Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Really in need of guidance to get started

With no intention to waste time with anyone, I just need to be blunt. I am simply lost. I have researched and looked at sources about dnd, and I don't know how to really start. Making characters, finding a good game to join. I just don't know how to start. I have never been able to physically play dnd (I understand roll20 is not just for this purpose) I want to just get into it, and no matter how much I research about each edition, each term, each detail, I can't bring myself to just start. I need guidance, and I am asking for it. The kind I need really is generally how to start beyond looking at the tutorial and reading the manuals. I can't really substitute that with experience or talking with people about it. For starters, I am unsure how to modestly input a character. If anyone is willing to help, I would very much appreciate it. I am not even sure if I am posting in the right forum for this.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
1) Which Edition, there are five of them? If you can't decide... then 5E is the most popular one, Pathfinder is basically a variation of 3.5E and then true 3.5E.  Or roll 1d3 and choose that way. :P 2) There seems to be a few 'mass newbie' groups kicking off in the Looking for Group section. Maybe toss your name in those.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
First off Welcome to Roll20 Maxwell. If you haven't watched the various videos and followed the suggestions in our  New to Roll20 thread , do so. Afterwards just buckle in and go for various games that interest you.
Paul B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
No shame in just joining a game that welcomes new players... just apply to a lot and one will accept you. The best way to learn is just start playing IMO! Most DMs, if they have created a "welcomes new players" game, are going to be quite patient with you, and don't mind questions. That's my two cents worth...