Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Isometric measuring on standard grid

This submission is posted on behalf of my good bud and fellow DnD communtiy player / DM Ascendant, @Nsanelilmunky. Her suggestion:  Recommendation to Roll20 would be to add something to the measurement tool and/or map tool so that we could measure between heights. Since it all comes down to measuring the third side of a triangle (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) it wouldn't take much to have something to calculate distances between different levels. If there was a way to set a boxed area down on the map layer where I could input a constant height, it wouldn't take too much computing to give the distance between a player and an object on a higher or lover level. It would be best if they gave the distance on one plane (a to b) and then the distance between planes (a to c) when measuring if they did this.... For example. If I was able to place on a map that a certain area has something 10 feet above it, and a character from 10 feet away were to measure over to it, it would show the basic distance of 10 feet, but also the distance between the character and the area that is 10 feet up (which would be about 14.14 feet in this case, or round down/up to 14 or 15 feet). I could make a chart of these heights, but it won't help players at all. This is meant for use with the normal grid maps that people usually use for Roll20. Like, even if you can't see the upper level on the map, people can still RP about it being up there, and this would help them make sure that they're still using their ranges between levels.
Closing to encourage using bigger thread.