Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Vet player LFG for 5th edition

Greetings. I am a veteran player of dungeons and dragons. I started playing first edition back in the 80s when I was a kid, and played through third edition until MMORPGS killed tabletop gaming in my area. I am currently looking for a group, any days but Friday are open. I would prefer a heavier RP game, not just hack and slash, where character development is as important as dungeon crawling. My pros- 1. I always show up. If for some reason I cant I will let you know asap. 2. I'm not a shrinking violet, I will participate. 3. I come prepared. I will spend quite a bit of time developing my character. 4. I can lead or follow 5. I will do everything I can to make the most out of a campaign. 6. I don't expect perfection. Nobody is perfect, and we are all learning still. 7. I still love this game! My cons- 1. I am a vet player. I have seen almost everything over the years. It's pretty easy for me to see through a lot of plots if they aren't original, so can be challenging for a DM. 2. I cant abide people wasting time. By wasting time I mean people who go ninja afk/take forever to make a decision/arent prepared. I come prepared, i expect the other players to do the same. 3. Can't play in a linear campaign. If you try to force the party down a certain path, it's not going to be fun for me. My enjoyment of dungeons and dragons is the fact that you make the decisions, and that it's not a linear game. It's one thing to have a quest that the characters choose to go down, it's another when a DM artificially forces the quest on the group. 4. I dislike odd race/classes. I really don't want to play with a kobold bladesinger warlock lesbian paragon of tiamat or a half hobgoblin half giant former prostitute that is now a psionicist. Why would I ever adventure with those creatures, and a DM that would allow it would give me pause as they obviously have a hard time saying no.
Those are some very interesting traits there, Shawn. Personally, I don't feel like most of your cons are actually cons, they make a lot of sense! They're more like a list of requirements for your prospective game, and they are all very reasonable. Point of this is that I wholly agree with and also have the same "pros and cons" for myself. I would most definitely enjoy playing a game with you at the table.
Well, they can be cons depending on the situation. It can be hard on a new DM or one that isnt very prepared.
bump
I would love to have you in my group if you can handle a lot of new players. So they might take awhile to make a decision because they aren't sure what they can do and just aren't as experienced. I will tell you that the very beginning of my campaign is going to be very much a tutorial to help new players get their feet wet with the mechanics so it will feel very linear and handholdy but after that, it's whatever from there. As far as odd races/classes go, I tell everyone that if it doesn't make sense, then it's a no. I don't mind people thinking outside the box of the "usual" races but I tend to draw lines when people try to go overboard and it really doesn't make sense. For instance, in my current campaign, we have a sea elf rogue, a sunelf (high elf) bard, and a catfolk gunslinger. I worked with them to figure out a solid backstory for their characters so that there isn't really much room for nonsense. Mostly because I'm very much into a good RP that makes sense so that even if you don't see the plot twist coming, after it's revealed, you can follow the breadcrumbs backward and it all makes sense. I just wanted to give you a tiny bit of information about things so that you can make a decision on whether or not you'd be interested in a group setting like that.