Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New player questions, any help appreciated.

Whats the best way to get into DnD? It's always something I've wanted to do, would i understand more of it by watching youtube videos or twitch streams? Is it like okay to have basically my hand held for the first couple of (i dont even know what set things are called sorry) campaigns (?), should i try to go watch some at a local hobby shop? Any and all help would be really greatly appreciated. I'm really sorry if im posting this in the wrong sub forum I didnt see any really more appropriate.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hey Dustin K. , welcome to Roll20! To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) All said, please note the following from the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext Good luck!