Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Advanced 2nd Edition (simple sheet)] Instructions for using new AD&D-2E rolltemplates

Edited 1488604645
Elena S.
Sheet Author
Note: The new templates are live! At this point the templates have only been added to the sheet so those who would like to can use them. There is a new Wiki Page for  this character sheet  on the roll20 Wiki. It is listed under the Character Sheet Documentation Category! Here is a link to the discussion thread for comments, suggestions, requests regarding the roll templates and future development of the character sheet!   Discussion Thread There are 5 new rolltemplates available on the Dungeons and Dragons - Advanced 2nd Edition (simple sheet). They are intended to give GM's and players more options for displaying the results of different game mechanics. For specific details and properties available to use in the new templates please see the wiki page. The templates are as follows: 2Edefault The header of the new 2Edefault template displays the same "name" property as the standard default template, and you can now optionally add a "subtitle" which will also display in the head of the template centered beneath the name in a reduced font size (8pt). To use the new subtitle property simply add {{ subtitle = <value> }} to your macro. The information displayed in the body of the template, as in the standard default template, uses the allprops() helper function with several specific exclusions. What all props does is allow you to create a custom property in a roll template by simply typing what it's called into the template. This typically looks like {{ <user defined key> = <user defined value> }} The template then creates a table row with two columns in the template and displays the key on the left and the value on the right. You can create as many custom properties as you like! The specific exclusions in this new template are the predefined properties of desc, desc1, desc2. These will cause the template to display the value assigned to them in a single cell that spans both of the template columns, as well as reduce the font size slightly and align the text to the left. Since this template contains both the <name> and <allprops()> properties any macro you currently are using can be converted to use the new template styling by simply changing the template call from default to 2Edefault. That's it, your macro will now display using the new template to determine it's styling in chat. 2Eattack This is a completely new template designed to quickly resolve a weapon attack. It uses some custom graphics for the backgrounds behind the to hit and damage rolls to give it a little bit of flair. The template also will automatically indicate when the attack roll is a critical hit or a fumble, and can optionally display additional critical and fumble results. 2Espell This is another completely new template for displaying spell statistics and effects. 2Esave This template uses special helper functions available through rolltemplates which handle the comparison between the roll and target number of a saving throw. Since the dice engine doesn't like to have the die modified when using the Greater than or less than functions of an inline roll, the common workaround is to apply all of the modifiers in reverse to the target number. This can however eventually lead to the dice engine attempting to compare the roll against a negative number, which returns a null value and the macro crashes or simply fails to finish executing. Using the template logic functions however this is never an issue! When the template is used it will automatically indicate whether the save was successful or failed. It will also display the roll result and target number for verification. 2Echeck This template works similar to the 2Esave template except it is designed to check for a roll that is equal to or lower than the target number instead . Happy gaming
Merged on GitHub and should be available to all players shortly!
Wow, this is really awesome! Will definitely save a lot of time and make things prettier overall :D
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Thanks for your hard work!

Edited 1487350345
Elena S.
Sheet Author
Glad you guys like them! Oh, and head on over to Gargamond's 2E macro Thread to grab a few nice macros already set up for the new templates. Happy Gaming!
I have Dm'd some here, but brand new to creating my own macros. Where should I start? Do you have a macro 101 tutorial? I have been working for months on my dungeons to make them look good, I want the game to go smoothly and look good as well.
heh, check the last reply, I added a link to a thread that's dedicated to macros for 2nd Edition AD&D
Looks awesome
The New Templates look nice ! I will try them out in my game !
Glad to hear it Ricky! **Updated the original post with a link to the wiki page for the character sheet documentation which includes a detailed description of each template and the various properties available to be used by each.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
we really enjoy your new sheet Elena, and your and Gargamond's macros (or modified versions of them) :)

Edited 1488081313
Amanda the Amazon
Sheet Author
On the Attack template, the Fumble panel being the same color as the Header panel is somewhat confusing. Also, I can't get subtitle to work with filling out the name of the enemy using {{sub-title=vs. ?{Enemy Name|Enemy} }} - Just figured it out, Your sample macro has sub-title, but it's actually subtitle.
Amanda the Amazon said: On the Attack template, the Fumble panel being the same color as the Header panel is somewhat confusing. Also, I can't get subtitle to work with filling out the name of the enemy using {{sub-title=vs. ?{Enemy Name|Enemy} }} - Just figured it out, Your sample macro has sub-title, but it's actually subtitle. Oh, sorry about that, I'll fix the example. Thanks for pointing it out.
Just noticed that when your attack rolls is a critical using the template, that your base damage isn't shown (blank circles are shown instead).  If you don't call the specific crit damages, then your base damage should be visible.

Edited 1488599254
Elena S.
Sheet Author
Oh, I'm a ditz... I totally spaced the logic test to see if the crit_s and crit_l properties are used. I'll update the template, but if you simply include those properties and the appropriate damage formulas it will roll them as appropriate. I'll have the template fixed and the pull request submitted to check for custom crit damage in the next github merge.
Okay, the fix is in for the next GitHub merge. Should be working next Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for pointing that out Amanda!

Edited 1489644954
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4777865/2edefault-template-capitalization-bug/?pageforid=4777865#post-4777865" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4777865/2edefault-template-capitalization-bug/?pageforid=4777865#post-4777865</a>