Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Advertisement Create a free account

Map Pins linked to Handouts

Score + 479
1529510567
Oden
KS Backer
+1
+1
+1
1530772957
+1
+1
1 year old post and still no devs response? +1
+1 Fantasy Grounds does a fantastic job of this.  Would love to see this done in Roll20 without using what amounts to a "hack".
+1
+1
I need  this in my life
+1
+1    Just makes sense in an ease-of-use context.
1533245390
+1
+1
1533382336
Kyle
Pro
+1
1533737208
Jen
Pro
Here's a hack that lets you keep invisible GM notes or map pins on the token layer, although that doesn't help players. The initial set-up takes a few minutes, and after that it's easy for future copies. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737689/how-to-make-a-hidden-gm-only-note-on-the-token-layer" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737689/how-to-make-a-hidden-gm-only-note-on-the-token-layer</a> Aside from that, clickable pins/tokens/items as described in the OP here would be great! Especially since [REDACTED COMPETITOR] does so already.
1533742374

Edited 1533742455
Jen said: Here's a hack that lets you keep invisible GM notes or map pins on the token layer, although that doesn't help players. The initial set-up takes a few minutes, and after that it's easy for future copies. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737689/how-to-make-a-hidden-gm-only-note-on-the-token-layer" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737689/how-to-make-a-hidden-gm-only-note-on-the-token-layer</a> Aside from that, clickable pins/tokens/items as described in the OP here would be great! Especially since [REDACTED COMPETITOR] does so already. I've used a method similar to this, but it presents a couple of challenges. First, the GM notes section of a token is less than desirable to work with when compared with a handout. It doesn't present in the same format, and provides limited visibility into the text edit field. I just want to make sure we're not diminishing the need for something better. The second issue is that a savvy player can find stuff hidden on the object layer easily by simply using a targetable macro and moving their cursor across the screen. Crosshairs will appear anytime the player passes over a token. I actually have broader concerns for these implications in that a player can literally get all of the information about an NPC using this method.
1533744892
Jen
Pro
I totally agree that the suggestion I relayed doesn't resolve the original suggestion; that approach only helps GMs.&nbsp; As for savvy players poking around on the object layer... that's a different kind of problem entirely. How would that give them "literally all the information about an NPC" though?
1533745115

Edited 1533746925
You could log in as a player and try this macro, replacing the /w name with your character's name. This is a simple example, but you can pull any attribute from an NPC in this way. /w &lt;your character's name&gt; &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=NPC Stats}} {{name=@{target|character_name}}} {{description=**Bar 1:** @{target|bar1} / @{target|target|bar1|max} **Bar 2:** @{target|bar2} **Bar 3:** @{target|bar3} ----------------------------------------- **NPC Name:** @{target|npc_name} **CR:** @{target|npc_challenge} **HP:** @{target|target|hp|max} **AC:** @{target|npc_ac} ----------------------------------------- **Senses:** @{target|npc_senses} **Immunities:** @{target|npc_immunities} **Resistances:** @{target|npc_resistances} **Vulnerabilities:** @{target|npc_vulnerabilities} }}
My gaming group decided to test Fantasy Grounds for an adventure because of the 5e combat automation and the ability to link to anything, handouts, npcs, characters, etc via pins.&nbsp; Those are the only two things we believe FG does better than Roll20.&nbsp; We're almost done w/ the adventure and debating whether to stay w/ FG or return to Roll20. If pins to handouts were implemented, it would definitely sway our vote...&nbsp; ;)
1534030871
Ray
Pro
+1
+1
1536201820

Edited 1536201926
GMB
Plus
I was surprised when I discovered simple map markers was NOT a function. Currently there is no way to place a marker on a map (like a red dot for a location) and then you click on it to bring up a text box with your info in it. I'm not talking Token format. I'm talking a text box only(like only having the GM notes and nothing else. What do the marketplace adventures do? (haven't purchased one yet).&nbsp;&nbsp; This idea should not take a user to write a script. This should be on the function bar.&nbsp; Is there an easy solution?
GMB said: I was surprised when I discovered simple map markers was NOT a function. Currently there is no way to place a marker on a map (like a red dot for a location) and then you click on it to bring up a text box with your info in it. I'm not talking Token format. I'm talking a text box only(like only having the GM notes and nothing else. What do the marketplace adventures do? (haven't purchased one yet).&nbsp;&nbsp; This idea should not take a user to write a script. This should be on the function bar.&nbsp; Is there an easy solution? Even if it is an easy solution it does not mean it will be done right away or even at all.
+1
+1
1537824184
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GMB said: I was surprised when I discovered simple map markers was NOT a function. Currently there is no way to place a marker on a map (like a red dot for a location) and then you click on it to bring up a text box with your info in it. I'm not talking Token format. I'm talking a text box only(like only having the GM notes and nothing else. What do the marketplace adventures do? (haven't purchased one yet).&nbsp;&nbsp; This idea should not take a user to write a script. This should be on the function bar.&nbsp; Is there an easy solution? Here is a workaround I've come up with. There are better solutions that could be had with existing API scripts, but this should work for any user.
1539867560
Jimmy
Plus
+1
+1
1540620737
+1
1540761934

