Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

For countries that dont use AM and PM ; when is 12:00 PM or 12:00 AM in Roll20 terms

Edited 1484580246
Normally Roll20 expresses time in GMT +1 . However it also expresses it in AM and PM . Now this is fine if its a time like 1:00 PM or something , but the definition of 12:00 Pm or AM changes according to where you are. Is 12:00 PM &nbsp;Midnight or is it Noon , according &nbsp;to roll20 time? This may even differ from the convention given below. <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock</a> from wikipedia It is not always clear what times "12:00 a.m." and "12:00 p.m." denote. From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday. Since strictly speaking "noon" (midday - meridies (m.)) is neither before nor after itself, the terms a.m. and p.m. do not apply. [17] Although "12 m." would be a logically consistent way to indicate noon, this is seldom done (and so risks misunderstanding), and it does not resolve the question of how to indicate midnight. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language has a usage note on this topic: "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight." [18] E. G. Richards in his book Mapping Time provided a diagram in which 12 a.m. means noon and 12 p.m. means midnight. [19] Many U.S. style guides, and NIST 's "Frequently asked questions (FAQ)" web page, [17] recommend that it is clearest if one refers to "noon" or "12:00 noon" and "midnight" or "12:00 midnight" (rather than to "12:00 p.m." and "12:00 a.m."). The NIST website explicitly states that "12 a.m. and 12 p.m. are ambiguous and should not be used." The Canadian Press Stylebook (11th Edition, 1999, page 288) says, "write noon or midnight, not 12 noon or 12 midnight." Phrases such as "12 a.m." and "12 p.m." are not mentioned at all. Britain's National Physical Laboratory "FAQ-Time" web page [20] states "In cases where the context cannot be relied upon to place a particular event, the pair of days straddling midnight can be quoted"; also "the terms 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. should be avoided." Likewise, some U.S. style guides recommend either clarifying "midnight" with other context clues, such as specifying the two dates between which it falls, or not referring to midnight at all. For an example of the latter method, "midnight" is replaced with "11:59 p.m." for the end of a day or "12:01 a.m." for the start of a day. That has become common in the United States in legal contracts and for airplane , bus , or train schedules, though some schedules use other conventions. Occasionally, when trains run at regular intervals, the pattern may be broken at midnight by displacing the midnight departure one or more minutes, such as to 23:59 or 00:01. [21] The 24-hour clock notation avoids these ambiguities by using 00:00 for midnight at the start of the day and 12:00 for noon and 24:00 for midnight at the end of a day. In Britain, various conventions are employed. For instance, on 17 December 2005 The Sun (London) newspaper's TV magazine used "noon (12.00)" and "midnight (0.00)" in individual listings. Sequential listings started with a.m. or p.m. as appropriate, but these indicators were not used again, although in sub-listings "12midnight" was sometimes employed. On the same date, London's The Daily Telegraph used "12.00noon" and "12.00midnight" in individual listings. In sequential listings the first programme to start after 12.00 was marked "am" or "pm" as appropriate.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I despise the notion of a 12pm/12am being used anywhere. =( That said, I'm 99% certain that 12pm in Roll20 vernacular is 12 noon.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Based on it living in the PM block here... And the "next game time" being in "1 hour from now" (and now it's nearing 11:00am): I'd say 12pm === 12 noon.
This needs to be noted somewhere for all to see or at least have an extra bit of text denoting noon or midnight . Another example of the British (and the people who were once under their rule) being British ;)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I've added a note in the wiki: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Next_Game_" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Next_Game_</a>... Next Game Will Be This field is where a Game's Creator can set the date and time when the next session will occur. The time is automatically converted to the view's local timezone. Note: 12:00pm is used to indicate a time of Noon, 12:00am is used to indicate a time of Midnight.

Edited 1484582232
since you work on API script, could you make it so there is an extra bit of text saying noon or midnight,&nbsp; when your game is being shown to people , in the LFG listings? Would make it a lot clearer, and might cut down on a bit of the noshow plague in roll20.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I'm afraid the API doesn't have near that sort of scope. &nbsp;It can only affect objects in a game, and then only in specific ways. &nbsp;Sorry about that. &nbsp; The best hack I could offer is to make sure your game never starts at precisely noon or midnight, use somethign unambiguous like 11:55pm or 11:55am. &nbsp;(People are usually 5 minutes late anyway so maybe you can start on time!) Hope that helps.

Edited 1484814222
If people just used military time this would be so much easier. :P EDIT: and it would be awesome if people added a timezone in their posts when lfg or lfp... &gt;.&lt;
Gold
Forum Champion
The Aaron said: The best hack I could offer is to make sure your game never starts at precisely noon or midnight, use somethign unambiguous like 11:55pm or 11:55am. &nbsp;(People are usually 5 minutes late anyway so maybe you can start on time!) I follow the above "hack" recommendation, but, I do it for every game. It might be Noon in someone else's time zone. &nbsp;Regardless of the time of day in my time zone, I just set it to show 5 minutes past the top of the hour for the starting time, such as 8:05pm.
I always list my times in adds as 19:00 EST(GMT-5) for just that reason, people still show up at the wrong time though...