Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Stars Without Number - very odd roll details

Detailed Description of the Problem For most rolls, such as attacks or skill rolls, there will be a bunch of round functions in there, that usually don't change the outcome, but it is still very peculiar. It is also in damage rolls, where I know it has no place there. Steps to Reproduce the Problem Not entirely sure. Sometimes the extra functions are not there, sometimes they are. Sometimes all rolls made after a certain point seem to be that way, but none before, sometimes it seems to only affect newish character sheets. Description of Your Setup (Browser + Version, Operating System, etc. It happens to me and my players, no matter who rolls. Anyway, pretty sure we're all using windows 10 64bit. Browsers used are Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome, with no difference.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is part of the sheet code. The sheet's creator has to use some mathematical formula which is what you are seeing. I use something similar with my sheet (Basic Fantasy rpg) to calculate the attribute bonuses when a specific number is chosen.
Yeah, however it makes no sense. Those rolls added are not part of the rules of the game at all. Minimal example; a weapon is 1d4 and that's it. No bonuses ever added. So i enter 1d4 of damage into the damage field and it rolls like 4 functions. But by the rules it is meant to be 1d4. The extra stuff is erroneous, pretty sure of that.

Edited 1483821088
Silvyre
Forum Champion
That's a formula used to calculate an attribute's modifier; you can find it used throughout the sheet's HTML . Although, the sheet authors might want to nest those calculations within an additional pair of inline brackets to prevent confusion. I'm unfamiliar with the system, but I found these (p.61, Core): The Combat Roll Roll 1d20... + target’s Armor Class + attacker’s Combat skill + attacker’s attribute modifier + attacker’s Attack Bonus If the attack hits, the PC then rolls the damage dice associated with the weapon and adds the appropriate attribute bonus
Silvyre said: That's a formula used to calculate an attribute's modifier; you can find it used throughout the sheet's HTML . Although, the sheet authors might want to nest those calculations within an additional pair of inline brackets to prevent confusion. I'm unfamiliar with the system, but I found these (p.61, Core): The Combat Roll Roll 1d20... + target’s Armor Class + attacker’s Combat skill + attacker’s attribute modifier + attacker’s Attack Bonus If the attack hits, the PC then rolls the damage dice associated with the weapon and adds the appropriate attribute bonus Those are there as well. Look at the image  a rolled 12, the d20 + 9 the AC + 0 the skill + 2 the attack bonus +- 1 the attribute modifier. and then there's a bunch of rounds that don't make much sense, and every now and then, they are just not there:
Without looking at the code, the author probably added some brackets around the rounds and other math functions to hide them, but did not do so for all the rolls.
These were both attack rolls, using the same button just on different characters.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Fabian D. said: Does the Attributes & Abilities Tab of this Character contain any Attributes with names like "strBonus", "dexBonus", etc.?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I just looked at the sheet code in github and the stats have calc formulas. Here is an example of the str but all the attributes have formulas. <div class="sheet-col">             <input type="number" min="3" name="attr_str" class="sheet-stats-half">             <input type="hidden" disabled="true" name="attr_str-calc" value="(@{str}-2)">             <input type="number" disabled="true" name="attr_strBonus" value="round((0.00191845*@{str-calc}*@{str-calc}*@{str-calc})-(0.0489294*@{str-calc}*@{str-calc})+(0.548709*@{str-calc})+0.692308-3)" class="sheet-stats-half sheet-stat-bonus">           </div> and as an example of the melee roller  <div class="sheet-col">         <label for="roll_basic_melee_attack">Basic Melee Attack Roll</label>         <button type="roll" name="roll_basic_melee_attack" value="&{template:attack} {{characterName=@{name}}} {{attackType=Melee}} {{rollValue=[[1d20 + ?{AC|0} + ?{Combat Skill Bonus|0} + @{strBonus} + @{attack_bonus}]]}}" ></button>       </div> Why two sheets are acting differently I do not know nor could guess but doublecheck to make sure they are setup identically and try to see if they still roll differently. Which button did you use exactly? Just asking so anyone looking knows exactly where and what to look at.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Those strange calculations appear to be polynomial interpolations of some table of values; it's merely a way to calculate the table values automatically.
The same button in question, is the roll for attack in the weapon row. Anyway, I guess the bug is, that rolls aren't made equal and the formula beeing displayed (sometimes) can cause confusion.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Silvyre said: Fabian D. said: Does the Attributes & Abilities Tab of this Character contain any Attributes with names like "strBonus", "dexBonus", etc.? Did you have a chance to look into this, Fabian D. ?
Silvyre said: Silvyre said: Fabian D. said: Does the Attributes & Abilities Tab of this Character contain any Attributes with names like "strBonus", "dexBonus", etc.? Did you have a chance to look into this, Fabian D. ? Some of the newer sheets are missing the xBonus attributes and where they are missing I get the formula in the roll. So this seems to be why it is happening. I have no idea why those attributes are missing on newer sheets though.

Edited 1488826609
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Disabled (a.k.a. "auto-calculated") Attributes are defined within the sheet's HTML yet do not appear on an Attributes and Abilities Tab. They are, nonetheless, able to be called by macros (e.g. sheet rolls). However, if an Attribute (on an Attributes and Abilities Tab) uses the same name as an auto-calculated Attribute, the former will be called by macros in place of the latter. When this occurs (and it most-often occurs when a game switches Character Sheet Templates), it usually presents issues. If you see an Attribute (on an Attributes and Abilities Tab) that uses the same name as an auto-calculated Attribute, you should delete or rename that Attribute. To delete an Attribute, hover over it and press the x button that appears. I don't know how those "xBonus" Attributes came to exist on some of your Characters, but you should delete those Attributes (such that the auto-calculated Attributes of those Characters can be properly called by their sheet rolls).
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
To hide the calculation, and juste show the result of the attribute modifier calculation, the sheet author could have used the doubel-brackets synthax somewhere ("[[ calculation ]]") ... or sheet workers :)
So I did the Hiding thing. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... Great that one has to pay 10€ just to have the privilege of testing a fix by the way.