Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pokemon Tabletop United help

So this is my first time using the Roll20 app as well as DMing a PTU game..Long story short, I have filled quite a few character sheets for the Pokemon in my game and in doing so I've been practicing dealing damage with them and all seemed to be going fine until I turned on 3D dice. Lets say I have a Vulpix who uses ember which starts at 2d6+8, his Special attack is 4 so you'd think it would be quite simple to do that math, then subtract it from the defending Pokemons Sp Def. Well apparently it rolls 6d6 instead of the 2d6 so I've been trying to wrap my head around it. Its the same for every Pokemon. Side note ( I have the Pokemon turned on Targeted so I can click the macro then left click which Pokemon I want to attack. I'm probably overlooking something but I just cant figure it out. Help would be greatly appreciated!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
This is a common problem with Character Sheets, not just Pokemon.  Character sheet's have formatted output called Roll Templates.  Those templates determine what is shown in the Chat, however, every option that has dice will get rolled and only what should be shown will be visible in the chat.  I'm more familiar with Dungeons and Dragons 5e, so let me give an example of what I mean there that will hopefully clear this up. In 5e DnD, if you roll a 20 on a d20 for an attack, you roll double the damage dice (critical hit).  If you have a weapon that does 1d8 damage and you roll the attack and damage as part of a Roll Template by clicking an attack on the Character Sheet, you will see 2d8 get rolled, even if it isn't a critical hit.  This is because the template's formatting occurs after all the dice are rolled.  The template takes both the regular (1d8) and critical hit (1d8) damage, but only displays both if the attack roll was actually a 20. Hopefully that clears up why you are seeing that.  There isn't a way of preventing the extra dice from being rolled, I'm afraid.
The Aaron has it. In PTU, you add the DB twice on a crit, so two of those dice you see are for your normal attack, and the other four are for the critical.
The Aaron said: This is a common problem with Character Sheets, not just Pokemon.  Character sheet's have formatted output called Roll Templates.  Those templates determine what is shown in the Chat, however, every option that has dice will get rolled and only what should be shown will be visible in the chat.  I'm more familiar with Dungeons and Dragons 5e, so let me give an example of what I mean there that will hopefully clear this up. In 5e DnD, if you roll a 20 on a d20 for an attack, you roll double the damage dice (critical hit).  If you have a weapon that does 1d8 damage and you roll the attack and damage as part of a Roll Template by clicking an attack on the Character Sheet, you will see 2d8 get rolled, even if it isn't a critical hit.  This is because the template's formatting occurs after all the dice are rolled.  The template takes both the regular (1d8) and critical hit (1d8) damage, but only displays both if the attack roll was actually a 20. Hopefully that clears up why you are seeing that.  There isn't a way of preventing the extra dice from being rolled, I'm afraid. Thanks so much for clearing that up! I was thinking I had messed up all my character sheets or something, but that makes total sense. Thanks to you as well Corin!