Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Global Illumination Issue

I'm setting up a new campaign and I have global illumination checked but when I give a token sight and use Cntl+L to test the line of sight on walls its just completely black. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Oh I see even with Global Illumination on you cant leave emits light blank or it will just be all black

Edited 1487682502
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Hi Lios. No, you don't need any light but the token need sight.
For me if i don't set emit light to 0 or a number it is completly black for the character I don't know if that's just a bug for me
Double check to make sure the token option Has Sight is checked.
Yeah they do, but if the light boxes are empty its just darkness. However a value of 0 or 1 illuminates the whole map.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Lios, that certainly doesn't sound like expected behaviour so maybe something isn't quite set up right... could we get screenshots of your page settings, token settings and the tokens location on the dynamic lighting layer?
<a href="https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiKe01Q03rfKn3eQz-HEyTYgQyX3" rel="nofollow">https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiKe01Q03rfKn3eQz-HEyTYgQyX3</a>
Token Setting Screenshots were taken with CNTL+L to preview. As you can see the global illumination works, but when the emits light first box is empty it has the same effect of having player has sight unchecked.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Interesting... your set up looks to be correct and in my tests the vision should be enabled even without a value in the light emission boxes. Can you test this again with another token using the same setup but no value (as per the first screenshot)? It could simply be a buggy token but if there is a deeper issue it will help identify that and we can escalate to some true troubleshooting. While this isn't game breaking it certainly isn't working as intended for you and whatever is causing it may have issues elsewhere that it would be great to eradicate for you :)
Same thing with different tokens, even tried it on another campaign different map tokens same settings same thing all black until I put a value. I don't know if the issue is just for the CNTL+L and not what actually players controlling see or if it is a client side issue with my browser.&nbsp;
I use Google Chrome Windows 10 most up to date versions.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok, lets assume there is some client side funkiness going on and run through the standard tech help, at the very least it will exclude a lot of potential issues :) Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!
Was able to pinpoint the issue, at some point somehow my hardware acceleration in Chrome was disabled. Was having issues with beam effects breaking for me and that was the issue and turning it back on fixed that issue aswell.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I'm glad it was such a simple fix!&nbsp; This'll get marked Resolved and closed, but please don't hesitate to start a new thread if you have any issues in the future!