Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One player can see entire map, including enemy tokens.

Nathaniel D.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hi Team, I am running a Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign at the moment and in the last two sessions one of my players has been able to see the entire dungeon map, including enemy tokens that they have not yet seen. The other players seem to be working fine with the dynamic light, and can only see what they should be able to see. This one player can see the entire map as if there was no dynamic light. Before a couple of sessions ago this was working fine for him, and does not seem to have broken for any of the other players. He cannot see the GM layer still, just the background and token layer as if there was no dynamic light. Any suggestions would be great. Unfortunately this player is our twitch streamer, so we need to try and get him sorted.  All players and myself are using latest version of Chrome. Thank you in advance, Nate D
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chrome recently changed how Hardware Acceleration runs in the browser (within the past couple weeks). We have reports that for some users, if they had this browser feature enabled(or disabled) in the past, once the update happened, it caused issues with how DL was processing. Please ask your player to check and see if toggling this fixes the issue. How to turn on/off hardware acceleration in Chrome Step 1 . Open Google Chrome and click the three horizontal lines icon to the far right of the address bar. Now choose Settings. Step 2 . At the bottom of the page click on 'Show advanced settings…' Step 3 . Scroll down the page again until you find the System heading, below which is an option to 'Use hardware acceleration when available'. Click on this box to turn on/off hardware acceleration. Step 4 . Having altered this setting you'll see a link pop up beside the option advising that Chrome requires a restart. Tap restart on this link to restart Chrome with or without hardware acceleration.
Nathaniel D.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Ziechael. I'll ask the player to give this a go, and let you know if it's successful.
Same problem, only one player can see the entire map despite dynamic lighting.  I had him toggle the hardware acceleration from off to on, and restart chrome, and he can still view the entire map.  Interestingly, when I press "ctrl-L" on the token corresponding with his character, I see the correct lighting; however, he sees the entire map. This is creating some difficulties running the session.  Anything else to suggest?
After a little more testing, we determined he has complete view of maps, only restricted by Fog of War, on any page, even pages that he doesn't control any tokens on, and there is no source of light on the page (and the page has dynamic lighting enabled without global illumination).
Some suggestions: Check that Javascript is enabled in the browser. Disable all Chrome add-ins and browser extensions. Can your player try Firefox and see if the problem still happens?
Nathaniel D.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Seems to have sorted itself this session, with no changes. Very odd!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sometimes it is as simple as a caching issue and a simple refresh of the VTT will solve it. Users with low spec computers sometimes time out when loading the dynamic lighting after loading the map and tokens leaving them with a view as if Dynamic Lighting was disabled. Refreshing allows the cached copy of the map to take the brunt of the loading time and loads the DL before a time out occurs. Or at least thats how I've experienced it in the past with some players ;) Either way, glad it is sorted! Happy rolling