Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Script Recommendations for someone new to the API?

Edited 1489039496
Hello there fellow roll20 enthusiasts! I am DMing on roll20 for about a year now, and finally decided to upgrade to a Pro subscription mainly for the transmogrifer since i was setting up/combining multiple campaigns to run at the moment. I was always interested in the cool stuff that the API allows you to do to enhance your game and make running on roll20 go smoother than ever, but i am kind of lost at where to start. Could anyone who regularily uses API scripts maybe give a few tips/recommendations for scripts to start with? I am mainly looking for scripts that help reduce in prep time or give some more visual appeal to the game by adding fx etc. I will definitly be using the Shaped companion script and play around with that, but apart from that i would be really thankful for recommendations :) Also, the only system i am interested in at the moment and actively running is D&D 5e. Best Greetings and thanks in advance, zero
Hello Zeroius, I hope you are enjoying your Pro status and the perks it brings. I run quite a few games and am constantly using the Transmogrifier to shuttle maps, etc, from one game to another. What scripts do I use the most?  Torch, Token-Mod, Blind Roll, Random-Rotate, Table Export, Recursive Table, Page FX, and Sound FX. On occasion I'll use PowerCards 3, Spin Token, Whispers, and Log Note.  Right now I am testing Teleport and the new Alterbars to see how well they work in my games. As new scripts are introduced or evolve the list changes though some are still a bit dated. I used to have a bunch of scripts to generate treasure but was able to replace them with a Recursive Table and being able to import Roll Tables using Table Export to recreate them with macros. And all of these scripts, for the most part, are run with lots of macros. Every time I think I have a macro the way I want it something changes (I see a better way of doing it, or a nicer display, etc). Setting up macros in new games can be a pain. So I borrowed a page from others and modified parts of the Dungeon Ready Doors script to just build macros for me. I then have to still go in and set which ones I want in the macro bar. But it is still a lot easier than copying and pasting 300+ macros!
Aura/Tint Healthcolor script is a favorite: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4630083/script-a" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4630083/script-a</a>...
Thank you Guys for the recommendations! I have heard from several places now, that i should avoid using the 1-click install for certain scripts like the Shaped-Companion script, but i assume that is due to frequent updates right? So using the 1-click install on older "finished" or simple utility scripts should be fine right?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You're correct. &nbsp;It can be a problem if you have a sheet that updates rapidly and a companion script that does the same. &nbsp;The sheet and the script are in different repos so it's entirely possible that the 1-click installed version and the current version of the sheet will be at different points. &nbsp;With the Shaped Sheet in particular, you're probably better off running an explicit version of the sheet and the companion. Other scripts should be completely fine for 1-click most of the time. The only issue would be when there is interdependence between scripts and a bug somewhere. &nbsp;That rarely happens though.
The Aaron said: You're correct. &nbsp;It can be a problem if you have a sheet that updates rapidly and a companion script that does the same. &nbsp;The sheet and the script are in different repos so it's entirely possible that the 1-click installed version and the current version of the sheet will be at different points. &nbsp;With the Shaped Sheet in particular, you're probably better off running an explicit version of the sheet and the companion. Other scripts should be completely fine for 1-click most of the time. The only issue would be when there is interdependence between scripts and a bug somewhere. &nbsp;That rarely happens though. Thanks for the confirmation ;) I got the companion sheet running without any hassle by manually installing! Really handy stuff, going to look into adding more scripts after tonight's session, but my players are already pretty happy about only the companion sheet :D

