Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

DnD 5e variable AC question

Hi guys, I'm just trying to figure out how shields with ranged weapons work with the DnD 5e character sheets. If my AC is 17 with a shield, but I put my shield away and draw my bow, does the character sheet and rolls automatically account for this or is this something that has to be adjusted manually? What's the best way of handling this? Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Which DnD 5e character sheet are you using? I use the Shaped sheet and it does have the facility to change attack bonuses and AC based on which options are clicked.
If you are using the 5e OGL character sheet, you can unequip the shield and it will adjust you AC accordingly.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can toggle the shield to be unequiped when you equip your bow on the Shaped sheet. Remember that removing a shield is an action.

Edited 1484760200
Kryx said: You can toggle the shield to be unequiped when you equip your bow on the Shaped sheet. Remember that removing a shield is an action. But dropping it is a free action and picking it up is an object interaction :)
Nice, thanks guys
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kyle G. said: But dropping it is a free action and picking it up is an object interaction :) Shield cannot be dropped. See Player's Handbook page 146 which outlines donning and doffing armor (including shields). Shields take 1 action to doff (remove).