Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting: A fix to the Door Dilema.

(Skip the next two paragraphs if you just want the solution) So, I'm kinda new to Dynamic Lighting, in fact I just started plotting it out today. I got to doing doors, and hit a bit of a dead end and came to the forums. I wasn't able to see if anyone had an easy solution apart from move the Lighting Block out of the way and move it back if the players close the door. Someone had suggested moving it to a GM layer, but as far as I can tell you can't move objects to the Dynamic Lighting layer for some reason (Probably to avoid freedraw objects being moved into the layer and causing issues). People suggested just rotating the block, but since it's a line you have to zoom in SO far in order to rotate that it's too tedious. The Fix : I was making some cell bars with small squares, and made a door out of these small blocks too. In order to make it easier to delete later, I grouped these together and that's when it became obvious. Groups actually have a large  object selection box, which makes rotating easy. This basically means that if you draw doors out of two lines instead of one, then group them together, you can easily rotate this as if it were an actual door. Someone might have suggested this before, but in case I was the first to come across this solution, I thought I'd share just to make sure.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The obvious options are to put doors so that they go from the 'centre' of a 2x2 to an edge, or along the edge-corner of a 2x1 tile.
Someone had suggested moving it to a GM layer, but as far as I can tell you can't move objects to the Dynamic Lighting layer for some reason Using advanced keyboard options you can do this.  Select the line, then hit and hold the L key followed by the , key.  It will move the item and your client to the Walls (Dynamic Lighting) layer.