finish around 18th or so.  We use no racial level restrictions among other table rules.   The only thing that really matters is are you having fun.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am not sure but I have found that a lot of campaigns I have attended or ran are around 4 to 12. Often don't see to much for higher level in the teens. Though I would love to see some campaigns that cater to the higher end of levels.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Joshua Kurz said: I am not sure but I have found that a lot of campaigns I have attended or ran are around 4 to 12. Often don't see to much for higher level in the teens. Though I would love to see some campaigns that cater to the higher end of levels. For those digging, the Chosen One (in all six parts) should get D&D3.5E characters up around Level 17-18.  The Prologue is Level 1 and for players to get used to working with each other in only moderate* life threatening danger. * Unless you are a Wizard. At this point, anything more hostile than an angry housecat is a mortal danger. You should keep a certain number of heavily armoured weapon-wielding goons in between the housecats and yourself.