Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Blindly whisper a roll to the GM?

I'm back with another (probably) stupid question. I have searched the Documentation Wiki and I can't find an answer, so hopefully someone can point out the obvious to me. I created a macro for my 2e Thief character for his thief skills. The reason I created a custom macro is that I want to be able to see in the chat output what he needs to roll in order to succeed for a given skill, and then I want to roll the actual percentage check so that only the GM can see the roll. Note that /gmroll or even /w gm does not work in this scenario! In both of those instances I still get to see the result of the roll. I want to perform a roll and I do not want to see the result of the roll! Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance for you guidance! -John
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
You may find the  BlindRoll  script useful
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Or maybe use  /talktomyself
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Finderski said: Or maybe use  /talktomyself He wants to whisper the result of the roll to his GM without him personally being able to see the results
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Powercards also has the option to display the output to only the GM using the --whisper| tag. Basically you can only achieve what you want using the API.
Ahhh...interesting. OK, so this wasn't necessarily a stupid question! Luckily it looks like there is a relatively simple answer and I just need to tap into the power of the API. Thanks for the answers everyone! -John

Edited 1484840419
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You could actually get pretty close to what you want with  API(API access not required) Command Buttons. Your macro would look like this: /w You Your required target number is X /w gm [Thief Skill Roll](! [[ 
/w gm [[1d100<X]]) Note that the roll is actually done when you send this macro, but the result is not displayed until the GM clicks the button. The bolded spare set of opening inline roll brackets are to force the inline roll expression to parse as text so that the button can be properly made.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Scott C. said: The bolded spare set of opening inline roll brackets are to force the inline roll expression to parse as text so that the button can be properly made. Clever!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Silvyre said: Scott C. said: The bolded spare set of opening inline roll brackets are to force the inline roll expression to parse as text so that the button can be properly made. Clever! Heh, it's your idea from several other threads about various things :)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I never thought to apply it to API Command Buttons!

Edited 1484868735
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep it allows shenanigans like  this . edit: scratch that, forgot I changed how that macro works
I always forget about API Command Buttons. That is a really cool suggestion! Thanks Scott C. for that, and thanks to everyone else who helped point me in the correct direction.