Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Help With A Macro To Choose Prewritten Text From A List On Attack

Edited 1485070566
I'm not sure how to word the request, so the title is the best I can do, so I'm sorry for it being kind of awkward. I've recently learned that I can add text to my macro attack for each of my weapons. So each time I use my rapier it rolls for attack and says something like Mike screams, "Feel the deadly thorns of The Rose!"  But I got to thinking, after a few attacks this might get kind of boring seeing the same thing every time. I figured there was a way to create a macro that could pick from a list of prewritten text. However I've googled and searched the forums and haven't really figured out how to do something like this. I'm not really sure I'm asking the right questions when I search since I know very little about making macros, I'm not even sure its possible. So I figured I'd ask the forum if anyone has created a macro that did this or something similar and wouldn't mind sharing it. Or if anyone could direct me to somewhere I can figure out how to create a macro that can do that. Thanks in advance!
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Sure. You can use the query macro text. Simply put your options into this and seperate the options by a vertical bar |. Example ?{Attack text|Option 1|option2|option 3|option 4}
What you could do is create a rollable table that would hold your list of catchphrases and then in your attack macro you could do /em 1t[Catchphrase]
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Kyle G. said: What you could do is create a rollable table that would hold your list of catchphrases and then in your attack macro you could do /em 1t[Catchphrase] Note that if you aren't the GM of the game, the GM would need to create the table for you.
Franky H. said: Kyle G. said: What you could do is create a rollable table that would hold your list of catchphrases and then in your attack macro you could do /em 1t[Catchphrase] Note that if you aren't the GM of the game, the GM would need to create the table for you. Makes sense. I've never been a player, only ever a GM, so I don't know those differences
You guys are awesome, thanks for the responses. I'm going to see what I can make happen.
A query marco text isn't what I'm really looking for, it basically opens a window allowing me to pick an option. What I'm wanting is a macro that I can add to the end of a weapons attack macro that will choose one of 4-10 lines of different text or emotes automatically when I select the weapon's dice roller. I don't know enough about macros in Roll20 to know if this is even possible. It seems like there should be a way to do this, however I really just don't know how to do it, 
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Jay D. said: A query marco text isn't what I'm really looking for, it basically opens a window allowing me to pick an option. What I'm wanting is a macro that I can add to the end of a weapons attack macro that will choose one of 4-10 lines of different text or emotes automatically when I select the weapon's dice roller. I don't know enough about macros in Roll20 to know if this is even possible. It seems like there should be a way to do this, however I really just don't know how to do it,  Then your best option is to ask your gm to make a rollable table for you, and add [[1t[table-name] ]] where you want it to come up, as Kyle said
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only way i can think of to do this is to get the GM to create a rollable table, with the text you want, and then you can place a call to that table in your macro.  
Get you GM to make a rollable table of your words of wisdom and use /me [[1t[NameOfYourTable]]] where it is appropriate.

Edited 1485120045
GM will need to assign a table to you.  However if your unable to get that I made a macro similar to Frankys -------------------------------------------------------------------- &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{initflag=true}} {{name=@{selected|character_name} }} {{subtags=Strikes ?{Item?|the offending subject} with all his might!}}To Hit {{attack1=hitting AC [[1d20+[[@{meleeattackbonus} ]]]]}}{{notes=@{meleeattacknote}Damage [[1d10 + 5[STR] + 2[WeaponBonus] + ?{DamageMod|0} ]]}} Allows for you to customize the text your self each time. ?{Action Phrase?|You have offended me evil one| Thou shall be punished|The breakfast syrup shall be your salvation!|Insert here|Insert here 2|Insert here 3}  This format right here creates a drop downlist like your asking for.  Just add it to the above and you'll be able to do what ever Just change and add as you need.  Your damage is not my damage, you may want to tinker with that a bit. &{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{initflag=true}} {{name=@{selected|character_name} }} {{subtags=?{Action Phrase?|You have offended me evil one| Thou shall be punished|The breakfast syrup shall be your salvation!|Insert here|Insert here 2|Insert here 3}}} To Hit {{attack1=hitting AC [[1d20+[[@{meleeattackbonus} ]]]]}}{{notes=@{meleeattacknote}Damage [[1d10 + 5[STR] + 2[WeaponBonus] + ?{DamageMod|0} ]]}} However this macro is good for a single attack at your highest bab as well
Looks like a rollable table is the only option to really accomplish what I'm wanting to do. It seems to be spot on. I was hoping for something that wouldn't require more work for my GM. I'm going to talk to him and see if he can help me out. Thanks for the assist!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Jay D. said: I was hoping for something that wouldn't require more work for my GM. If your GM is a Pro subscriber, you could use TableExport to take the work out of his hands.