Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Better Inventory Manager

We currently use the 5th edition OGL sheet, and the inventory area is not the best.  It's very scrunched, making it hard to have any descriptions without having to scroll through the name.  Does anyone have a suggestion on another way to keep inventory, digitally shared, so everyone doesn't have to hand write everything down (nothing wrong with hand writing it, but it does become difficult keeping track of items when people are continuously passing weapons/items/potions/etc back & forth).  Like a single-source website that everyone has access to and can manage it through that website, or something in roll20 itself?  
A shared spreadsheet on Google Drive comes to mind.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We use a handout. I have a different naturalcrit site for items found by players, but we keep track of it on the "lootbag" handout.
We use inventory manager slim.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2309387/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2309387/slug%7D</a>
I've also used the Inventory Manager API, and it's a load of work to set up, but is fun once you've got it going.&nbsp; It fell apart for me, because we had too many players moving in and out of the game, so I had to keep setting up new inventory areas. Another possibility would be to create a custom card deck of inventory items.&nbsp; The cards can be dealt by the GM, or chosen by the players.&nbsp; They can also pass items to one another in that way by playing the item card to the table and then another player picking it up. EDIT:&nbsp; I saw that Kryx already mentioned a handout, which was my first thought.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In my 2 and a half year old game I've tried a variety of things: We started with the full version of the API script mentioned above which was a LOT of work to set up but was great for the early days, it soon got too difficult to keep track of the crazy variety of things that a 3.5e game can throw up. Then I shifted to using the players inventory tab on their character sheet for equipment and decks of cards for consumables which allowed players to drop their potions and scrolls etc onto the VTT to effectively 'use' them but that soon became too labour intensive for prepping the cards along with the actual storyline and maps. My next evolution was to take the code for the sheet I was using and tweak the inventory tab to allow for easier recording and tracking of consumables and ammunition as well as slotted magic items as my players were getting to a high enough level to be having to decide which rings to actually wear for that day lol. Most recently I have built a google site which my players can use to track the timeline, view the numbers of enemies they have defeated, view their quest log and most importantly view the contents of the rogues portable hole which is used as a general loot store on dungeon crawls. It is here that they can discuss and assign the loot (or mark it for sale for when they next hit civilisation...). This final setup seems to work best for me and my players, allowing them a measure of visibility on the pooled gear while still protecting their privacy on personal stock which is visible without extra bandwidth usage in game (some of my players are a bit shifty and others just have terrible internet connections!). Ultimately you'll find something that works best for your group but for my 2p worth (post-brexit that is likely 0.01c worth...) is that if you want quick reference in play: use a hand out that everyone can edit (keep a copy of the player data in the GM-notes after each session if you don't trust your players... they like to add a sneaky 100gp sometimes when they think you aren't looking lol). If it is more organised and potentially require formulas to help quickly assign, calculate or otherwise handle things then a google sheet in a no-brainer. Most of all, have fun ;)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I use a google sheet for inventory. My players aren't very cutthroat, so it automatically divides monetary shares of treasure, and notes who claimed what item. For things that will be used in game (potions, individual magic items, etc.) they use their character sheets.