Edited 1489077528
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Some of these recommendations are shameless plugs for my own scripts, but here are my top scripts: Torch - Great for adding atmospheric lighting of torches flickering * EasyExperience - I made this script based on the ExperienceTracker script to handle a few more use cases. Makes keeping track of player's XP a cinch. * Roll20 Audio Master - Someone above mentioned Sound FX, this is Sound FX's burlier brother. I made this script because I wanted to be able to do anything that I could from the jukebox control panel without having to go into the jukebox control panel. The only thing it can't do is add new tracks. It can do several things that the native jukebox is not set up for as well. Pairs nicely with my * Customizable Roll Listener script to setup critical sound effects, attack sound effects, or other content dependent sound effects. I'm also working with SkyCaptainXIII to get this updated so that it can be used inside his Powercards commands; once I'm done with my update for Page Navigator, I'll be working on this. * Page Navigator - The campaign that I run is spread across an entire nation in Golarion (Numeria) and each location has several maps, in addition in any given session my players can move throughout any region in a city with little or no warning. I made Page Navigator because Roll20's default page toolbar is very difficult to work with if you need to move players more than a few pages up/down the line. The script will also handle PC token creation for you on each new map, and will allow players to interact with destinations/transition points more directly by triggering a move (or asking for approval of the move) when they move their tokens to certain points on the map. I'm currently working on a large update to this script to improve the teleportation feature, menu system, and add several new features. The update should be out in a couple weeks. Recursive Tables &&nbsp; TableExport - This is great for setting up rollable tables for treasure hoards, random shop generation, random encounter generation. Pretty much any time that you would be looking at several connected tables in real life or would need to look at a table based on a dX and then roll some dice to determine the specifics of an effect. Table Export just makes creating and editing rollable tables very easy. If you are interested in either of these, take a look at&nbsp; Eastwood's Table Exchange thread for some great tables (or ideas of what can be done) and several options for google sheets to parse TableExport commands into or out of tables. Tokenmod or&nbsp; Chatsetattr - great for adjusting token/character attributes on the fly from chat. The Health Aura script mentioned by Ravenknight above - This is very useful as it saves time because my players don't have to ask me "how's this guy look?" during combat. Welcome to the addiction of Pro and API scripts, Scott * These scripts are my scripts, so I may be biased towards them, but I'd like to think they really are useful ;)

Edited 1489079549
Scott C. said: Some of these recommendations are shameless plugs for my own scripts, but here are my top scripts: Torch - Great for adding atmospheric lighting of torches flickering * EasyExperience - I made this script based on the ExperienceTracker script to handle a few more use cases. Makes keeping track of player's XP a cinch. * Roll20 Audio Master - Someone above mentioned Sound FX, this is Sound FX's burlier brother. I made this script because I wanted to be able to do anything that I could from the jukebox control panel without having to go into the jukebox control panel. The only thing it can't do is add new tracks. It can do several things that the native jukebox is not set up for as well. Pairs nicely with my * Customizable Roll Listener script to setup critical sound effects, attack sound effects, or other content dependent sound effects. I'm also working with SkyCaptainXIII to get this updated so that it can be used inside his Powercards commands; once I'm done with my update for Page Navigator, I'll be working on this. * Page Navigator - The campaign that I run is spread across an entire nation in Golarion (Numeria) and each location has several maps, in addition in any given session my players can move throughout any region in a city with little or no warning. I made Page Navigator because Roll20's default page toolbar is very difficult to work with if you need to move players more than a few pages up/down the line. The script will also handle PC token creation for you on each new map, and will allow players to interact with destinations/transition points more directly by triggering a move (or asking for approval of the move) when they move their tokens to certain points on the map. I'm currently working on a large update to this script to improve the teleportation feature, menu system, and add several new features. The update should be out in a couple weeks. Recursive Tables &&nbsp; TableExport - This is great for setting up rollable tables for treasure hoards, random shop generation, random encounter generation. Pretty much any time that you would be looking at several connected tables in real life or would need to look at a table based on a dX and then roll some dice to determine the specifics of an effect. Table Export just makes creating and editing rollable tables very easy. If you are interested in either of these, take a look at&nbsp; Eastwood's Table Exchange thread for some great tables (or ideas of what can be done) and several options for google sheets to parse TableExport commands into or out of tables. Tokenmod or&nbsp; Chatsetattr - great for adjusting token/character attributes on the fly from chat. The Health Aura script mentioned by Ravenknight above - This is very useful as it saves time because my players don't have to ask me "how's this guy look?" during combat. Welcome to the addiction of Pro and API scripts, Scott * These scripts are my scripts, so I may be biased towards them, but I'd like to think they really are useful ;) Thanks for the Recommendations Scott! I was looking at EasyExperience yesterday. Normally i go for milestone leveling only, but for a new LmoP campaign for new players who i want to give the "classic" experience with awarding XP, this will be very handy :) The Recursive Tables Script i am defintly going to use to upgrade my rollable tables. I set up nearly all the DMG & PHB Tables in my game, so i am glad i am finally able to combine some of those. I was quite frustrated when i set them up, that this is not a standard functunality :P The Page Navigator also sounds like an awesome script, looking forward to trying it out! I wish roll20 would have a better inbuilt system of organizing pages, but we are lucky that we got all you great script people on here! Best Greetings, zero

Edited 1489080099
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Glad you're interested in them. While Page Navigator is functional in its current version. I'd recommend waiting on implementing it until I get the update out. It's going to change the command syntax as well as how pages are tagged. In addition, the current implementation of the teleportation code is very slow, which has been fixed in the update already.