Edited 1540945885
+1 I've recently startred writing a module for a certain game and it would benefit immensely from a map with drop pins for locations that directly lead to location handouts or to the actual page.&nbsp; Would love to see this worked into the roll20 abilities. Cheers!
+1 please
1540850384
+1 want
+1 Please. What I have done is a workaround by creating a "location" tab on my character sheet. I then link the sheet to a token that has the shape of the pin. I only need to select the pin and pres Shift+double left-click to open the character sheet which acts as my location sheet.
+1
1542010528
+1
+1
I'm also a +1. Is there an API that does this cleaner than making a token with a token action to generate a link in chat that then opens the handout? It is definitely a workaround (thank you!), but the ideal is to be able to just shift click to pull up the handout. I've got access to APIs, so if there's an API solution, I'll take it, lol.
I see using this more like: I create a marker/token on the token layer (optional if players can see it or not and no dynamic lighting uses in it). The DM can create a Player version with usable information into it (maybe even editable to players) -- a storekeeps/contacts name and name of shop, etc OR perhaps make a DM version (not even seen by players) where they can enter the room description with a list of baddies and available treasure (unseen to the players) or notes like "noise here calls more folks from another area"
Eivil said: 1 year old post and still no devs response? +1 And the 12th most popular suggestion that hasn't been implemented. I'm guessing they don't want to do this which is sad.
1546477174
Stephanie B.
Roll20 Team
Hi, there. Dropping in to respond. This is a feature we absolutely want to provide. It's important to you, and it's important to us. Generally, we no longer mark things as "Long Term" unless it's somewhere on our roadmap with a "release in roughly this quarter" timeline (old tickets still have Long Term on them, though). Since we don't have that for this feature, I'm not comfortable committing to when we might be releasing it. But we are aware of the suggestion. We have explored it. We haven't decided not &nbsp;to do it (if we had, we'd comment and close the thread). And we appreciate people continuing to upvote it and comment on it with their support for this suggestion-- that's an excellent way for the suggestion to stay on the radar.
1546478520

Edited 1546478784
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Wait - would adding a "use this token" to a handout in its edit mode be an option? I mean, right now characters are different from handouts primarily in having a few extra tabs, and this: an attached token. This would allow a few things: map pins would open handouts directly, you could put stores on the map as large token and have it open a handout of what goods the store has (or on the store clerk, or a cash register or a store display...) or have points of interest or even quest givers with handouts attached... all sorts of fun stuff!&nbsp; Just allow handouts to have tokens, and have clicking the token open the handout. Handout tokens are always treated as drawings, or can ONLY be drawings, keeping them from having complicated features or any extra attributes.&nbsp; I'm wondering if I couldn't make an API for this...&nbsp; Issues: moving a token after it is set down - who has permissions, who doesn't? Same person as who set the token down? The list of people who can see versus edit? Editors can move handout tokens. Hold and drag versus click starts movement, versus single click. Maybe hovering over the token gives the label, or the token has the label/title of the handout by default?&nbsp; I can see fun versions of this where you have a sign in a particular language - so you make two handouts and two tokens - whoever has the language can "view" the one token, those who can't can "view" the other token... a token-handout you can't "view" is not clickable by you (transparent to your mouse interactions) meaning you could potentially stack them.&nbsp;
1546502181

Edited 1546502425
Stephanie B. said: Hi, there. Dropping in to respond. This is a feature we absolutely want to provide. It's important to you, and it's important to us. Generally, we no longer mark things as "Long Term" unless it's somewhere on our roadmap with a "release in roughly this quarter" timeline (old tickets still have Long Term on them, though). Since we don't have that for this feature, I'm not comfortable committing to when we might be releasing it. But we are aware of the suggestion. We have explored it. We haven't decided not &nbsp;to do it (if we had, we'd comment and close the thread). And we appreciate people continuing to upvote it and comment on it with their support for this suggestion-- that's an excellent way for the suggestion to stay on the radar. I don't understand why it is not already done? Such a simple feature. but hey we have gif animation now... great, but far more useless, for QoL. Come on, this has been ask for more than a year, and nothing!
1546547319
Stephanie B.
Roll20 Team
I don't understand why it is not already done? Such a simple feature. but hey we have gif animation now... great, but far more useless, for QoL. Come on, this has been ask for more than a year, and nothing! So, without getting too far into the technical reasons for that, every feature builds on something else. Animations is the releasable precursor to a feature with even more upvotes than map pins (a weather layer). And additional layers makes map pins easier and more sustainable to implement. So, while it may seem like it's been a year with nothing, the work done getting animations working isn't wasted when it comes to implementing a feature like map pins.
+1
1547038008
+1
1547358461
Jay
Plus
+1
+1