Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Disposable NPC Generator

I was listening to Adam Koebel's you tube video today as I was working on some macros when he started talking about the on-the-fly NPC creation.  One of the immersive thing that Adam does very well is giving personality to NPCs in order to make player care for them.  A player that cares is an engaged player... me likey! 3 key things is required to make that happen. 1- A personality 2- A past 3- Likes (I can't remember exactly what he said, so I'll call this list "inspired by") Sadly I am not as skilled at creating a NPC on-the-fly, so I decided to work on a very simple Macro ("inspired by")  Phnord Prephect 's Insultinator 3000.  When ever my PCs wants to talk to someone you have not planned for (a random beggar on the street) and see an opportunity to introduce a disposable yet interesting NPC, I run this macro. /w GM The NPC has a [[1t[NPC-Personality]]] personality, with a past as a [[1t[NPC-Past]]] and he likes [[1t[NPC-Likes]]] For the personality table I used the 16 personality types (search google if you need more description). For the past table, I came up with professions that are likely to exist in the game setting. For the likes table, I came up with different sources of stimuli that a NPC would care to share with the PCs in some organic fashion (or not, there ARE weirdos out there).  Here are a few example of what I got with 3 tables of 16-19 items. Sometimes you get something simple (Mediator Monk Silence) Sometimes you get some gems (Advocate Farmer Fire)  Now we all know why farmer is in his past
A farmer that advocates for fire, I like it!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well established method of farming:&nbsp; <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash-and-burn" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash-and-burn</a> :)
I forgot to add that if anyone has ideas how to make this macro better, please be my guest :). I am quite new to DMing and Roll20 so it's always interesting to see what people can come up with.
Personally, I would just make it a roll template for organization instead of the sentence approach you have above. /w gm &{template:default} {{name=NPC Generator}} {{Personality=[[1t[NPC-Personality]]]}} {{Past=[[1t[NPC-Past]]]}} {{Likes=[[1t[NPC-Likes]]]}}
I made an NPC generator for my Stars Without Number game, the out put is: I use two Macros: **Getting Contact Details** /w GM **Height:** [[1.47 +(8d7*.01)]] m. /w GM *Multiply by 39.37 to get inches for reference. 6' 3" equals 1.91 m.* /w GM **Age:** [[((2d5)*(1D4))+16]] /w GM **Culture:** [[1t[Culture]]] /w GM **Gender:** [[1t[Gender]]] /w GM **✆:** [[1t[Sector]]]**:**[[1D90+9]] - [[1D90+9]] -[[1D90+9]] /w GM **Char:** [[3D6ro&lt;2]] /w GM **Problem:** [[1t[NPC-Prob]]] /w GM **Motivation:** [[1t[NPC-Mot]]] /w GM **Quirk:** [[1t[NPC-Quirk]]] /w GM **Affiliations** /w GM [[1t[NPC-Aff]]] /w GM [[1t[NPC-Aff]]] Then a culture specific macro: /w GM [[1t[Chinese-FN]]] [[1t[Chinese-LN]]] /w GM [[ ?{height|1.68}*39.37]] inches Of course there was a bit of typing to put in all of the tables, but now I can click a couple of buttons and a fairly fleshed out NPC is there, they even have phone numbers.
Kyle G. said: Personally, I would just make it a roll template for organization instead of the sentence approach you have above. /w gm &{template:default} {{name=NPC Generator}} {{Personality=[[1t[NPC-Personality]]]}} {{Past=[[1t[NPC-Past]]]}} {{Likes=[[1t[NPC-Likes]]]}} Love it! Considering the DM is the only one seeing that information, that format feels a lot better. Thanks for the input.&nbsp;
Thank you for this topic, I managed to put something really nice together with the macro posted here. Items are not weighted yet but so far it has generated consistently good, usable results. 7 tables (Attitude, Character, Complication, Looks, Oddity, Motivation and Social) with a total of 1 135 items. I borrowed the lists from <a href="http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/enemy_template/2612/" rel="nofollow">http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/enemy_template/2612/</a> and made my own additions.