Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

UI Elements should not scale with map zoom

TL:DR - UI Elements (Token names, grid line thickness, status effects, etc) should not scale with the Map Zoom slider. With the licensed WotC products that Roll20 has been releasing, I've noticed a trend to using grid sizes of >1 unit.  While that in of itself is not a problem, as it's an excellent way of dealing with maps that don't have a 5' grid on them.  The problem is that when you zoom into the map to see the tokens at the same size, the UI elements scale with the map, and you end up with overly large text and status symbols. Here is a picture of what I mean: In this picture, you can see part of the results of a nasty battle with some Frost Giants last Wednesday (don't worry, Xanaphia was reincarnated from an elf to a dwarf).  The grid size is set to 1 unit, as it was on a 5' map. In this picture, I've set the grid size to 0.5 units, which is what you might set it as for a 10' map.  I scaled all the tokens down so that they would occupy the correct number of grid square for their size.  Then I zoomed the map in, so that the tokens would remain the same size.  You can see that the token labels, are larger, and starting to occlude each other.  The HP bars are overlapping with the text, and the status symbols are nearly as large as the medium sized tokens.  Not only that, the grid line thickness has actually increased. Simply put, the UI elements on the maps should not scale with the map zoom slider.  You could certainly put a separate slider for UI scaling in the settings tab, or separately for each page.  This issue is even worse when you zoom out.  I'm sure we've all tried to zoom out on a large map to measure a distance with the ruler, only to find that the text for the ruler is now so small it's unreadable.
I have this issue too, hope it gets some attention.
Giving this topic a poke, hoping someone picks up on it.

Edited 1515507468
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Related post with proposed solution:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5870797/increase-size-of-bounding-box-points#post-5903441" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5870797/increase-size-of-bounding-box-points#post-5903441</a>

Edited 1515541811
I completely agree with and upvote this however, I do think some that some UI objects should scale and grow large with map zoom as they become completely unreadable on very large, outdoor maps for sea battles or mounted combat and such. It's all related. Things become too big at the small end and too small at the big end.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .