Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Light Radius isn't the same as selected value

Edited 1483809872
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We are somewhat new to Roll20.  We were testing out dynamic lighting... looks very cool.  But when we try to set the light radius of an object, it doesn't match what we see on the map.  We've tried from more than one computer and all see the same radii.  I started making a chart to try and see what the "formula" is for generating the light radius.   token size light setting radius from token center radius from token edge 5' (1x1) 5 7.5' 5' 10' (2x2) 10 15' 10' 20' (4x4) 20 30' 20' I would have thought, based on the above values, that the light radius is measured from the edge of the token... but this is misleading.  That's only true when the token size and light setting are the same.  The second they aren't the same... things get all out of whack: token size light setting radius from token center radius from token edge 5' (1x1) 10 11.1' 6.1' 10' (2x2) 20 22.4' 17.4 20' (4x4) 5 18.6' 8.6' I would have thought that the light radius would always be measured from either the center of the token or the edge.  Aura's appear to be measured from the edge... so why aren't tokens the same?  Can anyone shed some light (pun intended) on this subject?  What's the actual formula being used? Darren

Edited 1483774950
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
After examining the numbers, it appears the light radius displayed is measured from the center of the token and is equal to  (T+L)*.75 where T = token diameter L = token light radius So if my token is 25' (5x5 squares) and my chosen light radius is 15', then the displayed light will be 30' radius from the center of the token [ (T+L)*.75 = (25+15)*.75 = 30 ], or 17.5' from the edge of the token. I said it in my prior post... I would have thought the light radius would have been measured from the center or the edge, but not some weird formula. Darren
Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi Darren, I've noticed the same sort of peculiarity too. I've put together a ticket to investigate this further. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.