Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D Noob help wanted.

First i like to say thank you for reading this post everyone. I have never played D&D before and am looking to be taught how to play or at least pointed into the right direction for stuff to read to help. I would also love to get a group if anyone would be willing to hold my hand through a campaign or a quest of some sort official or otherwise. thanks all
Look up something called "Critical Role", these guys run a stream on twitch and you can watch them play. I know it may sound boring to watch someone else play DnD but of would you be wrong. Also Matt Mercer is a great GM from Critical Role and posts tutorials on youtube. If you are looking for something easy I would suggest 5E, to me it feels pretty streamlined and much more easy to use.
Thanks for the help Jhwk those guys are great and really inspired me to do some more digging into what class I'd love to play and race. I had a question about my race I'd like to play, I see that in 5E there is no half-dragon like in 4E just a Dragonborn. I kind of like the idea of being more human like than a large reptile creature does this matter at all or would this be up to the DM? Or would this just be nothing and a choocie of apperence for my charecter. I would choose between the two (Human or Dragonborn) if I have to. 
In the grand scheme of things, everything is almost up to the GM. Just talk to them, figure out stats and then you would have a "homebrew". Also there may be a custom race like that already made online. Just whatever you choose you'd need to run it by you GM first. If you are worried about lack of choices in 5E, Pathfinder is full of choices and actually my favorite edition, it just has a lot to it and can be a bit overwhelming for a new player. I don't see a problem with just choosing stats from one or the other and making it just a visual representation either. But like I said see if it is okay with whatever GM you have.
Thanks for replying now just wish me luck getting into a game on this site lol
ZeusBuccaneer said: Thanks for the help Jhwk those guys are great and really inspired me to do some more digging into what class I'd love to play and race. I had a question about my race I'd like to play, I see that in 5E there is no half-dragon like in 4E just a Dragonborn. I kind of like the idea of being more human like than a large reptile creature does this matter at all or would this be up to the DM? Or would this just be nothing and a choocie of apperence for my charecter. I would choose between the two (Human or Dragonborn) if I have to.  4E also doesn't have a half-dragon, but basically just dragonborn.  If you are looking to try out 4e, we have a campaign that is very new player friendly and has been going on for years.  One of the primary things about a lot of 4e games, and this is true of our game, is that you have to stick to the rules when its a rules thing and otherwise you are free to describe your character as anything you want.  We have had a player play a Space Marine from Warhammer40k alongside a character who is a 'Tsundragon' and is a take on an anime character.  Its very much a 'play what you want, when you want' style of campaign.  If you are interested, toss me a message on here or on Skype at Gravymattingly.
What everyone is saying is great. Dnd adventures league is a good place to start. And you could potentially hope from game to game too. Bit really you just need to hop on a game. There is a new player friendly button on the seach.l for game section. And I'm be like catching fish. Use a net. Wish you the best. I would offer a spot, but my game is full. 
dont get discouraged either man -- finding a game is the hardest part of DND -- yes pathfinder is  the best and most fun but  it is so overwhelming for new players and there is so much to deal with -- 5E is the best to start with due to the fact it is so simplyfied and streamlined.  Either way good luck man
Hey if you are mature and ready to RP me and my buddy are new but know enough to play, hes trying to run a game hes a good writer night times est