Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Solid Objects that don't obstruct light?

DrX
Marketplace Creator
I'm trying to create a solid object that the player token cannot cross, and NOT be a dynamic lighting object. Example: You have a box a knee level, and a light source at ceiling level, light should be able to pass over the object and the token still not occupy the same space as the object.  I'm also trying to discover how to make obstructions that the players cannot cross that allow light to pass over. The scenario is a recreation of the Red Hand of Doom, and there is a bridge that the players will be on. The scene is at night so having a torch would be nice, however the side of the bridge should allow light to cross over it, and the players should be able to see the map without dragging their token past the edge of the bridge.  How would I go about creating this?

Edited 1488080980
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Probably I'd just tell my players they can't cross that area. Anything beyond that is probably going to be pretty complicated to deal with and unlikely to be satisfactory. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
DrX said: I'm trying to create a solid object that the player token cannot cross, and NOT be a dynamic lighting object. Sounds like an idea that might belong in the Suggestions Forum.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Collision Detection was an implementation of walls blocking movement before it was part of the DL system. The script can use paths on any layer, so you can have something on the GM layer for the script to care about, and something different on the DL layer for lighting.
Alternatively, you could put a difficult terrain marker on it so players know they can't cross it or that it may take additional movement.
ou can make a DL wall and add a "camera" token with all players having control on the far side of the wall. They can then "see" the other side without the ability to cross.
DrX
Marketplace Creator
All really great! Thank you everyone for your assistance!! I'm really leaning to that Collision Detection script. I'm still very new to roll20, but that code looks like it lives inside my skill set comfort zone and it may be fun to pop in there are learn how to adapt the coding. The Aaron I have one player who tests the boundaries of meta tabletop... so I have to Nanny-M his rolls and actions. Good player, good friend, cheats when he can. I'm afraid I haven't discovered a difficult terrain marker yet, to be honest I only have 1.25 hours a night to dedicate to working on transferring our module from paper to Roll20. I typically allow myself 30 min of forum trolling to learn, 30 min of application, then 25 min of photoshopping. Pretty strict time budget, I'll see what I can learn on the markers. al e. your MtG is showing, love the workaround! If my coding mouth gets away from me, I'm going to have to give that a shot Andrew, I'm going to attempt the Collision Detection code, if it works as intended that's the suggestion I'll pop in, thanks!
DrX said: I'm afraid I haven't discovered a difficult terrain marker yet I posted one way back in this post: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3516020/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3516020/</a>
Gold
Forum Champion
al e. said: ou can make a DL wall and add a "camera" token with all players having control on the far side of the wall. They can then "see" the other side without the ability to cross. Brilliant! Similar to my droppable Torch icon that always lives as a "Character" in the Journals to drop where-ever needed. I'm going to try Al's method and create a Camera Character / Default Token to drop where-needed. &nbsp;Thanks again for sharing your techniques al e.
DrX
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Rabulias, with a combination of the assists given in this thread and some graphics I've made based off of your suggestion the solution(s) have worked well.