Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG] An interesting setting and improvisational GM

I've been RPing for 15+ years with a few different groups in several different systems, GMing about half the time.  I'm a fairly immersive player insofar as I try to have my character's action be determined by their motives. That sounds so trivial, yet a lot of games rely on metagame norms such as working together because  we're a party or accepting quests because  the magistrate says that he's looking for someone to go fetch some McGuffin. Sometimes my character-motives-first approach creates character vs. character conflicts, which I'm fine with in moderation, but not everyone is. All that being said, I'm not so immersive that I'd ever wear a cape or pass up the opportunity to make a Star Wars or Monty Python reference. What I'm looking for: An experienced GM who is willing to share narrative control with their players. Also someone who understands that success with a cost is much more interesting than "no, you can't do that" or "no, that didn't work". Players need not be experienced but need to be adult as characters should swear when they get shot in the face. What I'm not looking for: Being part of a scrappy band of adventurers who, out of character, plot maximally effective actions to overcome the GM's minions, then loot their bodies in search of the xp in their pockets. So any form of D&D is out, as are most combat-heavy games unless the setting is very interesting. Ruleset-wise, I'm flexible; I know at least a dozen systems, and if I don't know your system, I'll carefully read and learn it (I understand how frustrating it can be when players don't know the rules and so won't do that to you). Availability: not Mondays, otherwise I'm fairly flexible assuming no large timezone conflicts. I'm GMT-6.
You sound like my kind of guy. I've had characters leave parties because he didn't like the direction they were going. Have you ever looked at FATE or Cypher? They are all about the story and the character. FATE core sounds exactly like the system you are looking for; everyone has a narrative in that system and a say in the creation of the world. I would love to chat with you about a game time and system to use, we are in the same time zone... CST I believe.